Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:08:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How are we for Armistice encodes?

Started by gazzyk1ns, February 20, 2004, 03:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzyk1ns

I was going through some old tapes last night, and I've found my tape which has a whole series of The Friday Night Armistice on. Six episodes, from Jan and Feb '98.

If someone would like to encode them and make them available for download I'd send the tape to them, I don't care about getting it back if I'm going to have digital copies.

Or are there already decent encodes in circulation? No problems if so.

Neil

Coo, I could do em when I get my new sound card, it could take a while though, you know how slow I can be.  The only available encode at the minute is the Party Bucket which is on the Collab page.  Burt also ripped a high-quality version of that which should be on Soulseek.  I missed most of them at the time so I'd like to see more myself, although I hear it's generally disappointing.

mitzidog

I can encode them, but it'd be at work so It'd take a couple of weeks.

I can't host them, but I can post my soulseek name and leave them up for a week at a time, or I can send them on CDs to someone who can host them.

Can do pretty much whatever quality people are interested in, or even a separate low quality file for those without the time to leave soulseek on for ages.

It might kick start me to encoding the best of my HIGNFY collection.

I'll return to this thread on Monday (TGIF etc. I'm off early) and see what the reply is.

Quote from: "Neil"Coo, I could do em when I get my new sound card, it could take a while though, you know how slow I can be.  The only available encode at the minute is the Party Bucket which is on the Collab page.  Burt also ripped a high-quality version of that which should be on Soulseek.  I missed most of them at the time so I'd like to see more myself, although I hear it's generally disappointing.

I sent you them ages ago didn't I?

gazzyk1ns

Yep they are a little disappointing, mostly because it's VERY topical, i.e. specific to that week. Because the jokes are about politics and politicians, they tend mostly not to be funny "generally", like they fortunately are with HIGNFY.

Having said that there are some VERY funny bits. In the last one Armando interviews the head of FOREST, LOL NO pro-smoking organisation. He says beforehand "If he thinks it's OK to smoke around others, I'll see how he likes me farting in his company.". So he takes a little fart machine and some stink bombs in there with him, and at one point when the FOREST guy asks if he's OK, Armando replies. "Yes sorry, I think the... jacksie gas... has gone now."

Overall it's just "pleasant" to see Armando/Baynham/Schneider all... well, doing stuff.

Mitzi, cheers for the offer - a few weeks is no problem for anyone, I assume. I'll wait a day or so to see if anyone is enthusiastic about encoding and/or hosting them immediately, because if so they might as well do it. If not I'll bung you the tape, I'm sure we could get someone to host them, even if it's only temporarily.

Neil

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Quote from: "Neil"Coo, I could do em when I get my new sound card, it could take a while though, you know how slow I can be.  The only available encode at the minute is the Party Bucket which is on the Collab page.  Burt also ripped a high-quality version of that which should be on Soulseek.  I missed most of them at the time so I'd like to see more myself, although I hear it's generally disappointing.

I sent you them ages ago didn't I?

You did send some, but I  think the tape was unlabelled so I've not been able to find it since my move.  Bah.  Also, I can't encode from copied tapes, just originals.

Some bits of the armistice were pure gold, the minaturized area was ALWAYS laugh out loud funny. I'm thinking of the England manager of the time (someone remind me...) taking his team into the changing rooms before tearing off his shirt to reveal rows of nipples and suckling them all like piglets!

DuncanC

Ooh, I would really love to see the Armistices again...

Bilko

The Election Night 97 I thought was the best ever one.

A couple of bits I recall (vaguely) was as soon as the first result was announced they were going to cause the first politcial scandal of the new parliament. They put a whore in a helicopter to shout abusive things through a megaphone down to the elected member voting point below.

The other bit was someone on the show asked Martin Bell if he gone on holiday to Bosnia for 3 three years at the license payers expense. Hehehe

sublingual

The Election Night Armistice was wonderful. Years of alcohol abuse since then have seriously impacted on my recollection of the night, but their "review" of the election's poster campaigns is still firmly lodged in my head.

In particular the Tory ad featuring a grinning Tony Blair with cat's whiskers (back when everyone liked him) underneath the headline 'Cheshire Twat'.  And  the first ever poster gaffe - Labour's 'Look, we're going to have to put up taxes. That's just the way it is'.

I would dearly love to see it again. I can remember weeping when I found I'd accidentally taped over my own recording of it with 'Space: Above and Beyond' and 'The Tony Ferrino Phenomenon'.

I might be able to help out with that series of Friday Night Armistice though, as I have the tape and the technology. I'll dig it out over the weekend.

faceless

I'd be happy to do them. As with anything else that people want to share widely, but can't because of the limitations of VHS copying.

I was recently sent the first 3 episodes of "I'm Bill Bailey" which were very popular with downloaders.

cptwhite

I have a video with some episodes on - couldn't tell you which ones and the quality it a bit shabby on some of them - but I know it was the final series and I beleive i have the final few episodes they ever did.

