Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:13:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Rabbit

Started by Viero_Berlotti, April 02, 2018, 10:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

Took the kids to see this today as they really wanted to see it. I knew I would hate it because of James Corden, but fucking hell he really does make Peter an intensely insufferable cunt. I know I shouldn't be surprised by this, but this is an awful kids film. It tries so hard to emulate the magic of the recent Paddington films but falls flat on its face. Not even worth it for a Corden hate watch.

idunnosomename

Ugh it's grossed over 200m on a budget of 50

Part of that money is YOURS

And it's in JAMES CORDEN'S SAGGY JEANS NOW

You have my sympathies.  The trailer looked truly dreadful and luckily mine didn't want to see the whole film, so I dodged that bullet.  Was it anything particular that was so terrible, or just generally awful?

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on April 02, 2018, 10:23:20 PM
You have my sympathies.  The trailer looked truly dreadful and luckily mine didn't want to see the whole film, so I dodged that bullet.  Was it anything particular that was so terrible, or just generally awful?

It's mainly Corden's smart arse interpretation of Peter. It lacks the sweet, wide eyed innocence I think it needed. Some of the slapstick is fun, but it all to often just becomes loud and annoying. There's also absolutely zero chemistry between the two main adult protagonists, so there ends up being very little at stake, nothing to make us care.

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on April 02, 2018, 10:57:52 PM
It's mainly Corden's smart arse interpretation of Peter. It lacks the sweet, wide eyed innocence I think it needed. Some of the slapstick is fun, but it all to often just becomes loud and annoying. There's also absolutely zero chemistry between the two main adult protagonists, so there ends up being very little at stake, nothing to make us care.

sorry you had to suffer that.  It's pretty much what I thought (or guessed) from the trailer: if the main character's annoying for 90 seconds, imagine what it'll be like for an hour and a half.  An arse is an arse, even if it's got a fluffy tail on it.

James Corden's voiceovers made me want to pull my own ears off in Little Charley Bear, too.

gib

the posh people falling in love subplot that soon became the main plot was even more annoying than Corden

popcorn

James Corden's dad wrote to the BBC to complain that he was upset when Mark Kermode said his son was annoying in Peter Rabbit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlN7tgH376Q

Bloody hell. Imagine how he'd feel if he read CaB.

idunnosomename

Quote from: popcorn on April 03, 2018, 07:04:05 AM
James Corden's dad wrote to the BBC to complain that he was upset when Mark Kermode said his son was annoying in Peter Rabbit.

He makes Peter Kay look like a svelte demigod

Fambo Number Mive

That clip is incredible. So only the parents of a celebrity can call them "appallingly irritating"?

Reading up on coverage, I see Corden doesn't seem to understand what snobbery is.

QuoteAt the film's premiere, Corden accused those claiming Potter would not have liked the film of being "snobby".

What has snobbery to do with thinking what an author would have thought of a film adaptation? Should the parents of those who claimed Potter would not have liked the film write to Corden?

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 03, 2018, 08:27:42 AM
That clip is incredible. So only the parents of a celebrity can call them "appallingly irritating"?

Reading up on coverage, I see Corden doesn't seem to understand what snobbery is.

What has snobbery to do with thinking what an author would have thought of a film adaptation? Should the parents of those who claimed Potter would not have liked the film write to Corden?

that had the air of desperation.  I suppose when you're asked about mixed reviews for a film you're in, you have to clutch at a straw and blame it on someone else; the alternative being to shrug and say "Yes, it was a bit crap to be fair".

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: popcorn on April 03, 2018, 07:04:05 AM

Haha. Pathetic. The apple didn't fall far from the tree there did it?

idunnosomename

"Free speech" lol

First they came for the fat unfunny cunts, but I did not speak out, for I was not a fat unfunny cunt

Thomas

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 03, 2018, 08:27:42 AM

Not even that. Only the parents of James Corden specifically. Corden Senior notes that he usually enjoys the show, and so apparently doesn't object to Kermode's criticism of other celebrities and actors, regardless of their also having been born to parents.

James Corden alone is off-limits, because he is his own parents' son.

Film looks dreck.

Schnapple

Corden Junior has also been guilty of this. There's a Guardian profile of him from the Gavin and Stacey era in which he responds to criticism levelled at him on the now retired IMDB forum. What a twat.

Replies From View

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on April 03, 2018, 10:03:56 AM
that had the air of desperation.  I suppose when you're asked about mixed reviews for a film you're in, you have to clutch at a straw and blame it on someone else; the alternative being to shrug and say "Yes, it was a bit crap to be fair".

"Ah well.  Everyone's entitled to an opinion."

Done.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on April 02, 2018, 10:57:52 PM

Sort it this afternoon, and I was pretty prepped to like it so I could be a contrarian bastard here. But yeah, Peter's just a bit too annoying. He gets less so later in the film, I think, and arguably his character arc is about him learning what a cunt he is, but he's just not likeable enough.

