Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,313
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:10:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Just deleted Facebook

Started by Ferris, April 06, 2018, 03:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 20, 2018, 12:26:12 PM
I forgot: I also got banned from posting to Gustav's Dachshund World And Friends after I posted a link to a cute little sausage dog design on Etsy. I don't know why for sure, but I think it may have been because the owner had their own online shop and objected to anyone linking to a competitor, even if they were just posting a daft picture of a cute dog. Fucking thanks, you cheery fuckers.

Gustav's been locked up for putting his sausage in a sausage.

Ferris

How on earth can people argue on a nice doggo page? That's madness. Pictures of dogs is one of the few things the internet does well.

I'm ashamed to say it's one of the reasons I use reddit. If you carefully curate it, it's a good feed of dog pictures and baseball statistics.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 20, 2018, 12:34:54 PM
Cool Dog Group is pretty great too - https://www.facebook.com/groups/cooldogpictures/ - they do have rules (and about six months ago when someone posted cat pics it got briefly twatty) but it mostly stays on topic and just includes cute or funny pics. Plus sometimes there's some fun photoshopping going on as well when someone asks the group to modify a pic.

Thanks for that- lots of rules but that's a good thing, it looks like posts stay on topic. Good to see a No Selfies rule too- that "Look at MEEEEEEE and my baby, everyone post dogs to celebrate MEEEEEEE and my baby pls- waaaarrggh warrrgh, why are people being meeeeaaann" post was pure attention-seeking and there was too much of that.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 20, 2018, 12:30:49 PM
wrong doggo group, I'm a Westie group member (I don't own a westie) and its all cuteness and light.

Aaaahhhh that figures- lovely Scottish dogs owned by lovely Scottish folk. Perhaps some breeds just attract nicer owners- certainly, anyone who buys a pibble pitbull or Staffie and then decides it won't look right until they can get its cute floppy ears needlessly mutilated by a vet is a cunt.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 20, 2018, 01:02:49 PM
I'm ashamed to say it's one of the reasons I use reddit. If you carefully curate it, it's a good feed of dog pictures and baseball statistics.

I joined Reddit when I got an Xbox. I was expecting lots of replies along the lines of "FAKE GAMER GIRL HOPE YOU GET RAAAAPED" but it's actually really good for discussion of specific games- and as you say, it's not hard to curate. I  think most of the twats keep themselves to r/the_donald.

kilgore

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 20, 2018, 12:18:32 PM
How do you permanently delete your account?

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

You can request all your data back as well, wish I did before I pushed the button :(

Ferris

You'll find whatever you go looking for on reddit. If you want obnoxious dickheads arguing, you'll get that.

If you stick to smaller niche subs, it tends to be nicer. I'm in a role-playing fake baseball league ffs, that's as nerdy as you get*. This one is also good. https://www.reddit.com/r/rarepuppers/

*thanks for asking, I play second base but designated a backup role at shortstop which cost some power but increases my flexibility and value on the roster. Keeps me competitive for trades, especially as middle infielders should be hitting for contact anyway. Current slash line .400/.433/.580

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 20, 2018, 01:17:36 PM

Aaaahhhh that figures- lovely Scottish dogs owned by lovely Scottish folk. Perhaps some breeds just attract nicer owners- certainly, anyone who buys a pibble pitbull or Staffie and then decides it won't look right until they can get its cute floppy ears needlessly mutilated by a vet is a cunt.

they're mainly American, Canadian and Dutch women on the page, and most of them are power-walkers. Not a nasty bone in their body, though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 20, 2018, 01:26:21 PM
You'll find whatever you go looking for on reddit. If you want obnoxious dickheads arguing, you'll get that.

If you stick to smaller niche subs, it tends to be nicer. I'm in a role-playing fake baseball league ffs, that's as nerdy as you get*. This one is also good. https://www.reddit.com/r/rarepuppers/

*thanks for asking, I play second base but designated a backup role at shortstop which cost some power but increases my flexibility and value on the roster. Keeps me competitive for trades, especially as middle infielders should be hitting for contact anyway. Current slash line .400/.433/.580

you'll have to walk me through this next Tuesday!

Barry Admin

One of the Pokémon Go discords has a very overzealous control freak admin, who is always quoting his numbered rule list. People were having a bit of friendly banter and rivalry the other day, so he was straight in with the paragraph of rules about friendly, sportsmanlike competition to kill that stone dead. Fucksake.

canadagoose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 20, 2018, 01:26:21 PM

I like r/rarepuppers too. On Facebook, I'm a member of Disapproving Corgis and Spaniel Tails!, as I'm sure some of you won't be surprised to hear. Both seem fairly decent.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 20, 2018, 02:36:28 PM
One of the Pokémon Go discords has a very overzealous control freak admin, who is always quoting his numbered rule list. People were having a bit of friendly banter and rivalry the other day, so he was straight in with the paragraph of rules about friendly, sportsmanlike competition to kill that stone dead. Fucksake.

