Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sopranos Podcasts

Started by paruses, April 05, 2018, 02:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Having begun a rewatch of the whole series and given my obsessive nature, I now would like to hear people talking about The Sopranos while I am unable to watch it.

I've found "Cut to Black" which I started only an hour ago. I quite like it - the presenters reason things well and there's some nice discussion about where the whole thing sits in its own time and also almost 20 years later. That's the kind of thing that I'm looking for rather than ones where they just recap the episodes.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Custard

Not a podcast, but I highly recommend reading The Chase Lounge, a Sopranos forum - http://thechaselounge.net

Great threads on all the symbolism, the dreams, etc

EOLAN

Oh now I feel like starting another topic about good podcasts for other quality TV Shows. Much in the same vein as the original poster.

For Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul you got the podcasts with Vince Gilligan and the gang; chaired by the editor.
I also found "Diane" to be quite entertaining on Twin Peaks.

Struggled to find any decent "The Wire" podcasts. Seemed to be one that got taken down. 

paruses

Quote from: EOLAN on April 05, 2018, 05:02:32 PM
Oh now I feel like starting another topic about good podcasts for other quality TV Shows. Much in the same vein as the original poster.

That's a much better idea than mine - do that. Or just use this thread - I don't know if I can edit thread titles - but it would probably get some good across the board suggestions - all those obscure Homicide: Life on the Street, and Catweazle podcasts I can't find....

Pebble_Mill

Can't vouch for it myself but a friend recommended 'No Fuckin Ziti' - https://t.co/8UnfSlDpWb

Thing is, if you watch 2 ep.'s of Sopranos one night you've got two hours of podcast to catch up on the following day. You'd have to be very disciplined and restrict yourself to one episode a week I reckon.

paruses

Yes I had considered that - as I'm watching at quite a pace I might target certain episodes.

Cut to Black started well but has lapsed a little into episode recaps. Will give the Ziti one a go and see how I get on with that. Thanks.

paruses

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 05, 2018, 04:09:29 PM
Not a podcast, but I highly recommend reading The Chase Lounge, a Sopranos forum - http://thechaselounge.net

Great threads on all the symbolism, the dreams, etc

Thanks - blocked at work which is probably for the best but enjoying it today.

Quote from: Pebble_Mill on April 06, 2018, 08:17:27 AM
Can't vouch for it myself but a friend recommended 'No Fuckin Ziti' - https://t.co/8UnfSlDpWb

Downloaded a handful of these this morning and have been listening while I stomped around town today. It's very good. The hosts are personable and it doesn't fall into a pure episode recap. They also do excellent Livia impressions which had me laughing like an idiot at various points ("oh! the mushrooms. They're on foyy-ah!"). I think I will practice this while I am in the car alone. It will be useful to use her kill-me-now pleas at home when things don't go my way.

Cut to Black is OK but it has lapsed into  a bit if a scene-by-scene pattern and it doesn't flow quite so well. Not bad though.

Travis B

Struggled to find any decent "The Wire" podcasts. Seemed to be one that got taken down.

I found 'The Wire Stripped' to be a pretty good podcast. They've just finished the first series. Interviews with the cast and some others including a former heroin addict from Baltimore.

Z

Nothing to do with the Sopranos, but the success of the West Wing weekly fucking baffles me. I'm genuinely considering standing outside the upcoming sold out live show in London just to see the type of people going in.

Travis B

Quote from: Z on April 07, 2018, 06:18:21 PM
Nothing to do with the Sopranos, but the success of the West Wing weekly fucking baffles me. I'm genuinely considering standing outside the upcoming sold out live show in London just to see the type of people going in.

With you on this. I really liked The West Wing and was looking forward to this. I was a bit pissed off that Joshua Malina was a co presenter as I thought he was shit on the programme. What a surprise, he was shit on the podcast. So smug, I had to stop after a few. A shame as the other bloke was ok.

colacentral

Not a podcast, but I think it's worth linking to http://sopranosautopsy.com for anyone interested in a really well researched, informative analysis of each episode. It's the best example of this sort of thing I've seen.

selectivememory

Been rewatching this recently, for the first time in about five years. I'd forgotten just how good it is. I've always known it's great, but I wondered if it would seemed dated after all the great TV it inspired and influenced. But no, you could broadcast it today exactly as it is and it would be the best thing on TV by miles. There's just so many layers to it as well. I'm not sure there's another show in the last 20 years or so that would stand up as well as The Sopranos to a very close analysis. I'd forgotten just how funny it is as well. Bigger laugh rate than a lot of good comedy shows.

