Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:12:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

2001: A Space Odyssey - 50 Years Old

Started by Blumf, April 03, 2018, 11:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

BUMMM BUMMMMMMM, BUMMM BUMM.  DA DA DA DA DA DA DA NEW PAGE.

Quote from: bgmnts on April 06, 2018, 01:01:37 AM
Is HAL a paedo?

It's not HAL's fault that the powers that be, chose to install his all seeing peeper into boys changing rooms, the country over.

Blumf

No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or been caught with it's hand down an 8 year old's pants.

greenman

Not sure I'd call it entirely po faced, Dr Floyd and the messages from home always seemed like a bit of a piss take on cheese 50's Americanisms.

Wet Blanket

I don't much go in for sci-fi but I love 2001. I file it alongside Eraserhead and Under the Skin as an eye-popping works of surrealism; it amazes me that such a chilly and haunting film could have been a blockbuster (although Roger Ebert's contemporary review does mention restless audiences).

This is a really good BBC4 interview panel with Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood (and Brian Cox and  Christopher Frayling) about the film. Lockwood's a right ornery fucker.

Custard

I read that as Gary Lineker. Which would've been great

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 06, 2018, 08:58:35 AM
This is a really good BBC4 interview panel with Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood (and Brian Cox and  Christopher Frayling) about the film. Lockwood's a right ornery fucker.

Thanks, although i wish there was a bit less Frayling and a lot less Cox.

From that i found this which was amusing - i had heard the story before but not from the mouth of Mr Dullea which makes it much funnier - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KH6ppM7CPaA

Captain Crunch

Hopefully this will spark off some cinema showings.  I've found one so far in Bath, anyone else seen any?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 06, 2018, 08:58:35 AM
He could have at least combed his hair, that host. Thumbs down from me.

I remember going to Cardiff to see a re-release of it (somewhere between 95 and 97) and really appreciating the big-screen-ness of it all. It's really good innit?

I have the making-of paperback which I really ought to read one day. I just look at the pictures.

Wet Blanket

I'd love to see this on the big screen but worry it's the sort of film that might attract wankers who'll cheer or something at certain moments when I want to let it wash over me in austere silence.

mothman

Seen it in the cinema twice. Get me. The 1978 re-release (to be fair, I don't know what my dad was thinking. I was seven for fuck's sake; and I have a feeling my little brother was there too, so he'd've been three), and in the early 90s at one of the Tyneside Film Festivals.

Isnt Anything

LA Times - Christopher Nolan returns Kubrick sci-fi masterpiece '2001: A Space Odyssey' to its original glory

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-christopher-nolan-2001-20180503-story.html

shiftwork2

A tremendous masterpiece.  First saw it at the cinema as part of a friend's misjudged 9th birthday party expecting something similar to Star Wars.  There was a collective thumbs down at the intermission, although we were heartened to hear Steven's inside info that an alien comes on board in the second half and they run around shooting at it.  Cunt.

mothman

Howj Begg

Looking likely it'll be rereleased at the BFI this Autumn, which is when I'm saving my next viewing for.

studpuppet

mothman

Well, well. I knew the original concept called for a crystalline or translucent structure, but not that it was actually built.

saltysnacks

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 03, 2018, 05:21:31 PM
it's bad, folks

I'd be very interested in your in-depth opinion on 2001, Verdoux.

itsfredtitmus

Alright, I guess. Good for a pre-nights out drink

Sebastian Cobb

Just seen some spam that the GFT (and presumably Curzon etc) are putting out a digital remaster of 2001.

More interestingly they're also showing an 'untouched' 70mm print in September. I'm quite eager to see that.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Replies From View on April 03, 2018, 01:29:13 PM
There are people who are able to breathe who think that the sequel, 2010, is superior to 2001.

not sure I'm all the way out there, but the 2010 book & flick are both decent efforts. the subsequent books are utter bollocks though. flogging a dead horpse.

thraxx

Quote from: Blumf on April 06, 2018, 01:53:15 AM
No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or been caught with it's hand down an 8 year old's pants.

Well, that explains it then. The HALs always were a bit twitchy. That could never happen now with our behavioral inhibitors.

buzby

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 12, 2018, 08:31:52 PM
not sure I'm all the way out there, but the 2010 book & flick are both decent efforts. the subsequent books are utter bollocks though. flogging a dead horpse.
My big problem with the film is that Hyams ignored all the research Kubrick did to get the space scenes right and we got sounds in space, such as the engine noises..

They did try hard to recreate the models, sets and props from 2001. Very little exists, as almost everything was destroyed to avoid them being reused (though after his death, it turned out there were a lot of blueprints for the sets, props and models in his archive, he just presumably didn't want to lend them to Hyams). The production designers worked from blown-up 70mm frames from the original film to produce replicas .

HAL's monitors are one of the most noticeable changes, being standard CRTs instead fo the rear projection screens used by Kubrick. HAL's terminals also gained keyboards - there weren't any on the Discovery in 2001.. The space suits were also noticeably different

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: buzby on May 12, 2018, 11:38:31 PM
My big problem with the film is that Hyams ignored all the research Kubrick did to get the space scenes right and we got sounds in space, such as the engine noises..

They did try hard to recreate the models, sets and props from 2001. Very little exists, as almost everything was destroyed to avoid them being reused (though after his death, it turned out there were a lot of blueprints for the sets, props and models in his archive, he just presumably didn't want to lend them to Hyams). The production designers worked from blown-up 70mm frames from the original film to produce replicas .

HAL's monitors are one of the most noticeable changes, being standard CRTs instead fo the rear projection screens used by Kubrick. HAL's terminals also gained keyboards - there weren't any on the Discovery in 2001.. The space suits were also noticeably different

yeah, I noted all that, but (like stevie ray vaughan doing hendrix) I tried to see past the production values of the time & enjoy the story. I did find myself thinking the treatment was a little graceless in places. but it was still better than (e.g.) the clooney 'solaris'....

someone has very carefully made a screensaver using the graphics that were created for the original HAL screens. I installed it on my imac & the very first thing it did was a bright green background with, in big bold eurostyle/microgramma/whatever, "CNT". charming, I thought.

Shit Good Nose

2001 is one of my favourite films, but I have a LOT of time for 2010 as well.  I've always liked it and, whilst not superior, I think it's more than worthy of being companioned with 2001.  I think the fact it's so stylistically and tonally different works in its favour - it's not just trying to recreate the first film.