Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,310
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Laptop advice for a very stupid man.

Started by iamcoop, April 05, 2018, 03:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Hi all, I need some help purchasing a new laptop.

I've been out of the loop for a while and have never been that tech minded so I was looking for a bit of advice as there seems to be so much choice these days I don't really know where to start..

I'm looking to buy a new laptop and I have a budget that could stretch to £500 at a push. I don't want to play games on it, or use any seriously hardcore programmes, I essentially want to use it for all my millennial needs, ie watching stuff, updating my music, the occasional spreadsheet etc. I'd like a fairly large hard drive (fnar fnar) but I'd rather not compromise on processor speed.

I'm guessing 8gb ram is the way to go these days? I'm also not fussed about a huge screen, I'd like it to be portable to an extent..

Sorry for all the questions and my general ignorance, I've been looking for a while now and every time I find something I think I'll go for they'll be loads of rubbish reviews to put me off or that general feeling of "I'm sure if I look a bit more I'll find something cheaper or better.."

Thanks in advance.

Malcy

Quote from: iamcoop on April 05, 2018, 03:06:24 PM
Hi all, I need some help purchasing a new laptop.

I've been out of the loop for a while and have never been that tech minded so I was looking for a bit of advice as there seems to be so much choice these days I don't really know where to start..

I'm looking to buy a new laptop and I have a budget that could stretch to £500 at a push. I don't want to play games on it, or use any seriously hardcore programmes, I essentially want to use it for all my millennial needs, ie watching stuff, updating my music, the occasional spreadsheet etc. I'd like a fairly large hard drive (fnar fnar) but I'd rather not compromise on processor speed.

I'm guessing 8gb ram is the way to go these days? I'm also not fussed about a huge screen, I'd like it to be portable to an extent..

Sorry for all the questions and my general ignorance, I've been looking for a while now and every time I find something I think I'll go for they'll be loads of rubbish reviews to put me off or that general feeling of "I'm sure if I look a bit more I'll find something cheaper or better.."

Thanks in advance.

I don't know too much about these things but for what you need i reckon you would only need to spend around half of that £500 budget. Reading reviews on things usually sets me back a few days before just buying it anyway. It's unusual for everyone to have something positive to say about tech products so i usually look and see if there are any complaints that correspond to what i want the thing for.

Lord Mandrake

One thing to consider when purchasing a modern portable computer processor is checking if it has 'internet' technology equipped inside it. Also whether it has enough microchips, you need at least 12 to record files.