Darrell

It seems, from reading people's trading lists and so forth, that loads of people taped the final 'Friday' series, so it's quite common (as is the Election Night one). The earlier couple of 'Saturday' runs are pretty rare.

I don't have any Armistice at all, although that may change reasonably soon...

faceless

Quote from: "Darrell"It seems, from reading people's trading lists and so forth, that loads of people taped the final 'Friday' series, so it's quite common.

What about all the people who aren't mentallist VHS copiers?

Darrell

Quote from: "faceless"What about all the people who aren't mentallist VHS copiers?

They're missing out on a world of comedy treasures, frankly.

I was just attempting to impose a rarity value on the various Armistices.

faceless

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "faceless"What about all the people who aren't mentallist VHS copiers?

They're missing out on a world of comedy treasures, frankly.

Yes, but people like you keep all these treasures within your circle. I'll be kind and suggest that maybe it's the hours of hassle required to copy a VHS that makes it so special, but there is just no need for that attitude any more.

Send these treasures to people who are prepared to do the work and get them encoded, or you could just continue to keep it all to yourselves, I suppose.

Darrell

Quote from: "faceless"Yes, but people like you keep all these treasures within your circle. I'll be kind and suggest that maybe it's the hours of hassle required to copy a VHS that makes it so special, but there is just no need for that attitude any more.

You're suggesting it's some sort of exclusive club - it's not. Anyone can acquire a collection if they put the effort in. Just set a few targets for stuff you want, make some contacts, and build a collection. I'm not an insider, a writer, a researcher, I don't work in telly, I don't work as an archivist - and I managed alright. You can't moan just because you want everything for nothing and can't be bothered to play the game. It just takes the fun out of it all and reduces an enjoyable, fun and incredibly satisfying hobby into a disinterested mouse click.

As for 'hours of hassle', it only takes about five minutes to set the VCR up and as long as it takes for the stuff to play (same length of time as encoding something, basically). I also happen to think that digitised files are a particularly poor method of archival (due to their poor quality), and avoid them if I can help it.

Quote from: "faceless"Send these treasures to people who are prepared to do the work and get them encoded, or you could just continue to keep it all to yourselves, I suppose.

As a very busy tape-trader, I simply don't have the time or the money to send extra stuff off just so a dozen people can click 'download', burn to a CD and forget about it, without getting anything in return. I'm behind with my copying list enough as it is (I promise not to keep you much longer, TJ, Gavin etc!), and I spend far too much on Jiffy bags and hefty postal charges as it is. It's just not a realistic possibility.

If I had a big fancy capture card and machine, I'd a make an effort to encode a few bits of rare telly and get them hosted 'n' posted up here. It's just not a realistic request to ask me to send you everything I have just so you can make a few captures for people to download and forget about. For the tiny handful of people who'll genuinely appreciate the stuff for what it is, it doesn't make sense. I'd rather just contact them personally and send the stuff that way.

I also was put off even any thought of sending anything to you at all as soon as you announced your plans to start flogging DVDRs of your encoded captures for £15 a pop and superimposing 'faceless' into the corner of all your DivX captures. Add to that your branding of captures *you didn't even do* as your own, and the ego-trippy idents you insist on plastering everywhere, I just get the feeling that you're less concerned with the comedy and more concerned with promoting the 'Faceless' brand name into ubiquity. A McDonalds vision of comedy trading.

Don't think I don't want this stuff in circulation - I love to trade with people and am always pleased to see people enjoying stuff. I'm just opposed to your attitude - you've never progressed beyond a "send me a load of stuff for nothing you selfish bastard" hypocrisy.

And yes, I know not everyone has VCRs and stuff, and captures are the only way to get stuff for some people, but I'm referring to a very specific case here and am stating my personal case. I'm pro people encoding anything rare, including these Armistice shows, but anyone moaning at people with large collections for "hoarding" is an idiot.

Silver SurferGhost

Nobody's keeping anything to themselves, though, if that was the case we wouldn't bother starting threads about stuff,
it'd just be half a dozen of us PM-ing each other.

People here are more than happy to copy things for anyone, for blanks if you've nowt to swap,
so I don't think you're being entirely fair there faceless.
You're here, so you're in the circle.

There is no escape....

I've got The Election Night one by the way, and I'm sure I've a few of the Saturday ones knocking about,
it'll just take a bit of digging.

faceless

Quote from: "faceless"blah blah wank wank blah...I'm just opposed to your attitude - you've never progressed beyond a "send me a load of stuff for nothing you selfish bastard" hypocrisy.

A load of stuff for nothing? What about the various radio shows I've capped for you on request? What about the Drop The Dead Donkey episode I went out of my way to cap for you the other week?

And what would you expect me to return to you anyway? You seem to be obsessive enough to record everything that's been on the TV recently, and most of the rarer stuff I've got on tape I've capped and made available for download.  

If anyone else has stuff that they want to see spread around, let me know. I'm running stuff off here 24/7, so it's not a problem.

a bald avuncular jew

Quote from: "faceless"If anyone else has stuff that they want to see spread around, let me know. I'm running stuff off here 24/7, so it's not a problem.

