Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:01:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy’s Homemade Show [split topic]

Started by Pseudopath, March 23, 2018, 10:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

Quote from: Z on March 10, 2018, 06:09:19 PM
This game streaming stuff is pretty mad in general. I've watched a few speedruns and you'll hear people giving these guys $50 a pop and whatnot.

People who are extremely lonely often have a pretty huge excess of disposable income (I know I do), they're pretty much paying to bolster their sense of companionship, that the person streaming might recognise their name in the comments, etc. It's also not super surprising that it would occur so strongly with game streams, where you've a fuck ton of loaded and socially inept kids.

You think that's bad you should check out the IRL section of Twitch. One of the absolute creepiest things I've ever seen. A woman with padded cleavage locked in her room for 8 hours talking in a put on high pitched voice just reading comments and saying thank you to each one while pretending to not notice all the comments about her tits. Its like the notorious tit streamers but without even the veneer of trying to hide it.

https://www.twitch.tv/stpeach/videos/all

Pseudopath

Quote from: Z on April 03, 2018, 10:54:13 PM
It's a testament to how weak season 3 must be that I haven't seen it and have rarely seen a Limmy clip linked anywhere (and I seem to see loads) that I didn't immediately recognise

To be fair, Season 3 did have some widely-shared clips such as 'Kilogramme of Steel' (which I was convinced was a Season 2 sketch), 'Stick it in your mooth, Margaret' and 'Bad Bastard'. It also has the best Jacqueline McCafferty skit ('Chocolate Choux').

Sebastian Cobb

It also had Dream Scheme, which is some of his best work imo.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Artemis on April 03, 2018, 04:06:19 PM
I agree with whoever said just a half hour of him being a weird bloke in his home would be great. That's his appeal, really. A social misfit with an expressive face.

Re-watching Limmy's Show in full a couple of months ago, I was struck by how badly it stacks up compared to my memory of it. It's frequently brilliant but there are several clangers in each episode, especially in the third series, a lot of which isn't very good. I finished thinking he had a good 8-10 episodes of really solid, funny stuff. But spread it out over 18.

Artemis

Quote from: Pseudopath on April 04, 2018, 12:53:08 AM
To be fair, Season 3 did have some widely-shared clips such as 'Kilogramme of Steel' (which I was convinced was a Season 2 sketch), 'Stick it in your mooth, Margaret' and 'Bad Bastard'. It also has the best Jacqueline McCafferty skit ('Chocolate Choux').

Aye, I'm not saying it was shit, just that the hit:miss ratio, which was always present, was worse in his final season.

Shay Chaise

Limmy's Show very very rarely captured him at his best, which was on the webcam, being spontaneously funny. I'd say some of the Vines captured that spontaneity and inspiration really well, on occasion. This game streaming stuff is dismal lazy shit for the 'taps aafff' affectation crowd. I like him and I think he's one of the funniest people I've ever seen but I see his career winding down.

Pebble_Mill

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 03, 2018, 03:53:00 PM
Exposure on BBC2's regional opt-out slot and the UK-only iPlayer vs international online viewership?

From what I can tell he didn't pitch the idea to the Beeb to get the cash. He made it expecting to recoup the cost from Patreon but then sold it to the BBC instead.

I was thinking about this last night and it occurred to me that the BBC Scotland allocation will almost certainly be a cost cutting measure on behalf of the bbc, rather than a snub to Limmy. Also this isn't his first rodeo, he's had the 3 series, and the Falconhoof knock back, I'd be surprised if he hasn't

a) done very well out of this initially, having produced the entirety of the show himself

b) secured a good deal on the back end (distribution etc) or kept some of those rights for himself

c) thought about the surge in more mainstream publicity he's getting ahead of having a show on TV.

Led Souptin

any of you lovely people know how we go about watching this live outside of scotland?

imitationleather

Ham Bap

Quote from: Led Souptin on April 05, 2018, 09:14:00 PM
any of you lovely people know how we go about watching this live outside of scotland?

970 if you have a sky box.
Otherwise I think it's on iPlayer.

