Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:56:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Baseball 2018

Started by Ferris, March 29, 2018, 01:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Thank you BlodwynPig!

There was a weird bit of business in the Cardinals / Diamondbacks game, when the Dbacks manager came out to complain about one of their fellows striking out, suggesting that Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina had used some "pitch-framing" to make a ball appear like a strike. He apparently said "this motherfucker here" while referring to Yadi, and that phrase is a bit of a no-no in for latinx people still, so Yadi lost his cool. The fact that the manager was tossed and Yadi wasn't indicates the ump agreed with him.

Then the Cardinals lost so damn it all anyway.

BlodwynPig

newbridge

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 09, 2018, 01:18:46 PM
Thank you BlodwynPig!

There was a weird bit of business in the Cardinals / Diamondbacks game, when the Dbacks manager came out to complain about one of their fellows striking out, suggesting that Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina had used some "pitch-framing" to make a ball appear like a strike. He apparently said "this motherfucker here" while referring to Yadi, and that phrase is a bit of a no-no in for latinx people still, so Yadi lost his cool. The fact that the manager was tossed and Yadi wasn't indicates the ump agreed with him.

Then the Cardinals lost so damn it all anyway.

Yadier Molina is the biggest chump in professional sports. Cannot imagine how anyone could root for him.

BlodwynPig

How rich do you have to be to go to every game involving your team throughout the season?

Ferris

Quote from: newbridge on April 10, 2018, 12:28:54 AM
Yadier Molina is the biggest chump in professional sports. Cannot imagine how anyone could root for him.

Rougned Odor begs to differ. Cleveland SP Trevor Bauer is a big Trump fan and cut his hand open playing with a drone during last years post season so he's a wally and all.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 10, 2018, 01:42:37 AM
How rich do you have to be to go to every game involving your team throughout the season?

Home season tickets can run you thousands depending on where they are, that'll get you 81/162 games. The rest of the time, you need to fly all over the continental US and buy tickets. If they make it to the post season, you can pay hundred per ticket.

Call it $50-100k including flights, hotels, and hotdogs (vital).

Famous Mortimer

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 10, 2018, 02:39:39 AM

Home season tickets can run you thousands depending on where they are, that'll get you 81/162 games. The rest of the time, you need to fly all over the continental US and buy tickets. If they make it to the post season, you can pay hundred per ticket.

Call it $50-100k including flights, hotels, and hotdogs (vital).

Does anyone do that? Stadiums always seem packed

Ferris

Jays no-no in progress into the 7th.

I've jinxed it, of course.

newbridge

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 10, 2018, 01:53:52 PM
You're right!

Ryan Braun organises smear campaign against PED tester, willing to sacrifice another person's job, career and integrity because he wanted to take steroids

Being mad at Braun or other PED users is typical of the Cardinals "unwritten rules" conservative sanctimonious hypocrisy, and why most of the rest of baseball fandom rightfully hates the organization.

(edit - maybe I was a tad harsh)

Ferris

Ok into the 8th. Run support is in at 1. I'm watching live so my hex on sports teams will ruin this somehow. But how? That's the new tension.

Edit: Right on schedule!

BlodwynPig

Just passed you on the highway, still 1-1

Ferris

Yah but the no-hitter is dead, and Osuna is in line for his 100th save so that'll definitely go wrong.

BlodwynPig

Victory!!

Red Sox 14-1 though

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: newbridge on April 11, 2018, 02:10:47 AM
Being mad at Braun or other PED users is typical of the Cardinals "unwritten rules" conservative sanctimonious hypocrisy, and why most of the rest of baseball fandom rightfully hates the organization.
As I said, I was mad at Braun for lying about it, and blaming the tester, willing to let a man be fired and have his career ruined because he was caught taking steroids and didn't want to take responsibility for it. Then he was caught again two years later. Has nothing to do with being a Cardinals fan - there's little positive feeling towards Mark McGwire in St Louis, for example; and fans of other teams also feel the same way about what he did.

Now it's "the rest of baseball fandom rightfully hates the organisation", as if there's any team that fans of other teams really like. Okay?

Black players routinely showered with racist abuse in Boston

Marlins owners claim team is based in   British Virgin Islands to avoid paying their rightful share of money back to the city of Miami

Astros abuse medical tests to pay draft picks less money

Red Sox (again) cheat on international draft rules

My point isn't that the Cardinals are better than everyone else, as that's clearly not true. But this idea that they're uniquely awful among 29 other teams that do shady / illegal things, is such a boring take (and seems to stem pretty much solely from one or two Deadspin writers having a hard-on against them for years).

BlodwynPig

Two games in one day for the Blue jays? 11-3 against the Royals and just checked it was 3-0 to Royals, but Blue jays have tied it with 3 runs in the 7th. Amazing.

Edit: make that 4-3 Jays in the 7th

BlodwynPig

QuoteMonday night's game was postponed after ice fell from the neighbouring CN Tower and created a hole in the roof of the Rogers Centre.

Ferris

I'm still watching the first one so cheers for RUINING THE NEXT GAME FOR ME.

Load of ice dropped off the CN tower and had the power to go through the roof.

You still on for a couple games later this year? Can you handle the danger?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 18, 2018, 03:12:12 AM
I'm still watching the first one so cheers for RUINING THE NEXT GAME FOR ME.

Load of ice dropped off the CN tower and had the power to go through the roof.

You still on for a couple games later this year? Can you handle the danger?

Sorry, as an avid fan, I assumed you would have been camped out at the Stade de Rogers underneath an umbrella. 5-4 win in overtime though!!

BlodwynPig

and yes, can handle the danger, but you've got to return the favour and take me bear watching

Famous Mortimer

And then you could come to St Louis and spend 10 minutes in East St Louis, to complete the danger trifecta.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 18, 2018, 02:28:09 PM
And then you could come to St Louis and spend 10 minutes in East St Louis, to complete the danger trifecta.

happy to. should I wear white socks and sandals and gaudy shirt?

Famous Mortimer

They're very much equal opportunity on that side of the river, so I don't think it matters :)

Oh, if you like games, or fun, or anything of that sort, then:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/208817/Deadball-Baseball-With-Dice

is recommended.

BlodwynPig

Ferris

They were over performing for the first few weeks - they will be lucky to finish at .500 (especially with the relative strength of the rest of the AL East).

Tear it down! Tear it all down, and start again for 2020!

BlodwynPig

I hope they show up when we go

Ferris

They are contractually obliged to show up, so it would be a pretty poor show if they didn't bother.

Been meaning to actually pick a game and get some tickets. Will let you know

BlodwynPig

I'm also planning to get tickets for Germany Canada Women's soccer game on 10 June, can get 4 for 3 if you and you're wife are interested?

Ferris

Sorry, meant to get back to you on this and totally forgot. There's a massive tax filing deadline in June which means Mrs Ferris will be at the office most weekends. That means it's probably curtains for her and weekend soccer - she didn't even watch Villa beat Boro ffs. That's what she tells me, anyway.

In terms of baseball, it's probably a similar story. Such is our industry!

That said, I don't care as much as she does and I don't have any deadlines coming up so I'm still alright for most days. Looking ahead through the Jays calendar I've highlighted a few games after June 1. Done my best to only pick stinky teams that the Jays should batter.

As a primer, how does Baltimore on Thursday June 7 grab ya? I'll get tickets and get you a spare jersey and cap so you can blend in with us aficionados.