Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:10:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Quiet Place

Started by Sin Agog, April 02, 2018, 11:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Was good. Tense.  Almost felt a bit like The Last Of Us in parts.  Maybe some Signs 'n' Alien 'n' Pitch Black in there as well.  Always liked films where everyone shuts their wee geggies and lets the action do the talking.  I get the vibe the director isn't a natural action director (just something about the muddy way some of the set-pieces were...set up), but it's really good for a script by some nobodies that was picked up on a whim by Michael Bay's production company.

Yay for low-effort thread openers.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_quiet_place_2018/

Bad Ambassador

Jim from The Office in "not a natural action director" shock.

Sin Agog

I thought he was Gerard Butler for most of the film.

Schnapple

Looks like the threat level here is maybe even beyond midnight.

Bronzy

The male lead in it looks like he's 6'11'' and weighs 90 pounds. Gumby has a better body than him.

Boom, roasted.

kidsick5000

Is this Jim fto's payback deal for the Benbhazi film?

Wet Blanket

I thought it was a pretty ordinary monster flick. Very hokey and absolutely packed with plot holes and inconsistencies. Got very silly towards the end - a major twist comes straight out of Mars Attacks. Some moments were very effective, but it don't understand why it's being so lauded. It Comes At Night covered similar ground much more satisfyingly.

non capisco

Missed the opportunity for a scene where one of the characters has to hold in an absolute rascal of a fart.

itsfredtitmus

Title kinda sounds like a Terence Davies

Mini

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 08, 2018, 12:43:46 PM
I thought it was a pretty ordinary monster flick. Very hokey and absolutely packed with plot holes and inconsistencies. Got very silly towards the end - a major twist comes straight out of Mars Attacks. Some moments were very effective, but it don't understand why it's being so lauded. It Comes At Night covered similar ground much more satisfyingly.

I'm with you there. I thought maybe I was just being a Cynical Horror Bastard because everyone is calling it edge-of-your-seat terrifying and I didn't find it even remotely scary. And as you say, the core idea was pretty inconsistent. I said as much in my review: https://screengoblin.com/2018/04/07/a-quiet-place/

Wet Blanket

QuoteYou know the scene in every Spielberg movie where someone (usually a child or Tom Cruise) has to hide from some kind of probing alien technology before it gets distracted and leaves? Well A Quiet Place is comprised entirely of that scene, one after the next

That's bang on. I reckon there probably is a great film in John Krasinski, although this had the whiff of one of those sort-of indie films that earns directors a bit of kudos before being given a superhero franchise to work with.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mini on April 09, 2018, 10:04:07 AM
I'm with you there. I thought maybe I was just being a Cynical Horror Bastard because everyone is calling it edge-of-your-seat terrifying and I didn't find it even remotely scary. And as you say, the core idea was pretty inconsistent. I said as much in my review: https://screengoblin.com/2018/04/07/a-quiet-place/

An excellent review as always; informative and entertaining.  I was thinking of going to the cinema to watch this but I reckon I'll wait for it on TV now.

I've neglected your blog for a while and will catch-up on the reviews tonight.  Lovely stuff.

colacentral

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 08, 2018, 12:43:46 PM
I thought it was a pretty ordinary monster flick. Very hokey and absolutely packed with plot holes and inconsistencies. Got very silly towards the end - a major twist comes straight out of Mars Attacks

Gee, I wonder what this could be in a film about monsters with sensitive ears. Thanks for the spoiler.

Sin Agog

Quote from: colacentral on April 09, 2018, 06:08:29 PM
Gee, I wonder what this could be in a film about monsters with sensitive ears. Thanks for the spoiler.

Sarah Jessica Parker has a walk-on part as a half-woman, half-poodle.

St_Eddie

Haha.  It really is incredibly obvious what the spoiler is, from that "hint".

Mini

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 09, 2018, 03:53:17 PM
An excellent review as always; informative and entertaining.  I was thinking of going to the cinema to watch this but I reckon I'll wait for it on TV now.

I've neglected your blog for a while and will catch-up on the reviews tonight.  Lovely stuff.

Thanks St_Eddie, you've always been my favourite Cabber.

I'm still baffled by the number of people calling this movie terrifying. Did we watch the same film?

Bronzy

I admittedly found it quite frightening, though that was probably due to the fact I was literally the only person in the screen I was in, which probably heightened the experience.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mini on April 10, 2018, 01:04:05 AM
Thanks St_Eddie, you've always been my favourite Cabber.

D'aww.  Thanks, mate.  That helps to counter my parents telling me that I was their least favourite child.  I wouldn't have minded so much but I was an only child.

Quote from: Mini on April 10, 2018, 01:04:05 AMI'm still baffled by the number of people calling this movie terrifying. Did we watch the same film?

It doesn't surprise me.  Horror is a niche genre and as such, the majority of audiences are easily coaxed into shitting their pantaloons by anything involving a cheap jump scare or two.

Quote from: Bronzy on April 10, 2018, 01:22:57 AM
I admittedly found it quite frightening, though that was probably due to the fact I was literally the only person in the screen I was in...

Personally, I'd find that to be joyful and relaxing experience.  It's the strangers sat around me at the cinema, who set me on edge.

Wet Blanket

Nah that's hyperbole on my part. It's not a real spoiler.

Quote from: non capisco on April 08, 2018, 10:08:43 PM
Missed the opportunity for a scene where one of the characters has to hold in an absolute rascal of a fart.

Or eat their bag of crisps in an office.

Schnapple

I liked this quite alot. I wouldn't say it was particularly scary beyond the first half an hour, although the creatures were pretty unpleasant as far as CG creations go, especially their inner workings. It was very tense, though, although the set pieces really did stack up from the first home invasion onwards, to the point that it became fairly farcical.

Emily Blunt is lovely.

thugler

Didn't enjoy this at all beyond the opening 45 minutes. Very derivative and completely inconsistent with the world it had set up. Like someone else said 'it comes at night' was far better and that was by no means a classic.

Mini

I feel like this is one of those horror films for people who don't really like horror films...

Custard

What a wanky thing to say. Maaaate.

I love horror films, and I really enjoyed this. Tense, well acted, exciting.

4 balloons

Mini

It was wanky, I'm sorry. It just felt like a watered down version of ideas executed much more menacingly elsewhere, and I think that's why it's been so broadly successful. I'm just bitter cos I didn't get that thrill so many people have described.

Wet Blanket

Yeah me too. My dislike for this is coloured by my disappointment after I plumped for itover Ghost Stories based on the rave reviews. Still haven't got round to GS.

Mini

Ghost Stories restored my faith in horror cinema's ability to scare me after the disappointment of A Quiet Place. That was lovely.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

No films scare me. I'm just too tough.

iamcoop

I thought this was pretty rubbish.

The only way it would've been remotely salvageable for me was if everyone had died at the end.

Brundle-Fly

I saw this yesterday and thought it was a very serviceable horror movie but felt like I'd seen it all before. And that's the problem, I've come to the conclusion that horror films (like new rock bands) are for the young or the uninitiated now.  I still enjoy both those things greatly but it is very hard to surprise us old bastards anymore and why should they?

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I thought the monsters were 'a bit stock' :Alien xenomorph: big teeth, no eyes, pig squealing Check,
Predator - face that opens up, clicking noises Check  See also Life, War Of The Worlds , The Mist, Signs, Super 8, The Thing remake

Where do these post-apocalyptic people get their electricity from? The power stations would be unmanned and you couldn't run noisy generators because they would attract walkers, blind monsters, mutants etc.