Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Final Fantasy book penned by Charlie Higson

Started by Ignatius_S, April 04, 2018, 01:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Ha!

I got all excited as I misread "Final" for "Fighting", then disappointed as I corrected myself, then pleased again when I clicked through to the link.

I opened up and skimmed a "Fighting Fantasy Only About Office Temps And Set In The Now" laff-riot in a charity shop the other day. Didn't buy it.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on April 04, 2018, 02:24:34 PM
Ha!

I got all excited as I misread "Final" for "Fighting", then disappointed as I corrected myself, then pleased again when I clicked through to the link.

I opened up and skimmed a "Fighting Fantasy Only About Office Temps And Set In The Now" laff-riot in a charity shop the other day. Didn't buy it.

Sorry about that - a careless error!

Pranet

Just been reading that article. The publishers must think that there is money in it to get him involved. To judge by the prices some people are trying to sell the original books for on ebay they might be right. I suppose the people who were in to them originally have reached that age.

BlodwynPig

spamwangler

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 04, 2018, 10:44:34 PM
I used to read them linearly.

like traveling diagonally through a multi verse of possible worlds

thraxx

I found an old copy of Deathtrap Dungeon that I am reading with my 6 year old daughter. 

She went totally mental when the leprechauns tricked her and stole all her belongings and cried when she was forced to kill Throm the barbarian, who she had teamed up with. 

garbed_attic

I didn't cheat as a child. Literally re-started reading it through from the introduction again and again.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Pranet on April 04, 2018, 04:10:13 PM
Just been reading that article. The publishers must think that there is money in it to get him involved. To judge by the prices some people are trying to sell the original books for on ebay they might be right. I suppose the people who were in to them originally have reached that age.

I always find them in charity shops! I have a bit of a collection.

Bhazor

Never had fighting fantasy books as a nipper but I did have a couple Nintendo Adventure Books. Which had some really strangely bleak deaths in it.  Luigi flying into space never to be seen again, Mario boiling to death in soup, Mario crushed under a falling wall, I think even Peach and Zelda got killed off a couple times.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bhazor on April 05, 2018, 01:47:51 AM
Never had fighting fantasy books as a nipper but I did have a couple Nintendo Adventure Books. Which had some really strangely bleak deaths in it.  Luigi flying into space never to be seen again, Mario boiling to death in soup, Mario crushed under a falling wall, I think even Peach and Zelda got killed off a couple times.

Mario got killed by a dinosaur wearing a tie in the one I had.

It's name is the only thing I remember about that book, after all these years.

A Tierackasaurus.

phantom_power

Quote from: gout_pony on April 05, 2018, 12:11:28 AM
I always find them in charity shops! I have a bit of a collection.

I never see them in charity shops and am always on the lookout as I loved them as a kid and want to show them to my son to see if he is arsed with them

Pranet

I take the middle ground, in that I rarely see them in charity shops.

phantom_power

Quote from: Pranet on April 05, 2018, 11:59:48 AM
I take the middle ground, in that I rarely see them in charity shops.

Fucking centrists

Pranet

Of course, all this attention around the new books will push the price of the old ones up even more. Bah.

Gulftastic

Quote from: thraxx on April 04, 2018, 10:49:34 PM
I found an old copy of Deathtrap Dungeon that I am reading with my 6 year old daughter. 

My first FF book back in the day.

Shaky

My favourite was always the highly atmospheric "Beneath Nightmare Castle", with it's bursts of body horror and Lovecraftian sliminess.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Shaky on April 06, 2018, 10:50:06 AM
My favourite was always the highly atmospheric "Beneath Nightmare Castle", with it's bursts of body horror and Lovecraftian sliminess.

And sexy lady on the cover I never managed to save! ;_;

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Shaky on April 06, 2018, 10:50:06 AM

Which apparently had an illustration that was removed before publication for fear of frightening the kiddies/horses/nostalgic balding thirtysomethings:

Bazooka

Massively misleading thread title, my brain didn't understand.

Shaky

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on April 06, 2018, 01:36:49 PM
Which apparently had an illustration that was removed before publication for fear of frightening the kiddies/horses/nostalgic balding thirtysomethings:

I'm not balding but I am a bit childish and equine.

Quote from: gout_pony on April 06, 2018, 01:10:46 PM

When you encounter her in the book she's crying, if you like that sort thing.

Phil_A

Quote from: gout_pony on April 06, 2018, 01:10:46 PM

Ha. I actually went through the whole thing trying to find out if there was a way to go back and help her(there wasn't).

That was the one where the baddie was a huge grotesque pile of walking flesh and limbs, wasn't it. This charming geezer.

Also written by the bloke who went on to edit the Dr Who "New Adventures" series.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Phil_A on April 07, 2018, 08:39:44 AM
Ha. I actually went through the whole thing trying to find out if there was a way to go back and help her(there wasn't).

haha yes same here!

Glebe

FF had an enormous impact on me as a child, the first book I bought was City of Thieves, and I was hugely excited that you could 'choose your own adventure', and was gobsmacked by Ian McCaig's superb illustrations.

thraxx

Creature of Havoc is the one that's a right head fuck.  You play a creature, that at the beginning of the book, has no understanding of it's environment or humans, so trying to make sense of what you are reading, which is what the beast's senses are picking up is baffling.  It's also very easy to die.  Interesting concept though.

Also Sword of the Samurai had these undead creatures called the Rokuro Kubi, humans whose heads would detach and chase you when the sun went down.  Scared the shit out of me for weeks those cunts did.

mjwilson

I liked Sorcery, which was a 4-part linked story - if you did really well in part 3 then things got a bit easer in part 4.

pigamus

I won City of Thieves as a prize at my junior school. Can't remember what for.

My first was The Legend of Zagor. There were four different "playable characters". I collected about nine of the books, with Crypt of the Sorcerer my favourite. Of course I cheated outright in all the battles, but some adventures were impossible if you don't happen upon a vital clue or password, to be used later. I will never forget the phrase "To go beyond a granite door, press the numbers 184".

Shaky

Some of the later ones (from the 40th onwards or so, I think) did relatively complex things with the standard gaming system - I remember one (Magehunter) where you could swap bodies with other characters, slightly altering the paragraphs you'd jump to depending on who you where at the time. Also have a soft spot for early books "House of Hell" and "Talisman of Death", the latter featuring some particularly gruesome endings and a massive fuck off dragon at the top of a mountain.

I was always pretty strict about following the page options but is there anyone on the planet who legitimately fought every single enemy to the death? Combat got boring quickly but Christ, how I loved these books.