Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:58:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Odd members out

Started by BlodwynPig, April 04, 2018, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Banlon

Kix seemed to be the odd man out in Madness. (person at rear of human bummingpede)

Brundle-Fly

Lee Thompson always wanted to be a bit different from the rest of Madness. He was often unshaven, hair was too long and he was rarely in a suit for the band's early sharp style era and then when they later started to soften their image, growing their hair, beards etc, Kix got himself a number one crew cut.

This classic album cover particularly wound up the conservative sixteen year old me at the time. He is virtually unrecognisable here and I thought he looked like some twerp from The Rocky Horror Show. In fact, everybody says how quintessentially English Madness were but fashionwise really they were enthralled with late fifties/ early sixties Americana.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 05, 2018, 01:13:09 PM
The best of the lot.

Yeah. I've often wondered what would've happened if they'd stayed together without Lou Reed. Cunt held them back for too long!

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 05, 2018, 05:31:42 PM
Lee Thompson always wanted to be a bit different from the rest of Madness. He was often unshaven, hair was too long and he was rarely in a suit for the band's early sharp style era and then when they later started to soften their image, growing their hair, beards etc, Kix got himself a number one crew cut.

This classic album cover particularly wound up the conservative sixteen year old me at the time. He is virtually unrecognisable here and I thought he looked like some twerp from The Rocky Horror Show. In fact, everybody says how quintessentially English Madness were but fashionwise really they were enthralled with late fifties/ early sixties Americana.

He can fuck off with those hearing aid adverts for Boots as well the balloon headed gumph.

purlieu

Back in the day when The Damned looked like a bunch of louts with a singing vampire.

Kevin Allen, one of the original members of ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead used to annoy me slightly when they played live, all of the rest of the band would be flying around full of energy absolutely going for it and he would stand rock still and expressionless playing his guitar as if moving an inch with his feet would ruin his concentration. He stood out a mile and not for any good reason.

Steven

That black feller what were in The Jimi Hendrix Experience, him.

Mr Banlon

Saxa from The Beat was 30 years older than the rest of the band, and by far the coolest member of the band too.

Bros, there. Plus someone on the left who I assume won a competition in Smash Hits to meet them.

DrGreggles

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 05, 2018, 08:58:47 PM

Bros, there. Plus someone on the left who I assume won a competition in Smash Hits to meet them.

Didn't 'Ken' go on to be a record company bigwig?

shiftwork2

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 05, 2018, 10:11:42 PM
Didn't 'Ken' go on to be a record company bigwig?

This is tremendously heartening, I had no idea he was Ken anywhere other than at my school.  A national Ken.

studpuppet

Forget about Charlie Watts, these guys really had drummer issues.

buzby

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 05, 2018, 10:20:46 PM
This is tremendously heartening, I had no idea he was Ken anywhere other than at my school.  A national Ken.
Smash Hits started the 'Ken' nickname for Craig Logan.
He went into songwriting and producing after he left (after suffering ME) He then joined EMI in 1995 as VP of International A&R, leaving after 3 years to become a partner in Roger Davies' artist management company RDWM (where he signed Pink). After 7 years he joined Sony as MD of the RCA label, before leaving in 2010 to set up his own management company LME.

Jockice

Quote from: buzby on April 05, 2018, 10:39:58 PM
Smash Hits started the 'Ken' nickname for Craig Logan.
He went into songwriting and producing after he left (after suffering ME) He then joined EMI in 1995 as VP of International A&R, leaving after 3 years to become a partner in Roger Davies' artist management company RDWM (where he signed Pink). After 7 years he joined Sony as MD of the RCA label, before leaving in 2010 to set up his own management company LME.

I thought it was Viz.

DrGreggles

I thought it was Melody Maker!

Nobody Soup

always liked the story about them re-locating to London. Mick Harvey got a job and a flat, the others got addicted to skag and had to move into his spare bedroom a week later.

buzby

Quote from: Jockice on April 05, 2018, 10:43:14 PM
I thought it was Viz.
Sylvia Patterson claims it originated at ver Hits in her autobiog I'm Not With The Band, but as far as printed evidence goes it looks like you are right.. The first use of 'Ken' in Viz seems to the the cut out and keep Bros mug in Issue #31 (August/September 88),

That predates it's first use I can find in Smash Hits (around November 88, when the rumours started that he was leaving). I never read Viz though, and my sister was still getting Smash Hits then, which is where I saw it

Nobody Soup

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on April 05, 2018, 12:33:48 PM

But aren't we all, in some way, the odd one out, yeah?

Think about it.

but robert quine was by far the most talented one.

Crabwalk

Rob Coombes became an official member of Supergrass in 2002, but looks like a weird hanger-on in every shot of the band. Everyone knows Supergrass is a three piece, mate.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: thenoise on April 04, 2018, 02:03:17 PM

Harry knew this mistake would likely be his last, he'd brought a fiddle to an accordion fight.

DrGreggles

Quote from: buzby on April 06, 2018, 12:28:29 AM
Sylvia Patterson claims it originated at ver Hits in her autobiog I'm Not With The Band, but as far as printed evidence goes it looks like you are right.. The first use of 'Ken' in Viz seems to the the cut out and keep Bros mug in Issue #31 (August/September 88),

That predates it's first use I can find in Smash Hits (around November 88, when the rumours started that he was leaving). I never read Viz though, and my sister was still getting Smash Hits then, which is where I saw it

Viz sounds about right. I wouldn't have been reading Smash Hits, so it can't have been from there that I got it.
What was the 'Ken' thing in Melody Maker then? Was that just what they called any insignificant members of a band? (e.g. Morrissey, Marr, Ken and Ken)

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Didn't The Fall hire a guy with a ponytail one time? Serious weird one that

Rolf Lundgren

Wow, never knew Keith Harris was once in The Who.

jobotic

gilbertharding

Are Ash the only band in history where all four of them could be the Odd One Out?

This is what imagine a CAB meet looks like...

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 12, 2018, 01:24:09 PM
Are Ash the only band in history where all four of them could be the Odd One Out?

See someone wondered away from a 90s ska punk band gig

Viz Top Tips: Got a vertically-challenged new singer who doesn't "measure up" to the last guy? Just make him stand closest to the camera.