Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:42:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How are we for Armistice encodes?

Started by gazzyk1ns, February 20, 2004, 03:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitzidog

Am very disappointed at returning to this forum to find so much name calling about Soulseek.

Anyway I am still willing to do these encodes and send them back FOR FREE to someone who can host them AND put them on my soulseek for a week or two (limited space on drive so nothing stays there permanently)

I've just got a very good deal on DVD-Rs so no worries about a couple being used for these.

So if someone wants to let me know if my services are required - I will check back tomorrow (have some access to internet, but bot constant) and will be happy to help for the price of me keeping a copy of something I don't yet have.

I thought the point of P2P was "from each according to his drive size and collection - to each according to their interests" Obviously you don't queue someone's entire drive, and play fair, but these petty little arguments about who queued what and banned whom really aren't in the spirit of things.

gazzyk1ns

Hey Mitzi, again, cheers for the offer but I've sent them to Neil now - he is doing a big batch of encoding anyway so he's keen to get these done with that.

Hope you're not disappointed and you've taken no offence etc, but we should have some decent encodes of my tape to watch pretty soon!

Dr David V

I'd just like to say that whilst hosting is certainly not an option for me (56k), I have access to a Avid editing suite at college, so if anyone has tapes they want encoding, let me know, and I can send them back as high quality MPEGs or MOVs on CDs or DVDs. This applies for any rare tapes people might have, including the Armistices.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

There was one series of Saturday, and two of Friday. I doubt the Saturday ones are *particularly* rare, since it was already summer '95 by then - lots of people knew Iannucci and co were worth setting tapes for. The second half of Series 1 got an edited repeat later in the wekk though, so you have to watch out for those. Wasn't Series 3 trimmed for repeats too?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

But, as Darrell said earlier, collecting archive comedy is a grubby labour of love. The internet's made it easier, but you still have to put the hours in, build up trust etc. And you have to recognise the fact that a lot of collectors don't go anywhere near computers.

benthalo

QuoteWasn't Series 3 trimmed for repeats too?

Only 3.5, which had a new intro due to a postponed broadcast of the repeat.

2.1 was edited for the repeat. Otherwise, all shows after series 1 were left intact on second tx.

TJ

Oh dear me...

This is all taking place in the CaB Soulseek room, right? If that's the case, then nobody really has any business demanding that people post on forums before they're allowed to download stuff. If you're really that particular about it, you can start your own Soulseek room.

As hippyish as it might sound, sharing and generosity are two of the key strengths of the CaB 'community' that people keep talking about, and it works on a far higher level than a simple supply and demand exchange rate mechanism. The vast majority of regular visitors to this site, myself included, do not have broadband access, decent video capture facilities, access to Soulseek or even that much time to spend on uploading and downloading encodes or captures (if I had all of the above, Inside Victor Lewis-Smith, The Ferguson Theory, How To Be Cool and The Pallbearer's Revue would all be in common circulation, as well as tons of Morris-related TV rarities). People exchange material in other ways, generally by post (fact - the five people who between them have contributed a good 90% of the Morris-related audio and material that can be found online only ever exchange stuff by post), and most of the time nobody makes strict demands and are content to be 'paid back' at a later date and wait patiently until something they're itnerested in can be made available. Some people even just give stuff away out of generosity; there are some thoroughly decent folk on here who it would seem are prepared to bend over backwards to spread the word about comedy they enjoy.

Also, faceless, I should point out that your last couple of postings on this and another thread are in contravention of one of the few rules we have on these forums. We don't like banning people, but consider this a friendly reminder...

So anyway - The Complete Armistice. Another of the discs that I would do if I had the time or technology. As such, a great idea...

Former

I've never captured from VHS before, and I don't use Soulseek.

However, I do have the following on VHS, which I would perhaps be willing to donate to someone who knows what to do, for the greater good (and my own digitial copies, obviously).

Series 1 (1995/Saturday):

All episodes, initial unedited broadcasts. One of the episodes (4?) is missing a few minutes off the end.

Series 2 and 3 (1996/1998/Friday):

All episodes, unedited and completed.

Election Night:

Complete, apart from missing a few minutes at the end when tape ran out.

1998/9 New Year Compilations:

Both, complete, I /think/ but poor quality. These featured some new material.

Ambient Sheep

Oh well, since nobody else has bothered / dared to break it to you...
Quote from: "TJ"This is all taking place in the CaB Soulseek room, right? If that's the case, then nobody really has any business demanding that people post on forums before they're allowed to download stuff. If you're really that particular about it, you can start your own Soulseek room.
I could be wrong, but no, it's not taking place in the CaB Soulseek room.  It's taking place in his very own "faceless comedy" room, which presumably does have these rules.  (I haven't checked.)

Doesn't make his behaviour much better though.