Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:19:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Shows No One Watches But Maybe Should

Started by Small Man Big Horse, March 31, 2018, 04:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I've tried to start threads for shows in the past only for them to be largely dismissed, and maybe rightly so, but I thought it might be nice to have a place to recommend series that might otherwise be missed. So to kick things off:

Supernatural - I know it's in it's thirteenth year now and I've by no means seen it all, but this week saw the Winchester Brothers get sucked in to a tv and in to an episode of Scooby Doo. The animation was spot on and a huge amount of fun was had with it, and even if you'd never seen an episode before I think you'd still enjoy it.

The Magicians Season 3 - I've started two incredibly unloved threads about this in the past so didn't bother this year, but this season has been one of the smartest, playful and enjoyable genre tv shows I've ever seen. Plus they swear all the time. Fucks, shits, bastards, you get it all!

Anyone got any other suggestions?

BritishHobo

That Scooby-Doo episode was the first time I've watched in about six years. I used to absolutely love it, but I just can't see how they're keeping it going. It was a good laugh of an idea, but Castiel felt like a really awkward, crowbarred presence throughout - and was his voice always that gravelly?

Penfold

The final season of The Americans started this week.

olliebean

Ooh, the Scooby Doo one was this week? I finally gave up on Supernatural a few years back, but I heard that episode was coming up and was thinking it'd be worth a look. Off to find a download...

Gulftastic

I left it far too late to watch Supernatural, but I have watched all of the episodes featuring Felicia Day. I enjoyed those a great deal.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 31, 2018, 09:25:15 PM
I left it far too late to watch Supernatural, but I have watched all of the episodes featuring Felicia Day. I enjoyed those a great deal.

She's been in three episodes of The Magicians this season and was really great, and all you really need to know about the show is that it's about a bunch of students at a magic university who sort of accidentally killed a god, so magic was removed from the world, and now they're trying to get it back. Oh yeah, and there are different worlds, like Fillery, which is a sort of Tolkienesque fantasy world that everyone thought was fictional until it turned out to be real. And a massive underground library which contains books about ever human being who ever lived. And...Ah, okay, maybe you do need to know quite a bit about the show before watching it. It's worth it though.

Famous Mortimer

I enjoyed the book of "The Magicians", but I suck at watching TV regularly. I might give it a go.

I quit Supernatural after...season 9? The one where Dean got turned into a demon, which I thought would be an interesting development, but they reversed it after 4 episodes or so. It was clearly just going to be the same old thing for the rest of the show's run and I'd lost interest in watching a soap opera with monsters in it.

DrGreggles

Was Person of Interest ever shown over here?
It had Ben from Lost in it and, as silly as the show was, it was good fun.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Penfold on March 31, 2018, 06:08:07 PM
The final season of The Americans started this week.

Went overboard with the music on the 1st ep. Overly montage-y

mothman

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 01, 2018, 01:50:51 PM

Yeah, was on Channel 5. And also on Netflix.

Mobius

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 01, 2018, 01:50:51 PM

Fantastic show. I was put off for years cus it looked a bit generic, but it is one of the best shows I've watched.

DrGreggles

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 01, 2018, 01:37:06 PM
I enjoyed the book of "The Magicians", but I suck at watching TV regularly. I might give it a go.

From what I've read the first book is fairly faithful to the novel, but after that they head off in their own direction. And the first four or five episodes of season one are a bit flat and it looks like it might be a bit of a mopey show, but then it discovers a sense of humour and gradually gets better and better to the point that I can't stop raving about it.

QuoteI quit Supernatural after...season 9? The one where Dean got turned into a demon, which I thought would be an interesting development, but they reversed it after 4 episodes or so. It was clearly just going to be the same old thing for the rest of the show's run and I'd lost interest in watching a soap opera with monsters in it.

Mrs SMBH is still watching it and just lets me know if there's an episode which she'll think I like. Oddly she doesn't care about the Scooby Doo one though, as that wasn't a thing in Denmark during her childhood.

