Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:20:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films that simply MUST be seen in the cinema

Started by Blinder Data, April 03, 2018, 12:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

*snobby arthouse cunt voice* "cuh, of course shouldn't all films fall within that category?"

Yes of course dickhead but that's not workable is it

Most people nowadays watch films outside the cinema: on your laptop, tablet or even your phone (some lucky buggers have home cinema set-ups of course).

But some films simply MUST be seen in the cinema, otherwise you don't get the full experience. You need the screen to fill your eyes and the sound system to batter your ears.

What films would you include? For me, one should always try to watch horror films in the cinema or at least large groups. You need the screams of fellow viewers to add to the atmosphere - watching Drag Me to Hell in the AMC at G-Mex was a fantastic experience, for example.

My starter for 10:

Mad Max: Fury Road

Full disclosure: I have not seen the original Mad Maxes so I can't compare. I went in to watch this only based on good reviews/feedback and holy hell was it one of the best cinematic experiences of my life. It was all-consuming, relentless, exhausting. When the music and action finally let up after the first 30 (40?) minutes, you could hear the whole cinema breathe a sigh of relief. It made me think differently about scripts, world-building, and how this amazing film lacked so many so-called fundamental film aspects and yet satisfied them too. There's no way I'll watch it again until I can get close to replicating the environment I had the first time.

My uncle who pirates everything said he didn't think much of it. Well of course you wouldn't you DICKHEAD

There are loads of obvious suggestions I could add but I want to hear yours

holyzombiejesus

Under the Skin and Berberian Sound Studio, although I'd say the latter 'MUST be heard in the cinema'.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I saw Fury Road in the cinema. Twice. I've only ever seen Mad Max 2 at home, but it shits on Fury Road from a great height.

Paaaaul

I watched Gravity in 3D in the cinema and was blown away by the immersive way it dragged me in.
Watching it on telly, I turned it off after 20 minutes because it was dreadful.

And yes, Mad Max:Fury Road was the last film I watched at the cinema twice.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 03, 2018, 12:17:39 PM
Under the Skin and Berberian Sound Studio, although I'd say the latter 'MUST be heard in the cinema'.

Despite being on of my faves, I've only seen The Berbs once as I the thought of watching it on a laptop is sacrilege. I've got the DVD though. INLAND EMPIRE also is phenomenal on the big screen

Z

Fury Road for sure, don't get why basically every screening near me  since its original release has been the B&W version though.

Gravity is a great amusement park ride, unsure if it would hold up to rewatching at all but the first viewing should be in a cinema.

Most of the time my criteria for "must be seen in cinema" are things where I either think my attention span won't hold at home and/or the piece will be seriously weakened by being able to hit pause.

itsfredtitmus

If you go to a really expensive cinema they let you pause it for a bit

Cuntbeaks

Akira - Left me speechless, easily the most visceral film i had seen in the cinema.

Samsara - As with all the films in this genre, they need to be seen on as big a screen as possible. Would love to have seen this in the Imax in 8k.

Replies From View

People are going to be loudly grazing around you and answering their phones, so any film you see in a cinema must be one where you don't need to concentrate or value the sound mix or anything like that.

I think the ideal cinema film is the kind where you are meant to sit in a state of absolute fury the entire time.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Replies From View on April 03, 2018, 01:25:04 PM
People are going to be loudly grazing around you and answering their phones, so any film you see in a cinema must be one where you don't need to concentrate or value the sound mix or anything like that.

I think the ideal cinema film is the kind where you are meant to sit in a state of absolute fury the entire time.

Some of my favourite experiences have been late night screenings in foreign near empty cinemas. INLAND EMPIRE dubbed in Flemish with French subtitles anyone?

Icehaven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 03, 2018, 01:58:10 PM
Some of my favourite experiences have been late night screenings in foreign near empty cinemas. INLAND EMPIRE dubbed in Flemish with French subtitles anyone?

The only time I've enjoyed the cinema for about the last 15 years is when I've either been not that bothered about the film, and/or it's been virtually empty. While I agree with the basic premise of the thread, there's only so many times you can pay nearly £20 to see something like say Bladerunner 2049 in 3D Imax only to have every quieter part (of which, over the course of it's sizeable running time, there are many) accompanied by sound of wheezing mouth breathing from the bloke sitting behind you. I like films far too much to have them spoiled by watching them at the cinema.

Wet Blanket

I'm very much the opposite in that I go to the cinema at least once a week but almost never watch films on TV, let alone a laptop or phone. The only time I ever find myself amongst restless audiences is for blockbuster or superheroey films, which I'm not that keen on, but for the most part I think being amongst people adds to the experience.