Didn't someone on here once say they'd shared a photo to a Facebook group about snapshots of their scenic village, only for the mod to delete it because it featured a burnt-out car or a dog poo bin or a knackered bus shelter or something, and she didn't care about the striking contrast with the beautiful scenery or the composition or the artistic merit of the photo because she just didn't allow any photos that made the village look a bit rough and common? I've heard a few other stories about that- mods of Facebook groups dedicated to scenic rural villages seem to behave like tin-pot dictators way too often.

Signed up to r/rarepuppers and Disapproving Corgis now, so cheers!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 20, 2018, 10:58:55 AM
I think there was also a problem with one of the Peep Show groups where two of the mods fell out over the name
"We are not the bloody Hair Blair Bunch!"

Jockice

I'm a member of one of those 'memories of the past' groups, after my sister joined it and sent me a link. It was okay at first but the same stuff kept coming up all the time and there had been a few vaguely racist posts and comments coming up. I didn't object (as far as I'm concerned people can write whatever crap they want. Even twats are entitled to their opinion) but my sis complained about a post, in a pretty light-hearted way - I saw what she wrote - and promptly got banned herself. Which was strange, but the founder seems to be some sort of totalitarian, who won't have any dissent at all.

So I left in protest. But a week later the founder had put me back in the group, without me asking. Suits me fine but I've stopped following the stuff so I don't have to read anything if I don't want to. Eeh, do you remember racism and totalitarianism?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jockice on April 20, 2018, 08:26:18 PM
Eeh, do you remember racism and totalitarianism?
No, but, it seems to be everywhere now. What a wonderful future. Just as well none of my sperm is fertilising eggs or I'd feel really guilty.

Head Gardener

I'm still banned and yet I feel kinda funky

Blue Jam

Just got muted for a week by another doggo group over the whole ear-cropping thing. This time the admins asked "How can we improve the page?" and everyone who posted "No doggos with cropped ears" got people tagging every dog-ear-cropping cunt they knew to get them to dogpile (no pun intended) onto the dissenters until the mods muted them all, and then the ear-cropping-cunt admins locked the thread. Why can't I just see some pictures of cute doggos (with intact ears)? Again, why all the power-tripping? I may just leave the group (quietly), so many horrible people posting pics of their unhappy-looking doggos.

Thanks for the recommendations for Facebook's Disapproving Corgis and Spaniel Tails, and Reddit's r/rarepuppers btw. I know people often hate rules but they're necessary and these places are much nicer when they're enforced.

I thought Reddit was supposed to be the dark underbelly of the internet, not Facebook. Here, have another:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sploot/

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 03, 2018, 05:20:46 PM
Just got muted for a week by another doggo group over the whole ear-cropping thing. This time the admins asked "How can we improve the page?" and everyone who posted "No doggos with cropped ears" got people tagging every dog-ear-cropping cunt they knew to get them to dogpile (no pun intended) onto the dissenters until the mods muted them all, and then the ear-cropping-cunt admins locked the thread. Why can't I just see some pictures of cute doggos (with intact ears)? Again, why all the power-tripping? I may just leave the group (quietly), so many horrible people posting pics of their unhappy-looking doggos.

Thanks for the recommendations for Facebook's Disapproving Corgis and Spaniel Tails, and Reddit's r/rarepuppers btw. I know people often hate rules but they're necessary and these places are much nicer when they're enforced.

I thought Reddit was supposed to be the dark underbelly of the internet, not Facebook. Here, have another:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sploot/

I use reddit, with strict sub management it's good. I use it for doggo pictures, fantasy baseball, baseball roleplaying (v cool), and that's about it? So it's just a nice feed of those things.

I am already a sploot subscriber. Give /r/zoomies a go also, just doggos running around. V nice!

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Kane Jones on April 16, 2018, 03:33:26 PM
The same thing happened to me when I posted the cover of Pixies' Surfer Rosa. I had already pre-emptively put circles over the lady's nips, but it wasn't enough. So I had to completely cover the breast area. Fucking ludicrous.

That really is ludicrous and also i think contravenes their own rules as afaiknew they operate the biggytitbo policy - you aint seen the tit unless youve seen the nipple.

otherwise why wouldnt you have to cover up bikini-clad ladies ?