Just finished Season 3 and the final few episodes are just hit after hit after hit. All these fascinating plot strands coming to a climax (Carmela finding a way to justify living off Tony's criminality, AJ slowly going off the rails, the whole Jackie Jr. strand, Tony and Gloria, Meadow becoming more cynical about her family, Ralphie's rise and Paulie's alienation from Tony, and also Junior and Baccala just generally being great and loveable every time they're on screen), and in the middle of it all you've got the stand-alone brilliance and absurdity of Paulie and Christopher lost in the Pine Barrens.

Quote from: colacentral on April 08, 2018, 01:23:26 PM
Not a podcast, but I think it's worth linking to http://sopranosautopsy.com for anyone interested in a really well researched, informative analysis of each episode. It's the best example of this sort of thing I've seen.

Oh, fuck. I'm going to be spending hours reading this site.

paruses

I am slightly behind you in my rewatch. Have been meaning to do it for years and then I found the whole series for 20 odd euros in Crex so I finally have a chance.

Just got past the Pine Barrens episode ("He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Used to be an interior decorator" - should be a shit hack line but just gets better as Christopher takes it on board).

I mentioned somewhere else that a lot happens a lot quicker and sooner than I had thought - the death of Jackie Aprile, like the life and death of the bent cop in S1, Big Pussy being outed and offed, the mad Mercedes woman as well as the introduction and rise of Ralphie (who I always remember as being called Ritchie Aprile and had completely forgotten that storyline).

There's loads of stuff I would want to talk about but not sure if a thread would have legs and resurrecting one from god knows when wouldn't really be right.

Anyway, I fell asleep watching it last night so need to rewatch this one - Jacki jnr is about to be offed I think.

In No Fuckin' Zitti they talk about how the first few episodes are really 90s - a lot of red in the Satriale scenes - I know their point but didn't get the technical jargon, - and various camera angles being dated and then a few eps into S1 it would fly  today.

God it's a great show.

Z

Quote from: Travis B on April 08, 2018, 12:06:26 PM
With you on this. I really liked The West Wing and was looking forward to this. I was a bit pissed off that Joshua Malina was a co presenter as I thought he was shit on the programme. What a surprise, he was shit on the podcast. So smug, I had to stop after a few. A shame as the other bloke was ok.
Oh, I hate the show overall so I haven't even listened to it. But it containing one of the actual actors on the show made it seem (1) way too close to the source material to be of any merit and (2) just really fucking grim that the actor is resorting to that to make a living.

Who even cares what Malina has to say about the show? It'd be like a sopranos podcast with... Meadow or some shit.

paruses

Quote from: Z on April 08, 2018, 09:29:04 PM
[..]  It'd be like a sopranos podcast with... Meadow or some shit.

I am furious just thinking about that.

Custard

Best show evarrrrr, for me. I do a rewatch every 2 or 3 years, and I end up loving it more each time. Nothing else really comes close. Twin Peaks, maybe. The Twilight Zone. That's yer lot

I love how each series gets subtly darker (in tone AND lighting!), til the final episodes are the bleakest things I've ever seen. Tony's last scene with Junior. Oof

jake thunder

Quote from: paruses on April 08, 2018, 09:32:03 PM
I am furious just thinking about that.

Furio doing a podcast??? Yes please. "You gotta bee ona you hat". Subscribed!

Custard

Apparently the bloke who played Furio was such a knob, the entire cast and crew couldn't wait to be rid of him. Hence the poorly constructed storyline of out-of-nowhere love for Carmella, and his strangely piss-weak exit

Still, least it was better than blokey who carked it whilst having a dump

dex

That's a shame. Furio was one of my favourite characters. I still watch his "first job" on Youtube.

paruses

I bet the sellers of the painting he bought were furio(us) - and thought he was a knob:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Castelluccio

QuoteCastelluccio discovered a painting by Italian Baroque painter Guercino at a Frankfurt gallery and subsequently purchased it at auction after it had been incorrectly identified as an 18th-century painting. The painting was purchased for €49,000 and was estimated at $10M.[7] The total cost of the painting including restoration and shipping plus extra costs came to $140,000.