Author Topic: Baseball 2018  (Read 15850 times)

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
Re: Baseball 2018
« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »
What's a little peculiar is how little traction the story's gotten on some of the sites I visit - the only proper article about it is behind Baseball Prospectus's paywall. I get the feeling the vast majority of Fangraphs' writers are more bothered about getting hired by a front office than they are about discussing anything other than stats; but I'm surprised people like Michael Baumann and Sheryl Ring haven't written about it (maybe they're just polishing up their takes on it).

But this shit is pretty serious and I hope the Astros (who've not exactly showed themselves to be the nicest people in baseball) get some severe punishment for this.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #241 on: November 13, 2019, 09:36:07 PM »
Of course, a couple of hours after I post this, the articles start popping up. I ought to just shut the hell up.

This might be big enough news for the MLB Network to cover it, even!

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • ...and I really do mean that.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #242 on: November 14, 2019, 09:15:59 PM »
Of course, a couple of hours after I post this, the articles start popping up. I ought to just shut the hell up.

This might be big enough news for the MLB Network to cover it, even!

We shall see! I read about it on the Athletic, I think they broke the story but now people are going back and finding all sorts of irregularities. Alex Bregman seems to be a repeat offender (including stealing a win from my beloved Blue Jays), but it looks like this goes back to 2017 (when the Astros managed to reduce their K rate by 38% in a single year, the largest such fall in MLB since the swing-happy days of the late ‘90s). Knowing exactly what pitch is coming at 2 strikes would certainly help on that front.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #243 on: November 15, 2019, 04:37:25 PM »
It's so out in the open now, and the team seems so unrepentant about being staffed by pieces of shit, that MLB will have to do something. I hope.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • ...and I really do mean that.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #244 on: November 15, 2019, 05:40:14 PM »
You’d hope so. I think this will put a lot more pressure on the allegations of violence and the league turning a blind eye to it. Osuna pitched in the World Series for fucks sake, after getting (correctly) immediately turfed out by the Jays so it hasn’t hurt his career at all. See also Aroldis Chapman who just pitched in the ALCS (though gave up a walkoff dinger lolol).

The sign stealing stuff is too esoteric to have much traction outside of baseball circles (it took me 3 paragraphs to explain what was happening), but it’s an extra item that makes MLB look bad so they’ll probably need to address a lot of other ongoing concerns just so they can demonstrate willingness to change on a number of fronts.

Sports writers would do themselves a favour if they called this “cheating” rather than “stealing signs”. One is much easier to understand and would carry more weight with external publications covering this.

Rambling fuck it post