I find a packed cinema will tend to be better behaved than a half-empty one, and multiplex audiences less likely to be annoying than arthouse ones.

Anything by Kubrick, Lynch or Hitchcock look fantastic on the big screen. The sound design of David Lynch films in particular is amazing. I wish there were more rep cinemas, or a better tradition of showing classics. The BFI cinema on the southbank is always place of pilgrimage on the rare occasion I'm in London.

Blumf

Quote from: icehaven on April 03, 2018, 02:22:27 PM
...only to have every quieter part (of which, over the course of it's sizeable running time, there are many) accompanied by sound of wheezing mouth breathing from the bloke sitting behind you.

Not a true cinema experience without the sound of Pleb Dazzle 4 : The Thumpening leaking in from the neighbouring screens.

And the sound system being over driven to the point of clipping, so you can't even enjoy the loud parts.

And that large stain on the screen where some idiot chucked their coke several years ago.

And some cretin screaming as they die after getting trapped under their seat.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blinder Data on April 03, 2018, 12:11:12 PM
For me, one should always try to watch horror films in the cinema or at least large groups. You need the screams of fellow viewers to add to the atmosphere
Nah. There's safety in numbers. Horror is best appreciated at home, just you and the monster/serial killer etc.

Bogbrainedmurphy

holyzombiejesus

I saw the third Alien film at the cinema. Unfortunately, I took 2 tabs of acid before going in. That was fun!

phantom_power

I am quite sensitive to people talking in cinemas and possibly enjoying my experience, especially for films I have been looking forward to. I can honestly say that only twice in about the last decade has anything happened to get my sensors up; one was someone talking a bit through the film but not enough to really distract too much and another was someone falling asleep and snoring through the last 20 minutes of a film. Either I have been very lucky or this sort of thing doesn't happen as much as people say

I watched Avatar in 3D at the cinema and found it pretty captivating, if overlong. Watching it on telly I have struggled to get past half an hour.

bgmnts

I'd love to see Fury Road in the cinema, would be exhausting but well worth it.

I'd probably say Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. I remember seeing Gandalf fall and fight with the Balrog in the cinema and it blew my little baby brain.

Thats if you ban cunts from the cinema.

Small Man Big Horse

Irreversible - As I'm all but certain I'd have turned it off during the rape scene if I was watching at home, especially if friends had been over. As it is it's the one and only time I've had to stare at the floor and try and block out what was going on as it was so horrific. I'm glad I stayed though as afterwards it becomes a bizarre celebration of life and love.

Paddington 2 - Except I didn't see it at the cinema, as Mrs SMBH said it's not acceptable for a white single male in his mid forties to see a kids film like that on his own. Fucking wish I'd ignored her though as visually it's a beautifully designed and shockingly enchanting piece of loveliness.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 03, 2018, 03:41:54 PM
I saw the third Alien film at the cinema. Unfortunately, I took 2 tabs of acid before going in. That was fun!

An usher smirked at how stoned I was when I went to a screening of Highlander.

I'd love to see a good print of Paris, Texas in a cinema. Or Until the End of the World for that matter.

Large Noise

Brick (2005) is one thing in the cinema on a friday night, and quite another on your tv on a Saturday afternoon.

Dunkirk is another that I imagine would've lost a lot of its power outwith the cinema.

Z

I hardly ever encounter cunts in cinemas, although I pretty much exclusively go to less mainstream stuff on its last week in the cinema.

I imagine the worst possible things to see in the cinema are films by those big name types who teeter on mass appeal and will attract a lot of people on opening weekend on the basis of their name with no thought about the actual new release. Phantom Thread probably had some awful audiences on opening night everywhere.

Sebastian Cobb

It is somehow more annoying when a middle-aged well-to-do couple shuffle in just as the BBFC certification is screening, plop down in front of you and spend 5 minutes animatedly taking off their jackets and unpacking all their shit, then start rustling sweet rappers than when some yoots whisper to each-other or tit about with their phones. I guess it's because the couple should know better.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd quite like to see Stop Making Sense in a cinema one day.

Dex Sawash

Bhazor

I remember there was a cinema in Sheffield where you could essentially rent it out for birthdays and have a private showing of your favorite movie. One of my biggest regrets when I moved away from Sheffield was I never got to take up that offer and watch Laurence of Arabia on the big screen. Not my favourite film but I've always thought it would look spectacular on the big screen.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 03, 2018, 10:38:10 PM
I'd quite like to see Stop Making Sense in a cinema one day.

There was a Glasgow screening recently.