Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:37:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Shows No One Watches But Maybe Should

Started by Small Man Big Horse, March 31, 2018, 04:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on April 04, 2018, 05:34:02 AM
Shit, I thought she had five seasons planned? Although the speed they've been going through stories, perhaps that might have been a stretch. I'll be very, very sad to see it go, though - it is truly excellent.

Right at the beginning there was talk about four to five seasons, but it's been four for a while now (possibly due to the viewing figures being rather low). I'll be sad to see it go as well but at least Bloom's getting the chance to finish the story, which is the main thing for me.

Quote from: Mister Six on April 04, 2018, 05:36:41 AM
Oh here's a show: Into the Badlands. A preposterous mishmash of samurai ronin drama, kung-fu action, Wild West adventure and supernatural drama set in a post-apocalyptic, Mad Max-esque future. There's at least one amazing fight scene per episode, and everyone is clearly having tremendous fun taking the preposterous content of the series dead seriously.

Short seasons too, so it doesn't wear out its welcome. Well worth watching a couple of episodes to give it a try.

I haven't seen that but you make it sound fun so I'll definitely check out the first few episodes.

AsparagusTrevor

I still watch Supernatural and I would say I enjoy it, but even so I would like to see the show end now, wrapped up properly, rather than continue to become stagnant.

They might have the odd experimental episode like the recent Scooby Doo one but apart from that they're scared to death of upsetting the status quo, which is why you won't get more than a few episodes before it's back to just Sam & Dean back to driving around, getting knocked out by stuff. Even Castiel doesn't get to hang out with them for too long before he's sent away. They got their mum back, but she left before long. Jack hung around a few episodes before he's shoved off out of the way somewhere.

I'm a big fan of Agents of SHIELD which unfortunately looks closer and closer to being cancelled. Now they do enjoy upsetting the status quo.

surreal

Quote from: phantom_power on April 03, 2018, 08:43:15 AM
I started watching the first episode but it seemed really generic and poor. Does it improve then?

if you watch the first few episodes of Person of Interest it does seem to just be "case of the week" and that was done I think to help draw in casual viewers - however it switches up around middle of the first season, around ep 13 I think and you suddenly realise that there have been little clues dropped in about what is going on.  Second and third seasons continue the quality, with eps 8/9/10 of S3 being some of the best TV I've ever seen.  All ties up well at the end of the series too, which is always a good thing.

surreal

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 04, 2018, 12:34:35 PM
Right at the beginning there was talk about four to five seasons, but it's been four for a while now (possibly due to the viewing figures being rather low). I'll be sad to see it go as well but at least Bloom's getting the chance to finish the story, which is the main thing for me.

Isn't she doing a touring stage show version of it?  Pretty sure I heard that was the next thing

surreal

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on April 04, 2018, 01:36:29 PM
I'm a big fan of Agents of SHIELD which unfortunately looks closer and closer to being cancelled. Now they do enjoy upsetting the status quo.

It's kind of lost me this season, not really been sure what is going on - but I did read that they will be wrapping everything up at the end of this one just in case it doesn't come back.  I think Disney were responsible for insisting that ABC keep making it last time, but who knows now.  Coulson will be back (sort of) in the MCU with Captain Marvel anyway as its set in the 90's.

robotam

Final season of the Americans starts tonight on ITV4 .
Billions has also just come back. It can be fun.

olliebean

Quote from: surreal on April 04, 2018, 02:56:36 PM
Isn't she doing a touring stage show version of it?  Pretty sure I heard that was the next thing

I'm frankly doubtful it will happen, but she has said she wants to do it as a stage musical after the TV series ends.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on April 04, 2018, 10:18:25 PM
I'm frankly doubtful it will happen, but she has said she wants to do it as a stage musical after the TV series ends.

They are on tour with a live show at the moment though, and all eight dates sold out within about five minutes, so it could happen. I always thought that was the plan if they were cancelled too soon though, and I hope it doesn't for purely selfish reasons as I can't see it ever coming over here.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: robotam on April 04, 2018, 03:46:20 PM
Final season of the Americans starts tonight on ITV4 .
Billions has also just come back. It can be fun.

We've had 2 eps in usa, not so great so far.

