Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Small sections in songs that are as good as the song itself

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, January 27, 2005, 12:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "oceanthroats"'Can you take me back where I've been from' from the White album, just before Revolution 9.

Just going to nominate that bit myself. Anyone mentioned George Martin's middle 8 on 'In My Life'? A crucial momnt in the hostory of rock & roll there, I'd say.

Derek Trucks

The horn solo in For No One.  Apparently Alan Civil (the horn player) wrote it himself uncredited.  The finest 10 seconds on Revolver.

The "In the cantina, margarita"  that originally didn't make onto Heroes & Villians, but is on the Smile album.

The last 5 seconds of I Am the Resurrection, those rocky guitars.

The Culture Bunker

Good Vibrations, again - but the bit that gets me every time is when Al Jardine sings "I don't know where but she sends me there". It's perfection, it really is.

abbot lau

Quote from: "oceanthroats"Paul McCartney used to do a lot of these sorts of things. .

I concur...   I was thinking of  some 'songbits' and realised that two thirds were by McCartney. Maybe it's the way he writes songs, putting little patches and riffs in there that he thought of at other times.

Anyway, the bit in 'Live and Let Die' when it goes all reggae unexpectedly. You know the bit. Where he sings 'What does it matter to you...'   It's great. There's an electric piano and all kinds of dubby squeaks, and he still manages to blast back into the main song with the word HELL...

Bad track to drive to. Makes you go all irresponsible.

Darrell

The mini-chorus in 'Two Of Us' by the Beatles. Magical chords.

sam and janet evening

'Band on the run', the 'If I ever get out of here' bit.

The wierd thrashy punky bit that bookends 'Man out of time' by Elvis Costello
And the 'No news is good news' bit from 'You little fool'. (In fact, pretty much the whole of 'Imperial Bedroom' is made up of ace little sections such as these)

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "sam and janet evening"'Band on the run', the 'If I ever get out of here' bit.

I'd nominate the sunburst of acoustic guitar just before 'Well the rain exploded...' myself. But there's something for everyone in there. Except for twats. They won't get anything out of it.

sam and janet evening

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"something for everyone in there. Except for twats. They won't get anything out of it.

No, quite. They'll just go on about how nothing he did after the Beatles was any good.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I'd nominate the sunburst of acoustic guitar just before 'Well the rain exploded...' myself.
How true, I absolutely LOVE that bit.

amp

I can think of 3 Mr Bungle songs off the top of my head - Dead Goon (that bassline), Violenza Domestica (lovely bit in the middle - driven by piano, organ & classical guitar) and Carry Stress In The Jaw ("paaa-aaa-aaa-oooww-der.... griiiiiiiiiiinding.... maaa-haaoouthfu-ulllllllll...!")

Quote from: "Cardinal Tit Storm"A somewhat extreme example is November Rain by Guns N Roses. Boring, pompous, long-winded drivel, and then right at the end Slash pulls out one of the coolest guitar riffs of all time.

I just had that on, and skipped straight to that part - spooky...
Mind you, I only d/l'd it (shh!) for that part in the first place!

I now expect Axl Rose to jump out of my CRT and punch me in the face any second...

Spiteface

"Fuck You (An Ode to No One)" by the Smashing Pumpkins has this awesome breakdown in it, at about 2m25. And the solo has this mental tone on it.

Also, the intro to PiL's "Public Image" sounds really cool as well.