Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:33:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cunk on Britain [split topic]

Started by sevendaughters, April 04, 2018, 06:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Genuinely surprised that no one started a new thread for the new series last night. It was moderately amusing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 04, 2018, 06:13:40 PM
Genuinely surprised that no one started a new thread for the new series last night. It was moderately amusing.

I thought it started poorly but improved a fair bit as it went along, and as I'm a sucker for idiocy I enjoyed seeing the Brush Strokes credits. Not sure if they can stretch the joke over five more episodes, but I'll be there for the journey.

rasta-spouse

Not enough in it to justify 30mins of someone playing dumb. Think it should end in a Cunk Rap.

Twit 2

Very hit and miss, mostly miss. 'Built by one man - Norman Architecture' made me chuckle.

Jockice

United Britain Of Great Kingdom! Fucking hilarious.

BeardFaceMan

I hate it when people play dumb characters and talk to people who are not in on the joke, you rarely get anything funny from the real person, its just awkwardness and haha they asked a silly question the person has no answer for. Its just one joke that wears thin very quickly, the parts of past shows where Cunk interviews people were generally awful but I did like the rest of the shows, its just I find these sorts of characters work best in isolation or in their own world, not interacting with real people. Does she do a lot of interviewing in these new shows?

Twit 2

Even more inane is when the experts are in on the joke, as is the case with this.

JoeyBananaduck

I'm amazed this got a series.

She does documentaries, but she's thick and gets things wrong. Right. Ok, what else?

That's it.

GOLD!

phantom_power

He is a grumpy old man who irritates the people around him

It is like a news program but everything is exaggerated and absurd

They are horrible people, who own a bar

That's it.

GOLD!

Barry Admin

Yeah really. Make anything sound shit by describing it in a sarky, desultory manner, well done.

Best new comedy character since Alan Partridge. Better than him, in fact. Can't wait to see this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Not sure this will stretch to a whole episode length but then Partridge started as just snippets. Is the character expanded on in any way? That's the question. The question I'm asking. Answer the question.

Barry Admin

She was on 6 Music, and the clip they played was astonishingly good. Just joke after joke after joke in a sentence or two.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 05, 2018, 08:19:00 AM
She was on 6 Music, and the clip they played was astonishingly good. Just joke after joke after joke in a sentence or two.

Aye, clip.

gilbertharding

It was good in parts. I mainly enjoyed it.

"United Britain of Great Kingdom" should never have left the desk of whoever wrote it, though - never mind made the trailer.

It all made me think of the seminal 1066 And All That. Not sure what Cunk will bring to the genre of comedy based on half-remembered O Level History .

gilbertharding

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 05, 2018, 08:13:12 AM
Yeah really. Make anything sound shit by describing it in a sarky, desultory manner, well done.

Best new comedy character since Alan Partridge. Better than him, in fact. Can't wait to see this.

I'd like to see more of the home life of Philomena Cunk. How did she become the boggle-eyed colossus who strides confidently across our screens? What does she do when she's not striding confidently?

rimbaud

Anyone who didn't laugh at the special where she asks the expert if various words were invented by Shakespeare has no business watching comedy.

Even the stony faced missus laughed out loud at ROFLcopter.

Jockice

Quote from: rimbaud on April 05, 2018, 10:37:23 PM
Anyone who didn't laugh at the special wherever she asks the expert if various words were invented by Shakespeare has no business watching comedy.

Even the stony faced missus laughed out loud at ROFLcopter.

Well I didn't laugh. Mind you, I didn't watch it.

olliebean

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 05, 2018, 09:07:46 AMIt all made me think of the seminal 1066 And All That.

This is spot on, I had the same thought whilst watching it.

Captain Z

Quote from: phantom_power on April 05, 2018, 08:10:30 AM

That's harsh, there's much more to Fawlty Towers than this.

That's harsh, there's much more to Bo Selecta than this.

That's harsh, there's much more to Eastenders than this.

selectivememory

Thanks for the heads up. Will watch this later. I like Cunk, although I do wonder far they can stretch the character. But I was listening to Diane Morgan's appearance on Adam Buxton's podcast the other day and was thinking that she is definitely someone who should be on TV more, and it really is her performance above everything else that makes Cunk work.

JoeyBananaduck

That's it.

GOLD!

You'd have a good point if most of the things you refer to above didn't have layers and nuance that went some considerable way to explaining why the characters are the way they are. If you'd like to point me to where this is in Cunk's ouvre I'll be happy to watch.

Jockice

Philomena Cunk? Philomena Junk more like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alberon

Watched the opening bit about the dinosaurs and lost the will to live there and then. I'll have another stab at it later, but I get the feeling the character and format is already running on empty.

Artemis

One joke, stretched over half an hour. It was chortle-worthy at times but no more than that, really. Not sure why anyone would think she's one of the greatest comedy characters - she doesn't have the range!

It's concerning when somebody you're interviewing is funnier than you ("it depends on your major concerns").

Autopsy Turvey

She's barely a character really, just a voice and a face for some thicky quips that must be great fun to write, and not terribly difficult. I'm a sucker for it, though, like I always love the bits where Hancock is pretending to know what he's talking about: "As the immortal Mr Micawber said to Oliver Copperfield in Bleak House by Monica Dickens," or "As Shakespeare said in 'The Merchant Of Vienna', when Portion accused Shylock Holmes of pinching a pound of meat".

Ornlu

I was greatly tickled by the line "the Big Bang created the universe in one mad explosion."

wobinidan

You're all selling this short. Possibly because of the awkward interviews, but that's the same awkward chemistry you get on Nathan For You and people like that.

Seeing Charlie Brooker on the credits cheered me up because a lot of the lines in this remind me of when he used to be funny and not shit.

"Once it had stopped screaming, Wallace's head was placed on a pike on London Bridge, like a sort of gory Scottish Pez."

idunnosomename

I don't like Cunk or Shitpeas. Poor characters. I don't  hate Diane Morgan herself, she's a good performer, but the character is terrible. Inconsistent, unbelievable, and ultimately, to me, unfunny.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

There's not much to get. Cunk is a one-dimensional character, a shallow vessel for some occasionally quite funny gags. I enjoy her in small doses, but the joke wears very thin over half an hour.

I hope Diane Morgan creates some great comedy one day, she's such a naturally funny person. She's better than Cunk.