Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:56:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US TV shows that were more popular in Britain

Started by George White, April 01, 2018, 07:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 05, 2018, 04:31:11 PM
Connor! He formed a good double act with Toady. They were wrestlers for a bit. The Lawman and The Shamrock.

I'm sure I heard a rumour (yeah, heard rather than being posted on a forum and instantly debunked) that he got chucked off the show for 'shagging birds' on the set or something.

Keebleman

Quote from: kidsick5000 on April 03, 2018, 01:49:29 PM
The Red Hand Gang - possibly only rembered by the late-30s / early-40s crowd. But only one series was made - in 1977. It must have been repeated loads into the early 80s, though i doubt anyone can recall a specific episode. Just the slow-motion trampoline titles and one of the actors being called James Bond III

Me and my brother always used to laugh at the credit "and JAMES BOND III as DOC" especially as it was accompanied by a ridiculous "bongggg!!" on the soundtrack.  It was as if the producers wanted to make the kid look as stupid as possible.  (I believe he directed a hip-hop themed horror movie later in life. Def by Temptation or something?)

I remember it was filmed on a video format that made it look really cheap.  And the bad guy was played by Anthony Zerbe, who I had never heard of before but whose name I subsequently saw on the credits of loads of films.

I had absolutely no interest in the show, so the fact that I can remember all this crap shows that at the time I would watch absolutely anything.  TV did ruin me!

Dr Rock

I remember it as being another boring show on at children's TV time when there were already far too many. I should have gone outside and played in the sun and rain.

Brundle-Fly

I remember being on a weekend school camp in 1979/80? and everybody was mockingly singing the La-la-la-la-la Red Hand Gang theme tune as we canoed down a canal. Many of us got the squits for swimming in a pond that had been treated with chemicals so half the class were off sick on the Monday.

This event was more exciting than anything that happened in the actual show.

surreal

Also around 81-83 time, "Whizz Kids" about a bunch of teenage hacker types.  Had a big effect on me as I'd just got my first home computer and loved WarGames.  The main guy had a computer with facial recognition (and it had a name, but I can't recall it, was it Ralph?), there was something about the "Kilroy Was Here" symbol (face with big nose peering over a wall)...   

Think there were only a handful of episodes and I have never seen them mentioned anywhere.  Or did I dream it?

Gulftastic

Quote from: surreal on April 06, 2018, 04:37:50 PM
Also around 81-83 time, "Whizz Kids" about a bunch of teenage hacker types.  Had a big effect on me as I'd just got my first home computer and loved WarGames.  The main guy had a computer with facial recognition (and it had a name, but I can't recall it, was it Ralph?), there was something about the "Kilroy Was Here" symbol (face with big nose peering over a wall)...   

Think there were only a handful of episodes and I have never seen them mentioned anywhere.  Or did I dream it?

No, I watched it. The only thing I remember is a bit in an episode where they realised they could hack a Nielson box and one of them said that if they'd had it last year they could have made 'Square Pegs*' the number one TV show.

*also a barely remembered show from then. Again, watched it, couldn't ell you a thing about it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: doppelkorn on April 02, 2018, 09:26:57 AM
I think The Fresh Prince of Bel Air is more fondly remembered here as a cult show than in the US for whatever reason.

If it is, then I would imagine the reason for this would be because it was a mainstay of 6pm weekday viewing in the UK, back when we only had four channels to choose from; compared to the greater variety of channels in America.  On that basis, it would make sense that it would have a nostalgic connection for a greater percentage of British people, compared to our American cousins.

surreal

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 06, 2018, 05:50:39 PM
No, I watched it. The only thing I remember is a bit in an episode where they realised they could hack a Nielson box and one of them said that if they'd had it last year they could have made 'Square Pegs*' the number one TV show.

**ahem** https://youtu.be/YMVW_dc_g08?t=7m54s

Dr Rock

There was a famous TV show that was saved (ie they got one more season) because the UK loved it so much. Can't remember what it was though.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 07, 2018, 09:53:20 AM
There was a famous TV show that was saved (ie they got one more season) because the UK loved it so much. Can't remember what it was though.

Baywatch, briefly mentioned earlier