Phil_A

I feel like everyone gave up on Agents Of SHIELD after the mostly ropy first season, which is a shame as it's been pretty consistently good fun show, some cool fight sequences and solid character development. It's somehow survived by the skin of it's teeth through five seasons, even though massive budget cuts have meant half of the current season has taken place in corridors and basement sets.

olliebean

Quote from: Phil_A on April 01, 2018, 08:28:07 PM
I feel like everyone gave up on Agents Of SHIELD after the mostly ropy first season, which is a shame as it's been pretty consistently good fun show, some cool fight sequences and solid character development. It's somehow survived by the skin of it's teeth through five seasons, even though massive budget cuts have meant half of the current season has taken place in corridors and basement sets.

I stuck with it some way into the second season, but gave up on it when it didn't seem to be getting any better. I was aware at the time that many online commentators were of the opposite opinion, and concluded that it probably just wasn't for me.

kidsick5000

Supernatural seems to have survived by never getting too bogged down by the story arc. It always gets enough monster of the week stuff in.
I don't know how much further they can take it, but then I've thought that since series 9.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Phil_A on April 01, 2018, 08:28:07 PM
There was quite a bit of discussion about it on here, as I recall, and it had "well, you've not seen enough episodes" defenders, as if it's the fault of people who gave up for not being able to hold the show's attention. It was fine, but I got bored of a superhero show without any damn superheroes in it (I know there are some now). In other words, what olliebean said.

falafel

The Americans: US Shows Repeatedly Mentioned In The US Shows No One Watches But Maybe Should Thread That No One Really Pays Attention To But Maybe Should.

Isnt Anything

I love Agents of Shield now but agree that it only started to get interesting in series 2 and only really grabbed my attention in Series 3, the start of which was brilliant. You can start at Series 3 without having seen the other two.

mothman

Quote from: falafel on April 02, 2018, 10:38:16 PM
The Americans: US Shows Repeatedly Mentioned In The US Shows No One Watches But Maybe Should Thread That No One Really Pays Attention To But Maybe Should.

In next year's iteration it'll be, "It's finished now, but..."

phantom_power

Quote from: Mobius on April 01, 2018, 06:42:41 PM
Fantastic show. I was put off for years cus it looked a bit generic, but it is one of the best shows I've watched.

I started watching the first episode but it seemed really generic and poor. Does it improve then?

Mobius

Quote from: phantom_power on April 03, 2018, 08:43:15 AM
I started watching the first episode but it seemed really generic and poor. Does it improve then?

Oh most definitely. The early episodes of the 1st season are a bit procedural / villain of the week, for sure. Once the plot really kicks off and the characters develop a bit more it's immensely good fun.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Mobius on April 03, 2018, 08:55:10 AM
Oh most definitely. The early episodes of the 1st season are a bit procedural / villain of the week, for sure. Once the plot really kicks off and the characters develop a bit more it's immensely good fun.

True stuff. Once the long story arcs begin the show is excellent.

phantom_power

Good I will persevere then. Can never have too much Amy Acker on TV either

Mister Six

Supernatural has been renewed for a 14th season! It's got more lives than its protagonists.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Mister Six on April 03, 2018, 03:00:02 PM
Supernatural has been renewed for a 14th season! It's got more lives than its protagonists.

Amazing really. Will they bring Bobby back properly this year?
It's also on permanent loop on TNT in the US in the mornings, along with that other permalooped show Charmed

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on April 03, 2018, 03:00:02 PM

It's ratings are pretty consistently decent (at least for the CW channel) so I could see it carrying on for a good few seasons yet, might even break the odd record here or there.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was also renewed last night for a fourth and final season which is an enormous relief, I'd have been gutted if it hadn't had the chance to finish the stoy.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 03, 2018, 07:49:07 PM
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was also renewed last night for a fourth and final season which is an enormous relief, I'd have been gutted if it hadn't had the chance to finish the stoy.

Shit, I thought she had five seasons planned? Although the speed they've been going through stories, perhaps that might have been a stretch. I'll be very, very sad to see it go, though - it is truly excellent.

Mister Six

Oh here's a show: Into the Badlands. A preposterous mishmash of samurai ronin drama, kung-fu action, Wild West adventure and supernatural drama set in a post-apocalyptic, Mad Max-esque future. There's at least one amazing fight scene per episode, and everyone is clearly having tremendous fun taking the preposterous content of the series dead seriously.

Short seasons too, so it doesn't wear out its welcome. Well worth watching a couple of episodes to give it a try.