Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2001: A Space Odyssey - 50 Years Old

Started by Blumf, April 03, 2018, 11:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

The classic po-faced, future perfect, sci-fi is 50 years old this month

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/releaseinfo

Undoubtedly a massively important and influential film. With beautiful special effects, impressive sets, and an iconic antagonist, it remains a pleasure to watch, even if it can be a fair bit pretentious. Unsurprisingly then, present day cinema's Mr. Up-his-own-arse director Christopher Nolan will be presenting a special showing at Cannes

I'll be digging out my BR sometime this week for a viewing.

Blinder Data

In the top ten best films ever made and, unlike the usual suspects, will outlive them all.

Replies From View

There are people who are able to breathe who think that the sequel, 2010, is superior to 2001.

thraxx

Quote from: Replies From View on April 03, 2018, 01:29:13 PM
There are people who are able to breathe who think that the sequel, 2010, is superior to 2001.

I enjoy insisting that 2012 is the sequel to 2010, and that it is the best film in the trilogy.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

monolith

Need to see it again as have always been smashed off my tits when watching it. My current recollection is just apes>monolith>hour and a half dicking around in space>HAL> Weird trippy shit.

Keebleman

Pure cinema.

Pretty much any other movie can be transposed to some other medium - literature, stage, comic book - and retain at least some sense of its cinematic impact.  2001's flavour can only be experienced by watching the film.

phantom_power

You have clearly never played the board game

Replies From View

Quote from: monolith on April 03, 2018, 02:00:25 PM
My current recollection is just apes>monolith>hour and a half dicking around in space>HAL> Weird trippy shit.

Strange that.

Replies From View

Personally I could lose most of the ape stuff at the start.  Anyone agree?

thraxx

Quote from: Replies From View on April 03, 2018, 04:58:51 PM
Personally I could lose most of the ape stuff at the start.  Anyone agree?

I think that it could lose all of the space stuff to be honest, well all of it.  There's not nearly enough of those big lovely apes.  I'd love to have seen those scenes extended, for instance they could have a big scene where they keep slapping the apes lovely furry arses.

Dex Sawash

Enjoyed the prequel TV series Space 1999

Sebastian Cobb

Blinder Data

Quote from: Blinder Data on April 03, 2018, 11:53:29 AM
In the top ten best films ever made and, unlike the usual suspects, will outlive them all.

I should clarify I'm referring to Citizen Kane, La Regle du Jeu, etc. not the Usual Suspects (1995).

Blumf

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 05, 2018, 02:37:15 PM
He's not joking.

I am disappointed they go straight from the Dawn of Man to the Jupiter Mission, without the moon incident.

phantom_power

Go directly to transcendental understanding of the universe. Do not pass the monolith. Do not collect 200 space credits

St_Eddie

I've got a full-sized, framed poster of 2001: A Space Odyssey, adorning my wall.  My Dad purchased it for me.  I didn't ask for it.  I would have preferred a less specific print; maybe a non-film related piece.  Still, I like the Blade Runner poster that he also purchased for me, so I can't complain.  The film itself; I'm indifferent.  It's good, I guess.  The double-whammy of sci-fi posters, do belial the geek within me though.  Pathetic, as I am.

Blinder Data

Don't understand someone being indifferent about 2001. Either you think it's an astounding film, one of the best ever, or a load of overblown tosh. Cannot see how you get to the middle ground

St_Eddie

Quote from: Blinder Data on April 05, 2018, 10:36:18 PM
Don't understand someone being indifferent about 2001. Either you think it's an astounding film, one of the best ever, or a load of overblown tosh. Cannot see how you get to the middle ground

And yet, here I am.

Blumf

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 05, 2018, 10:49:08 PM
And yet, here I am.

I suppose I can see it as being a case that the film has become so influential it's lost it's impact.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Blumf on April 05, 2018, 11:15:07 PM
I suppose I can see it as being a case that the film has become so influential it's lost it's impact.

Honestly, I think that I just need to watch it again.  It's been a while.  Kubrick is my favourite director of all time, so it's got that going for it.  *eyes the Stanley Kubrick Blu-Ray Collection set*

mothman

There's a new book out about 2001, I just put in a preorder for it...

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 05, 2018, 09:42:25 PM
I've got a full-sized, framed poster of 2001: A Space Odyssey, adorning my wall.  My Dad purchased it for me.

I own a possible original poster I found in a flea market in Brussels. "2001: l'odyssée de l'espace / een ruimteodyssee."

So now you know what "space odyssey" in Flemish means!

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on April 05, 2018, 11:24:48 PM

And I'm a better man for it.

Keebleman

Quote from: mothman on April 05, 2018, 11:24:48 PM
There's a new book out about 2001, I just put in a preorder for it...

I own a possible original poster I found in a flea market in Brussels. "2001: l'odyssée de l'espace / een ruimteodyssee."

No I don't.  I know now what "space odyssey" in Flemish looks like, and if pushed (by a drunken Belgian movie buff) I would have a bash at saying it, but I don't know what the words "space odyssey" would mean in a Flemish context.  I strongly suspect they wouldn't mean anything at all, as they are English.