Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:38:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy’s Homemade Show [split topic]

Started by Pseudopath, March 23, 2018, 10:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asids

I'd say it was good and definitely funny, but I do come out of it feeling a bit underwhelmed. He said something in his interview with the Scotsman that because it's one episode everything in there would be stuff he really liked, but in reality it had a half and half hit/miss rate - like one of the episodes from S3 of Limmy's Show. Yeah, there's a bit of filler in there (e.g. the shoe sketch).

It was very good despite that. I agree with the sentiment this can only really reach its full potential with Limmy have unlimited creative freedom through Patreon - I think the BBC have tried to rein him in a bit. I was surprised how relatively...soft it was even compared to Limmy's Show. Perhaps the BBC deciding this will be a one-off is a blessing in disguise, he can then jump on Patreon and do whatever the fuck he likes.

Calistan

If anyone has a link to the show they could share with me here or via PM I'd greatly appreciate it. Don't have iPlayer access.

Malcy

Brilliant. Didn't disappoint. Definitely flying the flag for Scottish comedy since Still Game is decomposing. Worth pointing out that he and a few others I know who work in the comedy world reckon Still Game is preventing a lot of new Scottish stuff from being made. Especially when it was off air and that is 'all they were looking for'.

Hope BBC Scotland pull their finger out and give Limmy more options with him if they want him.

Danger Man

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 04, 2018, 04:18:04 AM
but I see his career winding down.

During the Ouija Board sketch I thought he could be a Scottish Paddy Considine. Maybe straight acting beckons even though he is still very funny.

Bronzy

Quote from: Danger Man on April 06, 2018, 12:15:29 AM
During the Ouija Board sketch I thought he could be a Scottish Paddy Considine. Maybe straight acting beckons even though he is still very funny.

I genuinely think he'd be very good playing an alcoholic or emotionally damaged character, like in a Ken Loach film.

Desirable Industrial Unit

Well get me, I thought that was utter shit, and was completely bored of it halfway through.  Bland is the word.

Most of the stuff in it I'd probably have found funny if I'd seen the various bits as individual clips, though, but it just pounds your head in if it's a full half hour.  If he does go back to this being a Patreon thing then it might be great, but this doesn't work as a TV thing.

itsfredtitmus

the madness / dissociation sketches are pure limmy

JoeyBananaduck

Solidly enjoyable. Shitty that it wasn't on BBC Two for the whole UK. His Vine shows local to here sold out months ago....so there's no interest in him in England, yeah?

I think different people like different parts of Limmy's world, really. 6 episodes of this, if everyone in this thread were to compile their own best-ofs you'd end up with 6 completely different shows. But as a reflection of what he does overall, solid. Could have been better, but was good. I would agree it was lacking some of his more acerbic/unpleasant/dumb/hostile characters. If anything was missing it was that, but I get the feeling this was deliberately his more palatable stuff. My favourites were the Museum bit and the stop-frame stairs thing.

Cuntbeaks

The stop motion skit was absolutely terrible, pure HNC Video Production with no pay off whatsoever.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on April 06, 2018, 08:33:30 AM
The stop motion skit was absolutely terrible, pure HNC Video Production with no pay off whatsoever.
eh so you haven't seen any of his vine stop motions then

Ham Bap

Need to watch this again as I was distracted by something. Though I found bits funny, others not so. I would watch a full series of this though.
People on here saying that it would have worked better online as a Patreon series. One thing I was thinking about is that does it appeal better to something like Netflix If he is on the BBC. So is there more chance someone like Netflix could get interested from last night, throw money at him and let him do what he wants without the BBC. Just a thought.

ajsmith2

Wasn't that the point? Prob the kind of thing that works better as a vine though; in the cold light of a proper BBC show people's expectations are tuned differently.

Call me naive, but I was kinda hoping after the intro to that that it would end up actually being a piece of unplanned live footage, rather than a fake out.

Shay Chaise

I enjoyed the museum sketch but everything else seemed to be searching for something funny and never finding it. Almost no pay off to any sketch. Everything drawn out. I like his facial expressions and well observed voices and choice of language but it's rarely funny. It's also extremely tame. That's probably what I enjoyed about the museum sketch, the undercurrent of dark emotions which is his strength. Most of it was very mundane.

itsfredtitmus

ajsmith2

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 06, 2018, 08:48:12 AM
I enjoyed the museum sketch but everything else seemed to be searching for something funny and never finding it. Almost no pay off to any sketch. Everything drawn out. I like his facial expressions and well observed voices and choice of language but it's rarely funny. It's also extremely tame. That's probably what I enjoyed about the museum sketch, the undercurrent of dark emotions which is his strength. Most of it was very mundane.

