Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

My conclusion: Lee and Herring would be better off as a double act.

Started by rimbaud, March 30, 2018, 05:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimbaud

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on April 07, 2018, 01:21:07 AM
Hope the OP doesn't mind that I've just used the thread title as the last sentence in my dissertation, Social Values in Juvenal and Roman Satire.

😁

rimbaud

Quote from: Nobody Soup on April 06, 2018, 07:50:49 PM
nah, it was just bad. was it not rumoured on here the audience had pissed him off that night to the point he was doing it out of contempt? the only reason to defend that routine is stewart lee has built up such a lot of justified confidence from his audience as someone who delivers hilarious, intelligent, thought provoking material that they blamed themselves for not being clever enough to "get it". he's pretty much a genius, I'm done with pretending otherwise, only really Kitson is on his level over the last 20 years in the UK (that I know of, I am not super up on every new comic) but that sucked. the "if you say you're english..." bit was marvelous, and that was one of his most repetitive ever. he can do it well.

double act wouldn't work cause two old men hanging about is just weird.

This is a very good comment apart from the worrying bit about 50 year old men not being allowed to be friends.  Also I would really look forward to Herring screaming "You can't even drive" at terrified youths whole actually the age of the character.

For me, this felt to me like a Lee doing this was akin to Gorillaz crashing and burning at Glastonbury after a hugely successful and well received tour: this sort of shit might fly when your fans have paid and made the effort, but it's suicidal when presented to a general TV audience.  I can't believe that even Lee isn't kicking himself over losing such an incredible promotional showcase for his talents.

petril

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 07, 2018, 12:03:54 AM
And doing the same material.

Ian Lee is a curmugeonly but beloved comedian. Ian Herring is a slightly less beloved comedian. With hilarious consequences

trueusername

McFlymo

Saw Content Provider recently and definitely don't want Lee to stop writing shows like this. It was excellent (and didn't use much repetition, if I remember correctly), but I would love to see what could happen with a Lee & Herring reunion. The RHLSTP's with Lee were pretty uncomfortable, but they could probably write great stuff together, despite that tension.