Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:32:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Terror (AMC)

Started by Mobius, April 02, 2018, 04:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Apologies if there was already a thread for this one but I couldn't find it.

This is a new show based off a book by Dan Simmons and is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to locate the Northwest Passage (thanks wikipedia)

Anyway it's got Julius Caesar and Brutus in it, as well as Jared Harris, Paul Ready, Ian Hart, Alistair Petrie, Clive Russell and more, obviously.

I just watched the first episode and it was really excellent stuff I thought. Looks and feels big budget, really cool setting and the show immediately creates this sense of dread.

Anyway it's well worth a watch! Just started so only a few eps in by the looks of it.

Famous Mortimer

I absolutely loved the book, it made me get interested in the whole real-life story which is incredibly interesting in its own right. Not seen this show yet, but really looking forward to it.

Custard

Aye, this looks ace. Obtaining it as we speak!

Alberon

The last really good book Dan Simmons has written. He's been a bit obsessed with Victoriana since then and Drood and that Sherlock Holmes book were poor in comparison, though to be fair Abominable is a reasonable shaggy yeti story.

The mini series could be really good and it is an intriguing mystery about what exactly happened to them all.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Mobius

Not sure if anyone is watching but if so you may be pleased to know the the entire season has appeared online.

Up to episode 8 now. Very sad I've nearly finished but throughly enjoyed it!

Am really getting into this story now. Episode 4 and no real clue what is going on but very intriguing. A good range of performances as well. I just hope it isn't going to take a 'Lost' story route and bite of more than it can chew.

Quote from: Mobius on April 10, 2018, 03:07:56 PM
Not sure if anyone is watching but if so you may be pleased to know the the entire season has appeared online.

Up to episode 8 now. Very sad I've nearly finished but throughly enjoyed it!

Heh - weird hadn't seen your post till I posted my comments just there.

Edit - removed my question as how you had managed to get to ep 8.

Well, that's me finished the last episode and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.  i couldn't  really see where it was going with the story throughout which kept it as compelling and exciting viewing for myself. The final image was very haunting and contemplative. 

Mobius

I've got the last episode to go. Such a good show, gutted it's over.

Question about episode 9. Did the version you watched have subtitles during the non-english chats? Mine didn't and Lady Silence's conversation seemed long enough that it was relevant...

Quote from: Mobius on April 13, 2018, 09:23:02 AM
I've got the last episode to go. Such a good show, gutted it's over.

Question about episode 9. Did the version you watched have subtitles during the non-english chats? Mine didn't and Lady Silence's conversation seemed long enough that it was relevant...

No, it didn't. In fact  all parts when it was 'innuit' conversations were subtitle free. I assumed it was my viewing source as had thei with latest season of Narcos too.

Jared Harris is also outstanding as Captain Crozier. He really nails it throughout the episodes.

BlodwynPig

Just watched the first episode and love this. A glacial dread that even the sometimes hammy acting cannot thaw.

St_Eddie

I'm currently halfway through episode 2 and am enjoying it very much.  It's the kind of thing that would only ever get made for TV these days.  If it were a film, then the studio would insist upon a big CGI monster rushing at the camera every other scene, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in the lead tole and a dubstep soundtrack.

Mobius

Glad you guys are enjoying it. I thought it was fantastic throughout, a beautiful show and very moving at times.

A second season has been announced but as it's an anthology sort of show, it'll bear no relevance to S1 other than thematically. Apparently it's going to be set in a WW2 Japanese internment camp.

BlodwynPig

The ending was magnificent, albeit a tad obvious. I just loved that synth score over the final scene, perfect. The final few episodes did sag into familiar territory but overall a brilliant bit of tv. The next one looks interesting if they can get the "monster" of the week right.

Hecate

I loved this but could have done without the munster, to be honest.

Phil_A

Fucking hell, this is great. Properly gripping. I was literally biting my nails with anxiety at the climax of episode five.

Is there any reason this has had so little attention over here, despite the cast of British heavyweights? Amazon Prime UK haven't even picked it up even though it's on the US site.

jake thunder

Didn't realise there was a thread for this. Can't recommend it enough.

I've become a bit obsessed with the whole expedition. Reading the book now. Amazing adaptation.

Best TV series since True Detective S1.

Bazooka

Just binged on the plane, thought it was bloody excellent, great performances and interesting take on the survival in the ice format. I liked the addition of the monster, and an extra layer of dread.

robotam

Aye it was great. Often find myself trying to imitate your main guy saying "Mister Hickey".
Something pleasing about it.

St_Eddie

I'm now up to episode 5 and bloody loving it!  Marvelous, it is.

Dex Sawash

Was sure from the title this was something that would make me piss myself. Now I read the thread and it isn't free at AMC anymore and not on US  netflix/Amazon yet.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 23, 2018, 01:34:08 PM
Was sure from the title this was something that would make me piss myself. Now I read the thread and it isn't free at AMC anymore and not on US  netflix/Amazon yet.

Just do what I did and say "avast, ye matey".

Chollis

This is brilliant and everyone should watch it

Vitalstatistix

Absolutely spellbinding stuff, this. Show of the year.

Mobius

I'm glad everyone enjoyed this. This may be my most successful thread ever!

It's quite sad how little attention the show has gotten, as you said it's big budgety looks fantastic, with a lot of recognisable distinguished actors.

Curious to see how season 2 turns out because as far as I can tell it's not based on a novel, which Season 1 was. They're obviously confident they can tell similar stories.

Bazooka

Apparently series 2 is set during WW2 based around Japanese-American communities, with no source material not sure what it will be ,or how it could even possibly link.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on December 26, 2018, 06:20:55 AM
Apparently series 2 is set during WW2 based around Japanese-American communities, with no source material not sure what it will be ,or how it could even possibly link.

I don't think that it will link to the first season's story in any way, other than being a fictional story, rooted within a historical context.  George Takei has been cast, which is interesting because in his youth, he was held in an internment camp during World War II.  I wonder if the writers have used some of his experiences for their story.

Bazooka

But will there be a giant roid rage polar bear/sloth?

I've not stopped thinking about this show since I binged it, it really is the best series I've watched this year.