Z

Quote from: Pebble_Mill on April 05, 2018, 10:58:53 AM
I was thinking about this last night and it occurred to me that the BBC Scotland allocation will almost certainly be a cost cutting measure on behalf of the bbc, rather than a snub to Limmy. Also this isn't his first rodeo, he's had the 3 series, and the Falconhoof knock back, I'd be surprised if he hasn't

a) done very well out of this initially, having produced the entirety of the show himself

b) secured a good deal on the back end (distribution etc) or kept some of those rights for himself

c) thought about the surge in more mainstream publicity he's getting ahead of having a show on TV.
or it's just a lot easier having one big company give you a chunk of money than being indebted to several thousand people

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Led Souptin on April 05, 2018, 09:14:00 PM

Scroll down on iplayer and change location to Scotland, then you can watch it live. 12 minutes!

Large Noise

Large Noise

A couple missed the mark but most were excellent I thought.

Cuntbeaks

Liked the format but the material left a bit to be desired.

Patchy at best.

Beagle 2

thegammonboys

Hit and miss, ey. Wish he'd done more character stuff.

hedgehog90

Led Souptin

Thought a couple of bits were weak, the shoe bit especially, but laughed a lot during the whole thing. Techno nursery ryhmes got funnier every time for me and I was almost keeled over at the finger bit. Don't know how to describe it other than 'the finger bit'.

Also thought the punchier sketches were some of the best bits, but i suppose 30 minutes of vines on the tele would be a bit much

Still kind of thinking it would probably suit the internet better but wouldn't mind it being a series if the beeb give him one. Either way I'd watch hella more of this

mobias

I enjoyed it. The best bits were really good but there was a fair amount of filler. Its like a much more fleshed out version of his Vines but the vines were so good because they were so short and didn't have the weight of trying to be a TV show. I'm glad the BBC have shown it but its like they've got this unique and great talent with Limmy but don't really know what to do with him. I kind of think he deserves something better than a show that is possibly better suited to Youtube. I'm not sure I can imagine a 6 part series of it.

ajsmith2

The Kelvingrove sketch was the highlight for me, in no way hindered by its visual focus on spiffy suits of armour I've admired for 30 years.

Wet Blanket

I liked it. The pros and cons of it was that it was more or less just the same as Limmy's Show. Felt like he was a bit reined in, maybe. No cunt-bombs or really outrageous stuff, (some of the swears seemed to be blanked out) which I was hoping for when he first suggested he'd make a 'homemade show'. His mainstream stuff doesn't have the same off-the-wall, violent, ludicrously grim bent that's marked out his funniest stuff for me. That online live chat where he was waving a knife about and pretending to intimidate someone in a night club is probably his finest hour.

VelourSpirit

Fingerbanging and Kelvingrove museum definitely the best for me. The litter one had me properly laughing out loud as well actually. Patreon probably would have been better really.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: mobias on April 05, 2018, 10:43:20 PM
I enjoyed it. The best bits were really good but there was a fair amount of filler. Its like a much more fleshed out version of his Vines but the vines were so good because they were so short and didn't have the weight of trying to be a TV show. I'm glad the BBC have shown it but its like they've got this unique and great talent with Limmy but don't really know what to do with him. I kind of think he deserves something better than a show that is possibly better suited to Youtube. I'm not sure I can imagine a 6 part series of it.

I think you might be right. Falconhoof wasn't my favourite character but it's a shame we'll never see his proposed sitcom, which he said in one interview was turned down partly because it didn't quite fit the remit of a 'comedy'. I think a darkly comic drama written by and starring him (maybe in several roles) would be a great development. Maybe even an Inside No9 anthology progranmme based on his Daft Wee Stories

selectivememory

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Wasn't amazing, but pretty solid and a lot of potential if he's given the chance to develop it.

Loved the finger bit especially, and also the litter bit and the ouija board bit

mobias

It would be better off on Channel 4 after midnight at the weekend and be a lot more dark and edgy. The BBC are clearly going after a more mainstream audience which really isn't there for him and doesn't suit his material anyway.

ajsmith2

The bit where a member of the public said something to him was interestedly- not amusing or noteworthy in itself, but it's inclusion seemed to suggest he was hoping that some kind of more substantial live interaction of that nature might occur to utilise.