Aye, I agree; Kelvingrove sketch had an edge the rest of the show never matched, although placing it quite early meant it's atmosphere at least lingered over the next few sketches. 'Protect your children!'. It also benefited from having something most of the rest of the show lacked; really cool visuals. I love those suits of armour, think it's great he's spotlighted them for a (potential) world audience. I'm sure Kelvingrove are made up.

mobias

I still mostly think Limmy is not always best viewed as being all out comedy. His stuff is more like a stream through his surreal subconsciousness and his weird observations, sometimes all out funny, more often just enjoyably bizarre. His output is mostly much more in the world of Jam than it is the world of Still Game. Like I said before if this is going to be broadcast terrestrially then it would be much better off on Channel 4 after midnight, with far great scope, and not the relative cozy primetime of the BBC, who would clearly try to the shape the show into something it isn't. 

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 06, 2018, 08:51:27 AM
still not getting the hate for this!

Has there been much? Seems like a mostly positive response to me.

I liked the sudden breakdown at the end of the finger sketch. Something starkly well-observed about it.

itsfredtitmus

not sure why every limmy sketch has to be a dream scheme

Beagle 2

I honestly thought it was something really special, and I liked seeing something so indulgent on TV. I was in stitches pretty much all the way through, only the shoes sketch fell completely flat for me. As for the sketches being 'drawn out', I really liked that aspect. I think he's ploughing a unique furrow and it still felt so much fresher than most of the sketch comedy out there at the moment.

Beagle 2

It was funny and creepy. I don't think he was going for Industrial Light and Magic standard visuals.

Wet Blanket

The weird camera perspective on his face as he walked over to the cabinet in the shoes sketch made me laugh. The only one I thought was genuinely verging on the terrible was the rabbit toy in the wardrobe.

The highlights for me were the tiler at the beginning and the comedy lecture. But there was nothing to match his Guide to the Clyde which is more like what I was expecting.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 06, 2018, 09:15:59 AM
The only one I thought was genuinely verging on the terrible was the rabbit toy in the wardrobe.

That was saved by "I know you might say just don't go 'hmmnaahmmmnnnnaaah', but I shouldn't have to"

Rizla

I loved it. "Pick that up!" and the ouija board sketch were magic.

Serge

The trainers sketch had me crying. Just the daftness of it. The fact that it came so close after the 'faster!' techno sketch probably helped, as I was already roaring at that.

Malcy

Quote from: Serge on April 06, 2018, 11:36:22 AM
The trainers sketch had me crying. Just the daftness of it. The fact that it came so close after the 'faster!' techno sketch probably helped, as I was already roaring at that.

Having seen the Buckle My Shoe clip dozens of times before the episode aired I was delighted when there was a couple more of them. Should be his next project. A CBeebies show with banging tunes of nursery rhymes. Either that or Limmy's Bedtime Daft Wee Stories!

Noodle Lizard

Also worth remembering that, aside from the upfront production costs (camera, lights etc.), I imagine this didn't cost anything to make.  I can't think of any other half hour comedy (or anything really) which is the product of one bloke fucking about with basically nothing, completely by himself.  Whether you thought it was his best stuff or not, it's pretty impressive.

Shay Chaise

I don't find it impressive necessarily but I appreciate the attempt to capture some of the webcam spontaneity. That was probably 5% brilliance and I was happy to watch another half hour or so of meandering for the best bits. I suppose when it's more 'curated' and 'all the best bits' in his own words, I'm probably less patient. I take the point that this is more of a mood piece/auteur thing, like Jam, rather than a laff a minute. That said, I didn't especially enjoy Jam and think it's dated really badly.

garbed_attic

For some reason, the spaghetti drink test man breaking his legs floored me.

sevendaughters

Really liked it. On one hand it's a bit of a swiz that he's having to do something much smaller, but on the other he's so creative that he can make something out of it. I really liked his cast so maybe I just miss them. Maybe he needed to be forced to do something different to stay creative? idk. more please.