Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Quiet Place

Started by Sin Agog, April 02, 2018, 11:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 21, 2018, 03:56:32 PM
I just saw this in China too, with all the subtitled sign language in Chinese. The most entertaining part of the film was my wife getting pissed off at me constantly asking her "what did Jim's hands just say?".

Ha yeah forgot about that, my girlfriend was translating, but I didn't feel like I was missing much.

Z

Quote from: Bazooka on May 20, 2018, 04:07:05 PM
Also, the cretins that made this thought it was necessary to have a white board and newspaper clippings shown every 30 minutes to explain the plot and the antagonist, because that had not already been established 15 minutes in.................
Didn't he have a whole board dedicated to "WHAT IS THEIR WEAKNESS?!!!?"

Keebleman

I was expecting to be a minority voice, but it seems underwhelment is widespread.  I wasn't bored by the film, but I think it is rivaled for plot-holes, inconsistencies and ridiculous behaviour by the characters only by Hitchock's Frenzy.

Something that no-one else seems to have mentioned - that Father-Son expedition to the waterfall: how long were they meant to be going for?  Dad took a shitload of equipment, and the boy was freaked out at the prospect so I assumed it was for days, but they were able to get back to base almost immediately.  And what was the purpose of the trip?  To show him how they caught fish?  Wouldn't both the kids already know that?

And the soundproofed basement where they moved after the baby had been born - why weren't they there all the time?  And how did it flood?

Oh and that exposition white board apart from being silly was also misleading.  It was written on there that were at least three creatures nearby, but the number of attacks, and the brief shot at the end of the creatures scuttling away from the sounds, suggest that there were many more.

And that ruddy nail!  Why was it even there in the first place?

magval

Quote from: Keebleman on June 11, 2018, 12:53:23 AM
And the soundproofed basement where they moved after the baby had been born - why weren't they there all the time?  And how did it flood?

And that ruddy nail!  Why was it even there in the first place?

Aye, why WEREN'T they there the whole time?!

And considering ALL that shit they went to, with the trails of sand, the lighting system, all of that, they didn't check the fucking house for hazards?

Who were the people lighting the other torches? Guess we'll find out in A Nother Quiet Place.

Mister Six

Quote from: Keebleman on June 11, 2018, 12:53:23 AM
It was written on there that were at least three creatures nearby, but the number of attacks, and the brief shot at the end of the creatures scuttling away from the sounds, suggest that there were many more.

They were scuttling towards the sound of the shotgun.

It is a shit film though.

Can't believe that the entire US military didn't think to experiment with sonic weapons. Or go for a headshot now and again. Or have any weapons - such as those carried by helicopters hovering out of leaping distance, say - strong enough to punch through the aliens' "armour".

magval

Thought that too. There's no way they wouldn't have tried sonics, if they'd figured out noise was the key.

Isn't it shit when a great idea like this is squandered on a shit fucking modern American film like this?

zomgmouse

I didn't like this from the get-go - predictable, not very interesting beyond a base-level "what's going to happen to them". Pretty average Hollywood horror stuff that wasn't thrilling or scary or emotionally engaging. It's a film where nobody speaks and I still wanted them all to SHUT UP.