I think the main problem with it is that it doesn't feel like they wanted to make a children's film - instead of a kids film with some stuff added for adults, it feels more like a grownup film with anything too risque removed and some slapstick chucked in. Lampshade hanging and the surprisingly violent electrocutions, and McGregor's weird mental health problems all seem like stuff that should be in a grownups film.

Golden E. Pump

James Corden hasn't got parents, the gargantuan gland. Everyone knows he was the side effect created by the Large Hadron Collider tearing a hole in the fabric of reality.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on April 07, 2018, 12:50:59 PM
James Corden hasn't got parents, the gargantuan gland. Everyone knows he was the side effect created by the Large Hadron Collider tearing a hole in the fabric of reality.

H.P. Lovecraft tried to warn us about this sort of thing but would we listen...

Bazooka

Is there a scene where Corden gets Myxomatosis?

greenman

Watership Down remake with John Hurt replaced by Gervais coming next?

Benjaminos

My missus made me watch this. If I was the kind of man to care about things, I would have some fairly strong opinions about how they managed to make Peter Rabbit into a really quite nasty, mean-spirited film.

SPOILERS (like you were going to watch it anyway)

Peter Rabbit is directly responsible for the death of Mr MacGregor within the first ten minutes of the film. He shows no remorse for this, despite being presented as a sentient animal, capable of discourse, with feelings, logic and reason. Rather, he delights in the fact that he has killed an old man who just wanted to grow some vegetables.

He then gets all his pals round to trash his house, eat all his food, and throw a big party to celebrate the demise of a pensioner. When MacGregor Jr turns up shortly afterwards, Peter Rabbit is aggrieved that his next of kin would have the sheer gall to claim what is rightfully his, and starts plotting his downfall. By spending the next hour or so maiming and torturing someone who hasn't really been presented in any way that makes you feel like he deserves it.

At no point does Peter Rabbit do anything to impress upon us why he should be allowed to live in the house and eat all the vegetables. He just assumes this is what he's entitled to, for some reason (because he's a prick).

It is revealed in an aside that MacGregor Jr. is severely allergic to raspberries. During an extended period of violent 'bants', Peter Rabbit manages to get him tied up, and encourages other animals to throw raspberries into his mouth, until he goes into anaphylactic shock and has to use an epi-pen to stop his throat from closing up. Peter Rabbit finds this hilarious.

Peter Rabbit suffers no consequences for any of his actions. By the end of the film, he gets to fill his smug face with vegetables and everyone ends up thinking he's a great bunch of lads.

If I took my (imaginary) kids to see this, I'd be appalled by the lessons it was teaching them. If you don't get what you want, even if you don't deserve it in the slightest and have done nothing to advance your own lot in life, simply bully and hurt people until they give in. They'll all forgive you afterwards.

It's a good job I'm so cool and aloof, or I'd end up going on the internet and writing ~400 words on an obscure underpopulated subforum about how much it pissed me off.

idunnosomename

Made money though, didn't it. Quite a lot

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 08, 2018, 04:51:46 PM
Made money though, didn't it. Quite a lot

James Corden's fat face won't stuff itself.

MojoJojo

While a lot of Benjaminos post is sort of correct, a lot of his points are addressed in the film - just not very well because the script is a bit of a mess.

1) Old MacGregor wanted to eat Peter and the other rabbits - and I can't remember but didn't he eat Peter's dad? So Peter being glad about him dying makes sense, even if he is a bit of a jerk about it.
2) Peter does realise he's being a dick, after he smashes up that woman's house. And that's supposed to be the emotional turning point of the film - Peter maturing and realising he needs to stop being such an arsehole. Although it's done very well so doesn't really work.

But yeah, it does make Peter into a bit of jerk.

Benjaminos

why are you defending this film

MojoJojo

I don't know really. I'm not really - I guess my thinking is that the points you raised are addressed by the film, but in such a cack handed manner they might not have bothered.

Replies From View

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 08, 2018, 05:26:24 PM
I don't know really. I'm not really - I guess my thinking is that the points you raised are addressed by the film, but in such a cack handed manner they might not have bothered.

To be fair, if Peter Rabbit's Dad was killed and eaten by the farmer that's probably an okay reason to hold a bit of a grudge.  That's slightly different from the farmer being a random pensioner who just wants to grow a few vegetables in peace.

I haven't seen the film myself as I heard it was shite.

Benjaminos

Yeah, fair enough. In all honesty, i wasn't really "watching" it, as much as "pissing about on an iPad and looking up occasionally to note things to complain about later".

Replies From View

Quote from: Benjaminos on June 08, 2018, 05:31:13 PM
looking up occasionally to note things to complain about later".

And did you find anything?

BlodwynPig

No law against humans eating rabbits..then again no law against rabbits killing pensioners