So you can stick DOG's on them and flog them off on DVD-R?

Yeah, thanks.  I'll dig out my rare comedy right away just to make sure your pockets get lined.

faceless

Quote from: "a bald avuncular jew"
Quote from: "faceless"If anyone else has stuff that they want to see spread around, let me know. I'm running stuff off here 24/7, so it's not a problem.

So you can stick DOG's on them and flog them off on DVD-R?

Yeah, thanks.  I'll dig out my rare comedy right away just to make sure your pockets get lined.

Did you really have to use another id to say that?

Who says I'm selling them? If some malicious arsehole is spreading rumours I'd be happy to sort the prick out. I have had people asking me to sell them, but name a single person I've sold a DVD-R to and I won't demand an apology for your rash and pathetic allegation.

Darrell

Quote from: "faceless"Did you really have to use another id to say that?

I am not a bald avuncular jew.

Quote from: "faceless"Who says I'm selling them?

You. The other week you were unveiling all these plans for flogging DVDRs of captures "for only £15". So don't bloody lie.

faceless

Quote from: "faceless"Did you really have to use another id to say that?

I am not a bald avuncular jew.

Quote from: "faceless"Who says I'm selling them?

You. The other week you were unveiling all these plans for flogging DVDRs of captures "for only £15". So don't bloody lie.

So, if you're not that prick then you're the malicious little prick who told him it'd even been  mentioned... And I most definitely did not say "for only £15".

You're beneath contempt.

butnut

There is a small chance that I might have some of the early episodes on video at my parent's house (although my Mum probably recorded over it with some horse racing). I'll check next time I'm there, in a couple of weeks time. No promises though.

Darrell

It's TV's Faceless everyone!

He has just sent me this through Soulseek:

Quote[comedy bastard] hey, you little malicious prick, I see you've not had the decency or balls to apologise for talking shite about me. I'll make a point of paying you a visit next time I'm down that way. One of your "friends" gave me your address - that was nice of him, eh?
[sirkobble] Great - I'm utterly terrified
[comedy bastard] we'll see if you've got the balls to stay silent on your fucking doorstep.
[comedy bastard] cool, Look forward to it

Insane cunt. I encourage everyone to boycott Faceless and his 'faceless comedy' room - he's a little bullying fucker with no right to life.

Still, it's not just me on his hate list! He doesn't discriminate.

Quote[comedy bastard] hey Blue Jam, still a cunt?
[comedy bastard] got  some cool friends today?
[Blue Jam] what is your problem?
[comedy bastard] my problem is cunts like you
[comedy bastard] but you'll do

Everyone ignore this cunt.

faceless

So, you're not going to apologuise for your lies then Darrell?

That's fine - I'll be down there in a few weeks. We can sort it then.

Darrell

Quote from: "faceless"So, you're not going to apologuise for your lies then Darrell?

That's fine - I'll be down there in a few weeks. We can sort it then.

You really are pathetic, you know. I'm not apologising for anything, because I haven't lied about anything. If you genuinely turn up it'll be conclusive proof that you're insane, as well as a confrontational, aggressive bastard.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Darrell"It's TV's Faceless everyone!

Quote[comedy bastard] hey, you little malicious prick, I see you've not had the decency or balls to apologise for talking shite about me. I'll make a point of paying you a visit next time I'm down that way. One of your "friends" gave me your address - that was nice of him, eh?
[comedy bastard] we'll see if you've got the balls to stay silent on your fucking doorstep.

Insane cunt. I encourage everyone to boycott Faceless and his 'faceless comedy' room - he's a little bullying fucker with no right to life.

Ah, yes, he thinks I'm a cunt too, for having the gall to queue something up for download from him without joining his precious forum.

If you would like to send anyone around to have a go at me too I will happily PM you my home address and I'll look forward to it. Cunt.

You're alienating the very people you *need* to make you feel better about yourself.

faceless

Quote from: "TraceyQ"
Quote from: "Darrell"It's TV's Faceless everyone!

Ah, yes, he thinks I'm a cunt too, for having the gall to queue something up for download from him without joining his precious forum.

If you would like to send anyone around to have a go at me too I will happily PM you my home address and I'll look forward to it. Cunt.

You're alienating the very people you *need* to make you feel better about yourself.

I blocked you after asking you 3 times to not queue more than one file at a time.  And asking you to post on the forum was a perfectly reasonable request considering you had fuck-all else to offer. How is it sharing if you're just taking?

I'm sure there are a good few others whom I've banned who might want to say something too, but not one of them can say I didn't give them at least one chance to play by the rules like everyone else - before banning them.arbitrarily.

The thing is, they always come back with "oh, but it wsa my brother!" or some such bollocks. My rules are very clear. If you can't be arsed reading them and realising that they are there for the benefit of the many then I really don't want anything to do with you.

Can I call you a cunt now? It just seems so empty a word.