Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:06:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Quiet Place

Started by Sin Agog, April 02, 2018, 11:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wet Blanket

MORE SPOILER PROBLEMS

If it's okay to talk normally near the river and that waterfall, why not just move your lodgings near that river and the waterfall?

Aliens which are blind and vulnerable to ordinary shotgun blasts, but also drawn to loud noises (but easily fooled by louder ambient noises) wouldn't be too much of a match for the military surely? Or even just ordinary gun-nut yanks. 

Any family dealing with a hostile alien invasion that sees no flaw in walking single file, with the youngest and most vulnerable member at the back of that file, deserves to have that bairn get eaten.

Not once does Emily Blunt say to the kids, "mind that nail."

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 19, 2018, 04:07:39 PM
MORE SPOILER PROBLEMS

Not once does Emily Blunt say to the kids, "mind that nail."

I know, it was driving me mad. I was starting to worry about her not getting a tetanus jab too.  It would have been a nice touch if the monster trod on the nail as well and let out a huge Oliver Hardy scream and then looked exasperated into camera.

Also was the mum pregnant before the invasion took place? I can't remember the time line? If not, it would be pretty irresponsible to have a shag, 1) because of the noise. 2) Getting pregnant. There's only so many times you can shut a mewling baby in a large vanity case.

Mini

And why weren't more monsters attracted by the noise of that one banging loudly on top of the car?

It's well directed but the script lets it down, nothing in the film makes sense because if these creatures feed when hearing any noise louder than a whisper then how was anyone alive long enough enough to be able to make the announcement to the papers that it's sound? How did the papers get printed? How were the family able to set up surveillance equipment? How were they able to mark which parts of the floorboards and stairs didn't make noise? Why weren't the creatures constantly drawn to the noise of the waterfall?

Namtab

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 19, 2018, 07:24:43 PM
It's well directed but the script lets it down, nothing in the film makes sense because if these creatures feed when hearing any noise louder than a whisper then how was anyone alive long enough enough to be able to make the announcement to the papers that it's sound? How did the papers get printed? How were the family able to set up surveillance equipment? How were they able to mark which parts of the floorboards and stairs didn't make noise? Why weren't the creatures constantly drawn to the noise of the waterfall?

I think there's some dumb stuff in this film, and it's by no means perfect (and frustratingly doesn't live up to its potential), but I think some of these are pretty easily answerable.

1. Could have been a gradual thing; the creatures appearing and multiplying over time, so at first papers and things like that were still printable until the complete onslaught of them that we get in the film
2 + 3. I'll give you that this one's a bit tricker, but it's not unthinkable or impossible to construct those things with minimal sound if you're good at handiwork I guess? Far-fetched, but not impossible.
4. It's explained in the film that natural sounds like that don't phase them, as they've grown used to them.

Quote from: Namtab on April 19, 2018, 11:16:40 PM
I think there's some dumb stuff in this film, and it's by no means perfect (and frustratingly doesn't live up to its potential), but I think some of these are pretty easily answerable.

1. Could have been a gradual thing; the creatures appearing and multiplying over time, so at first papers and things like that were still printable until the complete onslaught of them that we get in the film
2 + 3. I'll give you that this one's a bit tricker, but it's not unthinkable or impossible to construct those things with minimal sound if you're good at handiwork I guess? Far-fetched, but not impossible.
4. It's explained in the film that natural sounds like that don't phase them, as they've grown used to them.

According to Wiki they completely wiped out most of the Earth's population in just under 3 months. I can't remember that being stated in the film, but if I missed it then it's not a gradual thing. Certainly if the papers are able to realise it's sound there's going to be people experimenting with frequencies to use as weapons. Especially as you have one little girl stumbling into the solution.

I really don't see a way that marking out the stairs/floorboards is possible without making a noise. Even if they just tested a step on each one and marked it as soon as he knew it was safe rather than testing every surface it still tests the willing suspension of disbelief that he just hit places that didn't make a noise on his first attempt. As does hooking up the surveillance stuff considering the cameras would need to be outside.

As for four, how can Jim from The Office possibly know that? At what point does he decide to test his luck by screaming at the waterfall? Would you? Because if there's big fuck-off creatures that kill you based on sound you make I would not risk screaming, even when covered by a waterfall. It's a huge risk for anyone, especially a man who we're shown to be obsessive about this stuff.