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 03, 2018, 08:02:05 PM
I am already a sploot subscriber. Give /r/zoomies a go also, just doggos running around. V nice!

Heheheheh, thanks! Watching doggos with the zoomies amuses me no end so I think I will enjoy this. I love it when I see them in pubs, going mental with other dogs who also have the zoomies.

The whole ear-cropping thing is a big problem with Facebook's various doggo groups. People argue over it a lot and the mods try to bar any criticism, but unfortunately there seems to be a kind of ear-cropping mafia who like to abuse the rules to cause drama. They'll post "Say hello to my new Doberman pupper!" with a pic of a sad-looking dog with freshly-bandaged ears, knowing full well it will upset people, and then they'll sit back and wait for the negative comments and Angry Reacts to roll in so they can go "WAH WAH WAH I'M A GOOD OWNER MY DOGS ARE HAPPY YOU'RE ALL JUST BIGOTED AND IGNORANT WAH WAH". Then they'll tag their ear-cropping cunt mates to get a good dogpile going. Then they'll tag the moderators and get a few people banned, and then they'll have a circle-jerk about their "victory".

The dog-mutilating cunt who grassed me to the mods yesterday was whining that my comments upset her because she'd had actual death threats over her pics before, and yet there she was posting even more of them to the very people she knew would be upset by them. I also thought it was odd that she'd memorised a big list of mods and other people who could join in on her assault. It's more of the power-trip thing, and I think some people just get off on negative attention and playing the victim.

I've noticed that these people argue that ear-cropping is fine because "the dogs are so young they don't remember it" and "it's legal and everybody does it here" (ie, in the US). One of them even said "I wouldn't want to live in a country that doesn't allow ear-cropping". They use the same arguments that people use to defend circumcision and gun ownership- they're mostly Yanks and it shows, frankly.

I'll stay with Spaniel Tails for now- lots of nice floppy ears on there...

Ferris

It's mad that you would do something like to nice doggos. I don't need any of that, just normal dogs running around please!

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 04, 2018, 04:31:49 PM
It's mad that you would do something like to nice doggos. I don't need any of that, just normal dogs running around please!

I just spent an enjoyable hour in my favourite pub with my favourite resident pub spaniel and her lovely floppy ears, which prick up whenever I come in and she recognises me as one of the regulars and is overjoyed to see me.

I was thinking "If anyone ever tried to take a scalpel to those, I would fucking burn them".

bgmnts

Why are people okay supporting the mass torture and slaughter of cows, pigs and chickens but cropping a dog is evil?

Not even trying to be a cunt, it just genuinely blows my mind a bit.

mothman

What is this modern "doggos" nonsense, anyway? Can't you just say "dog?" Is it like the Trekker-Trekkie thing only for doggies? Sure, dog people are just as batshit crazy as cat people, but you were at least relatively restrained about it.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on July 04, 2018, 09:11:35 PM
Why are people okay supporting the mass torture and slaughter of cows, pigs and chickens but cropping a dog is evil?

I must have missed the mass-chicken torture that I support. Maybe it's because that is utter nonsense.

"Cropping" a dog is mad and evil. This thread has really taken a turn.

Ferris

Quote from: mothman on July 04, 2018, 09:22:36 PM
What is this modern "doggos" nonsense, anyway? Can't you just say "dog?" Is it like the Trekker-Trekkie thing only for doggies? Sure, dog people are just as batshit crazy as cat people, but you were at least relatively restrained about it.

Alright, grandad.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 04, 2018, 08:49:00 PM
I just spent an enjoyable hour in my favourite pub with my favourite resident pub spaniel and her lovely floppy ears, which prick up whenever I come in and she recognises me as one of the regulars and is overjoyed to see me.

I was thinking "If anyone ever tried to take a scalpel to those, I would fucking burn them".

Sounds lovely! Which pub? I used to like the Canny Man on Morningside but in my years as an Edinburgh resident I never had enough money to settle on a favourite. The library bar at the university was good, funny little hidden staircases which I enjoyed.

mothman

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 04, 2018, 10:01:27 PM
Alright, grandad.

That's hardly an answer. There must be a reason for it.

Ferris

Quote from: mothman on July 04, 2018, 10:11:12 PM
That's hardly an answer. There must be a reason for it.

Dogs are nice and silly, so a nice silly word is fun. Sorry if you were hoping for a deeper reason why people use animal slang on the internet.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: bgmnts on July 04, 2018, 09:11:35 PM

They're like little human beings, aren't they.

canadagoose

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 04, 2018, 08:49:00 PM

Aww, where is this? I need to see this spaniel and give her lots of pets.