Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Games won't get better than this!"

Started by Kelvin, April 01, 2018, 03:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 11, 2018, 12:30:03 PM
In fairness it is like entering another world. A world with really shit graphics.

Nothing shit about those graphics. I love the look of those old Atari games, especially Tempest.

Parish Council '94

Unbelievable for the time.

Ferris

Bhazor

Quote from: NoSleep on April 11, 2018, 08:29:01 PM
Nothing shit about those graphics. I love the look of those old Atari games, especially Tempest.

Its an interesting idea that the increasing interest in vector graphics software could see a return vector games with infinite resolution. Imagine a game made entirely of vectors played on a cinema screen.

Like this failed kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/294543873/vektropolis

Hecate

Quote from: Kelvin on April 01, 2018, 03:32:40 PMDoesn't have to be graphics.

Spelunky.
You can piss and moan about "hand crafted levels" all you like.
It could well be my biological clock talking, but nothing gets things throbbing like a well tested procedural generation algorithm.
I don't care if it's god or Dawkins gurning down on me, just fucking do it!

This is as good as gaming gets.

I could so easily name other games that are worthy of the love, that capture the spirit, but right now, this is it. This is the nigh on flawless figurehead. Roguelites are the spirit of gaming, and spelunky is the daddy.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 11, 2018, 11:51:47 AM

Like entering another world.

Loved this game, although I was shit at it. Couple of minutes of panicked reversing in a wavy line, slow turret rotation, shooting wildly and hoping to hit those bastard tanks before they got a bead on me. The arcade game had the added feature of having to look through a tiny window... like what they do on real tanks I'm certain. Really added to the experience.

Sebastian Cobb

I was absolutely blown away by the full-motion-video graphics of Mad Dog Mcree on the CD-I (lol).

I can imagine the laserdisc-based arcade game Dragon's Layer was amazing at the time as well.

You could play DL here for a while but it looks like youtube have taken the video down.
http://marquisdegeek.com/kubrick/

NoSleep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 12, 2018, 07:11:27 PM

I can imagine the laserdisc-based arcade game Dragon's Layer was amazing at the time as well.

I don't remember it being received well, mostly due to the lack of gameplay. Not having played it myself I'm unsure of the details.

Bhazor

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 12, 2018, 07:11:27 PM

Dragon's Layer. Up there with Meta Slug and Grade Us.