The thing is you could fix these problems by just having this be the first time the creatures have been spotted. What screws it is the backstory and the desire to give it a sense of massive scale.

Sin Agog

Humanity would have survived if it weren't for mardy teenagers playing tinny Bubblegum Bass on the speakers of their phones wherever they went.

Brundle-Fly

And, as if the U.S military wouldn't have sussed out to eventually use sonic weaponry on these creatures?  I'm beginning to get annoyed with this film's plot holes now.

mrpupkin

Fucking shit this, did not care about beardy twat and his family of cunts. "Must continue the family" and all that...nah no point is there mate, end of the world probably. Do us all a favour, fling your children into a silo and fuck off

Sin Agog

I think my early screening benefited from having fuck all clue what this was.  All the subsequent hype for what is a low-key maiden script directed by the Office dude (Cineworld were even using clips from it to encourage cinema patrons with the munchies to hush up) inflated expectations far too much.  Anyone else notice a vast increase in people having to nip to the toilet?  Almost seemed like a Busby Berkeley choreographed routine of people dancing back and forth in the aisles at one point.  I guess silence makes you think about your bladder more?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mini on April 17, 2018, 05:25:05 PM
It was wanky, I'm sorry.

I didn't find your comment to be wanky at all.  Personally, I found it to be an astute observation.  Possibly that's a wanky thing to say, in of itself, in which case; fair play because I am a dedicated wanker.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 19, 2018, 03:27:17 PM
...Alien xenomorph: big teeth, no eyes, pig squealing...

Elephantine squealing, mate.  Elephant, not pig.  Pig squealing is Deliverance.

Doesn't pregnancy cause really bad wind? How has she managed nine months without farting or burping?

Small Man Big Horse

Add me to the "Ugh, that was a disappointment" club. Started off fine, I enjoyed the kid being killed early (but not seeing him being graphically torn apart whilst everyone looked on aghast disappointed) but then it was a fairly predictable affair.

Quote from: iamcoop on April 18, 2018, 11:45:49 AM
I thought this was pretty rubbish.

The only way it would've been remotely salvageable for me was if everyone had died at the end.

I was thinking / hoping that. And maybe they did, I mean the frequency thing makes the monsters go a bit crazy but how many bullets did she have on her?

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 19, 2018, 04:39:14 PM
Also was the mum pregnant before the invasion took place? I can't remember the time line? If not, it would be pretty irresponsible to have a shag, 1) because of the noise. 2) Getting pregnant. There's only so many times you can shut a mewling baby in a large vanity case.

Nah, there's a time jump of about a year after the little kid was mauled, and she's suddenly pregnant. That whole plotline was ridiculous, and when Jim from The Office found her in the shower complete with a happy baby in a makeshift nappy everyone burst out laughing.

Goldentony

Had no idea what to expect going in to this last night, just knew that it'd been hyped so I was biased thinking it'd either be poncy or total shit. Didn't think it was either, but was hugely disappointed when the kid gets his shit wrecked by a CGI alien at the beginning, because CGI aliens are an instant get fucked for me but readjusted quickly and settled with the fact that it's basically just a daft B movie. Really stupid, not really scary at all but a decent use of a fiver for 90 minutes. I will never think about this film at length again.

Mini

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 21, 2018, 01:15:35 PM
Doesn't pregnancy cause really bad wind? How has she managed nine months without farting or burping?

Krasinski addressed that - http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a854570/a-quiet-place-cast-john-krasinski-solves-noise-problem/

Quote"[Noah] was our sounding board for a lot of this," Krasinski said. "He said, 'What happens if we need to cough?' And I said, 'Well you guys would know to pick up a pillow and cough into the pillow.'

"I only imagine now little Noah putting a pillow on his behind and farting into a pillow, knowing that it would save his life."

So there's your answer. Emily Blunt has farty pillows.

Dead Soon

So, did those daft kids get back to their game of Monopoly, or was the atmosphere too compromised to resume with the same enthusiasm as previously?

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 21, 2018, 08:16:50 PM
That whole plotline was ridiculous, and when Jim from The Office found her in the shower complete with a happy baby in a makeshift nappy everyone burst out laughing.

Of all the things that annoyed me, that one pissed me off the most. The endlessly chattering twats in the cinema (and myself) were all wondering how she's supposed to give birth with the monsters about. It's a key bit of tension. And the answer is: She just does. Off-camera. With a monster in the kitchen or something.

