Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:11:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stinkers (2018)

Started by Shay Chaise, April 01, 2018, 09:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

This is a thread to warn people off Stinkers.

Dimension Drive (Switch)

My first true Stinker of the year. It's certainly an interesting concept - a split-screen single-player shmup where you 'switch dimension' between the two screens - but in practice, the shooting bits are rather pedestrian and the dimension switching is frustrating.

Admittedly, I expect it takes time to get used to flicking your eyes from one screen to the other to check whether it's safe to switch, but this is neither fun nor satisfying. It's unusual but it's fiddly and doesn't feel like a shoot em up. That might sound like a refreshing twist but in practice, it feels like a maze puzzle game - you can avoid most of the shooting action completely. Power ups and bonus items are always tucked away, requiring correct positioning and a well-timed dimension switch but if you're a pixel out, boom, instant death. I've reinstalled it several times since I got it and each time I uninstall again after about twenty minutes.