Z

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 07, 2018, 12:23:33 AM
We've had 2 eps in usa, not so great so far.
Yep, last season was kinda meh, felt like they were getting things in line for the final season but the time jump feels pretty disconnected. And yeah, I dunno why but I'm not especially interested in where it's at right now, feels a bit too closely connected to actual events in a manner that can't branch out too far.

phantom_power

Quote from: surreal on April 04, 2018, 02:54:59 PM
if you watch the first few episodes of Person of Interest it does seem to just be "case of the week" and that was done I think to help draw in casual viewers - however it switches up around middle of the first season, around ep 13 I think and you suddenly realise that there have been little clues dropped in about what is going on.  Second and third seasons continue the quality, with eps 8/9/10 of S3 being some of the best TV I've ever seen.  All ties up well at the end of the series too, which is always a good thing.

I am quite enjoying the early episodes but does Jim Caviezel's mannered acting getting any better? I find it quite off-putting. Every lines is spoken like Colonel Kurtz

paruses

It does not. I've not seen him in anything else and the only thing I know him from is the Jesus thing that Mel Gibson did. I just assumed this was his thing.

Weirdly I don't think the show is any worse for this stylisation.

Edit - thinking about this for two more seconds I think it's because he doesn't really say anything of merit in the show and is just like those spoken subtitles for the blind that sometimes get jammed on in that hotel in Earl's Court I stayed in. That did not incline me towards helping the blind, I can tell you.

phantom_power

Quote from: paruses on April 10, 2018, 10:46:10 PM
It does not. I've not seen him in anything else and the only thing I know him from is the Jesus thing that Mel Gibson did. I just assumed this was his thing.

Weirdly I don't think the show is any worse for this stylisation.

Edit - thinking about this for two more seconds I think it's because he doesn't really say anything of merit in the show and is just like those spoken subtitles for the blind that sometimes get jammed on in that hotel in Earl's Court I stayed in. That did not incline me towards helping the blind, I can tell you.

I don't remember him being like that in anything else. Hopefully I will get used to it. I find the other main character in it pretty mannered as well so maybe I will just have to live with it

paruses

Yea - it's very....arch I think the word is but seems to work.

Best characters in it are the womens - Root and Sarah Shahi (I forget her character's name) - they might not have turned up yet.

phantom_power

No they haven't. I am waiting for Amy Acker

paruses

Quote from: phantom_power on April 11, 2018, 09:14:26 AM

Yes - Root - well worth the wait.

I liked how the uglied her up in Dollhouse by giving her very minor scarring on her face.

surreal

Quote from: phantom_power on April 11, 2018, 09:14:26 AM

Root turns up around the aforementioned ep 12-13, it's really like a switch being flipped on the show, suddenly everything becomes clearer.

surreal

Quote from: phantom_power on April 10, 2018, 11:23:11 PM
I don't remember him being like that in anything else. Hopefully I will get used to it. I find the other main character in it pretty mannered as well so maybe I will just have to live with it

You'll get used to it - just remember you're basically watching Batman (they even keep calling him The Man in The Suit).  I think it suits his background in special ops and undercover work that he's very quietly spoken.

paruses

Quote from: surreal on April 11, 2018, 10:44:28 AM
[..] I think it suits his background in special ops and undercover work that he's very quietly spoken.

But massive and very memorable.

I like it when they use the dog. I love dogs.

Agreed that the late S1 switch flipping turns the show around.  I might dig in and watch the last couple of seasons as I really enjoyed it but just stopped watching for logistical reasons.

Sebastian Cobb

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 14, 2018, 11:36:15 AM
Is The Librarians any good?

This missus says "Not really". She watches it as background tv but says every episode is pretty identical and it doesn't do anything new or exciting.

Has anyone watched Danny Boyle's new FX series, Trust? It has a great cast and looks decent, but I've seen very little online buzz about it at all.

surreal

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 14, 2018, 11:53:35 AM
This missus says "Not really". She watches it as background tv but says every episode is pretty identical and it doesn't do anything new or exciting.

Not really - if you want something much better but similar hunt out "Warehouse 13".

Also a shout for Haven if anyone used to watch that...

Mr Eggs

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 03, 2018, 08:08:20 PM
The Expanse.

Gutted that the scum at Syfy aint funding series 4. Hopefully Netflix or some other fucker will pick it up.

surreal

Quote from: Mr Eggs on May 11, 2018, 03:12:09 PM
Gutted that the scum at Syfy aint funding series 4. Hopefully Netflix or some other fucker will pick it up.

Yeah, but the makers own 100% of it and they are definitely shopping it around - I'm hoping for netflix too.

Sherman Krank

You should be watching Barry.

Best thing on internet telly right now.

Go on.

You know you want to.

It's got Henry Winkler in it.