That and expecting everyone from the monster to the little girl to stab themselves on that nail again showed a remarkable lack of attention to detail in a film that invites the audience to overthink and analyse everything that's going on.

If it were just some B-movie that had popped up on TV one night I wouldn't mind. But I paid money (well, I used up a Moviepass entry) to go to this, so I've found it more annoying than it probably deserves.

St_Eddie

Today's audiences are fools.  Last year's It was a horror classic?!  Is that how far our standards have fallen?  It was fun but also very, very silly and not in the least bit scary; not unless you find cheap jump scares and a clown doing a jaunty jig to be the height of horror.

*grumble*

Glebe

Saw it early in the week, only arsed posting about it now... I thought it was okay, it certainly wears a lot of those aforementioned-influences on it's sleeve. The when-is-it-gonna-happen, nail-through-the-foot moment was a tough watch.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on April 29, 2018, 03:05:42 AM
Saw it early in the week, only arsed posting about it now... I thought it was okay, it certainly wears a lot of those aforementioned-influences on it's sleeve. The when-is-it-gonna-happen, nail-through-the-foot moment was a tough watch.

"Lynn, I've pierced my foot on a spike!"

Glebe

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 29, 2018, 03:50:02 AM"Lynn, I've pierced my foot on a spike!"

Haha! "Ooh, you'd better leave alien before I shoot yeh - sorry, sounded a bit camp!" *vomits*

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 08, 2018, 12:43:46 PMGot very silly towards the end - a major twist comes straight out of Mars Attacks.

Fuck's sake, YES. Good spot.

Quote from: Bronzy on April 03, 2018, 02:12:33 AMThe male lead in it looks like he's 6'11'' and weighs 90 pounds. Gumby has a better body than him.

Boom, roasted.

Heh... Roger Ebert, where are ye now?

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 02, 2018, 11:52:03 PMI thought he was Gerard Butler for most of the film.

Bronzy

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 29, 2018, 03:50:02 AM
"Lynn, I've pierced my foot on a spike!"

"You're just quoting bits from Casualty now!"

"Then all the blood will run out of the hole in my foot, you old mess!"

Bronzy

Quote from: Glebe on April 29, 2018, 06:01:15 AM
Heh... Roger Ebert, where are ye now?

You crush your wife during sex and your heart sucks.

Boom, roasted.

saltysnacks

Modern horror films are so bad, that a critically lauded horror film is almost always mediocre.

St_Eddie

Quote from: saltysnacks on May 02, 2018, 12:15:13 AM
Modern horror films are so bad, that a critically lauded horror film is almost always mediocre.

I endorse this comment.

A great critique from Adam (Your Movie Sucks), here.

monolith

Quote from: non capisco on April 08, 2018, 10:08:43 PM
Missed the opportunity for a scene where one of the characters has to hold in an absolute rascal of a fart.
Giving birth essentially amounted to this in the film.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 19, 2018, 04:39:14 PM
It would have been a nice touch if the monster trod on the nail as well and let out a huge Oliver Hardy scream and then looked exasperated into camera.

Come on, Krasinski. Make it happen.
Or at least https://youtu.be/2_yNeoXsWDA?t=47s

Ham Bap

Watched this last weekend, and avoided all forums and talk about it. Just heard that it was good.

It was ok, standard fare really. Though I wonder if it might have been better watching it in the cinema (ahem).

Bazooka

This was just released in China, fuck a duck, I feel it having been made in the 1950's would have at least given it certain cinematic aesthetic values. Good concept, but horrendous execution, from the creature design( have the writers/directors not seen more than 2 films/Stranger Things did the same mimicry). The majority of the film is the basement scene from Spielberg's War of the Worlds remake, and the ending of Signs, the flaws with sound based plotholes is not even worth talking about because they are endless. 2/10 cups of popcorn, no interesting cinematography to make up for the flaws.

Also, the cretins that made this thought it was necessary to have a white board and newspaper clippings shown every 30 minutes to explain the plot and the antagonist, because that had not already been established 15 minutes in.................

Gregory Torso

I just saw this in China too, with all the subtitled sign language in Chinese. The most entertaining part of the film was my wife getting pissed off at me constantly asking her "what did Jim's hands just say?".