Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Legion Series 2

Started by brat-sampson, April 04, 2018, 09:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 26, 2018, 12:33:24 PM
That's how I feel about it too. I've a minor complaint with the most recent episode as it felt a little too slow (and the Jon Hamm narrated bit towards the end was weak) but I've enjoyed the rest of the season an enormous amount and am completely seduced by it's visual style.

Yeah the last episode was the weakest so far and made even less sense than usual but I am still enjoying just watching it

olliebean

Rather more style than substance at the moment, I feel, but my, what style.

sweeper

What has happened to this show? The first series was one of the freshest things I've ever seen - great characters, story and style.

I've just finished ep. 6 of the latest run and it's genuinely one of the worst things I've ever watched. Zero plot and character development, appalling dialogue, LOL RANDOM visuals (vocoder women with moustaches? A cow in a room? A SINGING FUCKING MOUSE?). Literally nothing has happened that could not have been crammed into one episode, and would have been done so previously. Instead, we're treated to endless shots of Jermaine Clement walking down a corridor in slo-mo while someone flicks the lights on and off. Then an ad break. Then some wacky prog rock album sleeve come to life. The someone pontificating on the nature of reality.

Apart from the episode when David was running around Syd's mind igloo, this has been horribly disappointing.

Alberon

I'm still a few episodes behind as I haven't had a chance to catch up. Hopefully it can pull out of the dip it's in.

It will have longer to do so as it has been renewed for a third season. I haven't seen anything about how many episodes it will have though.

Small Man Big Horse

I enjoyed the most recent two, it's still a slow beast but at least the supporting cast have had more to do recently, and I've especially enjoyed the antics of the Loudermilks. Plus no Jon Hamm, which pleases as the last couple of narrated bits have dragged and interrupted the momentum of the episode.

Overall I think whether the season is a success or not is going to rely on next week's finale. I really hope it delivers, and that this is the last we see of the Shadow King, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Chairman Yang

Turns out it was about rape.

Small Man Big Horse

Hmmmm. And hmmmmm again. There were a lot of elements I liked in it, the opening was especially amazing, and I have no issue with David breaking bad (it's been hinted at all season) but the rape side of things is pretty fucked up and I'm not sure how much I like the idea of it being linked to mental illness.

Chairman Yang

I quite liked the idea that Nice David is just a persona he cooked up to justify one long manic episode, that's believable - it just doesn't square with anything else in the show.

Stoning a guy to death for killing your sister seems like a pretty justifiable heel turn.

phantom_power

I thought that was a great finale and am interested to see how it deals with these issues next season. It turns out David is the ultimate Nice Guy, blaming everyone else for his bad behaviour and thinking he can do what he wants because he is "good"

Given that, I am not sure him wiping Syd's memory and then having sex with her is analogous to drugging and raping someone. It seems more analogous with someone lying to a partner to avoid getting caught out for something and then having sex with them before they find out whatever it is you have done. I would have to think about it a bit more though to work out how I feel about all that. It was certainly a breaking bad point though and shows how far he will go to be the "good guy"

It all seemed like a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. In trying to stop him becoming this villain they drove him to it, though how much that was just dormant inside him we don't know.

Certainly a very thought-provoking finale and several levels above all the other Marvel shows

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on June 14, 2018, 11:16:41 PM
Given that, I am not sure him wiping Syd's memory and then having sex with her is analogous to drugging and raping someone. It seems more analogous with someone lying to a partner to avoid getting caught out for something and then having sex with them before they find out whatever it is you have done. I would have to think about it a bit more though to work out how I feel about all that. It was certainly a breaking bad point though and shows how far he will go to be the "good guy"

Hawley has done quite a lot of interviews over the last couple of days where he's stressed that it's rape, and Syd could not consent to sex after what David had done to her mind.

phantom_power

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 14, 2018, 11:36:59 PM
Hawley has done quite a lot of interviews over the last couple of days where he's stressed that it's rape, and Syd could not consent to sex after what David had done to her mind.

Fair enough then. It isn't entirely clear from the episode exactly what he did do to her mind. It will be interesting to see how they bring David back from that next season then, if indeed they do and he doesn't just become the villain now

A good interview here:
http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/legion-season-2-finale-noah-hawley-interview.html