Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Liz Kershaw

Started by Barry Admin, April 07, 2018, 02:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

Quote from: Serge on April 09, 2018, 09:43:00 PM
She was on 'Pointless Celebrities' not long back. She took part in an event at Rough Trade a few years ago where we staged a music quiz, alongside Lucy Porter and...er....some other people. There's definitely no mistaking that Long and Chegwin were brother and sister these days - she looks more like him than ever.

Janice Long's weekly chats with John Walters were always a treat.

buzby

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 09, 2018, 06:10:35 PM
I'm sure she's okay. What's Janice Long doing these days?
She does the evening show (7pm-10pm) on BBC Radio Wales.

I will be forever thankful to her for setting up Crash FM in Liverpool, which was our local XFM/proto-Radio 6 for a very brief period (1998-99) before the backers got cold feet, booted her out and turned it into a Top 40 station before selling it to Forever Broadcasting, who rebranded it as Juice FM. It was then sold to Absolute/UTV and is now part of Global's Capital network.

DrGreggles

Liz and Janice are OK with me.
Considerably less cunty than the vast majority of their former colleagues anyway.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Liz KershawI first heard rumours about Jimmy Savile when I lived in Leeds. He was a perv. But crossing Savile meant you'd get more than a calling card from his gangster buddies.

I didn't actually meet him until I interviewed him at home in 1997 for a TV series about pop history. At 38 I was far too old to be in peril myself. But I still found him menacing and revolting, sprawled on his leather sofa, cigar in mouth, legs akimbo.

Her brother's became a stalking weirdo, didn't he?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 10, 2018, 01:45:12 PM

Andy? He lives down the road from me. He's not a particularly nice person by all accounts. I remember when George Michael died, AK tweeted something quite critical of the guy and his music. That brought forth quite a few responses from people who'd had negative experiences with him, including this blog post from Peter Paphides.

QuoteI only met the radio DJ and sometime music show host Andy Kershaw once and that was about ten years ago. He had something to promote and his old co-presenter Mark Ellen, who was now editing a monthly music magazine called The Word, asked me if I wanted to do a Q&A interview at his house. I didn't need much persuading because, actually, there had been something I'd been meaning to ask Kershaw for the previous 20 years.

Back at the beginning of 1986, I was an awkward adolescent trying to find my feet at a further education college in Birmingham, after spectacularly failing almost all my O-levels the previous summer. I didn't know too many people and in my adolescence, I had reached a peak of social ineptitude. I was trying to turn into something cooler and more enjoyable than what I was at that point, but I didn't quite know what that was going to be.

I loved music — both pop and what little 'alternative' music I had heard. I wanted to make some new cool friends, but I didn't know how to go about doing that. At college, I started to nervously make some inroads. There was a girl in my Sociology class called Angela, who wore oversized t-shirts and wore her hair floppy on top and shaved at the sides. She had the names of loads of bands — The Wedding Present, Primal Scream, The Soup Dragons — written on her folder. I hadn't heard any of them, but I knew I needed to remedy that as a matter of urgency. One day, I summoned the courage to start a conversation with her. "Where can I hear some of these bands?" I asked her. She suggested I could start by listening to Andy Kershaw's weekly Thursday show, the next one of which happened to be between 10pm and midnight on that very evening. I went home and did exactly as she said, and what happened set off a chain of events that changed my life.

Back in the early months of 1986, Andy Kershaw used to play a range of music that ran the gamut between the emerging vanguard of indie bands making waves both here and in America, Australia and New Zealand, a smattering of Zimbabwean pop and classics from the alternative canon of the previous decade or two. In the space of two hours I heard records by The Go-Betweens, Jonathan Richman, Iggy Pop, Shop Assistants, The Chills, The Mahotella Queens, Sonic Youth, The Wedding Present, The Byrds and The TV Personalities. Not only did I become obsessed with all of these records, but I found routes from these artists to other artists, with whom they were in some way connected. Every record was a seed that germinated in my changing worldview and led me to more music.

The cassette of that show went into the new red Aiwa personal stereo whose batteries I would dutifully recharge every evening before going to sleep. I'd listen to side one on the way to college and side two on the way back. Soon, I became something of an expert on this stuff — at least, I thought I was enough of an expert about it to hold down a conversation with Angela and a couple of the other indie kids with whom I was starting to become friendly at college. Someone mentioned writing a fanzine. I'd heard about fanzines because my brother was a studying fine art at Manchester Polytechnic and sometimes, when he came back to visit, he'd bring one or two of them back with him. I thought that one way to impress Angela would be to start my own fanzine, and we could interview some of these bands when they came to Birmingham. Within a few months, I had met The Go-Betweens, Primal Scream and even Julian Cope.

That Andy Kershaw show set off a chain reaction which opened up a whole new world of music to me, and in doing so set me on a path which determined the course of my adult life. But much as I loved the new musical worlds opening up before me, I never stopped loving pop. I never stopped watching Top Of The Pops or going to Woolworths the day after another bunch of records dropped out of the Top 75 and into the half-price bin. I never thought indie or world music or reggae or psych-pop or any of that stuff was superior to, say, Rock Me Amadeus or Papa Don't Preach or A Different Corner. I might have started buying Melody Maker, but I never stopped reading Smash Hits. For me, it was all part of the same thing.

So, yes, 1986 was a very good year — and one day, I hoped to tell Andy Kershaw about the part he had to play in all of that . By the time I got a chance to do that in 2006, I also wanted to meet him because my Aiwa machine had long since chewed up that tape. I was hoping that he might perhaps keep a record of all his old shows and what he played on them, so I might be able to locate a recording of the show or get a list of what he played, all the better to recreate it. I really looked forward to telling him about it because I thought that perhaps the best thing about having a radio show would be to meet someone whose life you had helped to change, simply by virtue of your music selections.

I figured that if someone said that to me, it would make my day, my week even. Perhaps by telling him that and thanking him, I might make his day too — and, like I said, he might even be able to help be replace my tape. With all that in mind, I turned up to his house and told him all about what had happened on that evening in 1986, and about the chain of events that followed. He paused for a second before shrugging and, in a tone that verged on boredom, muttered something about not having kept his old shows before suggesting we start the interview.

So when I heard about his ignorant, petty, mean, ungracious, unnecessary, disrespectful dismissal of George Michael and people's reactions to his death yesterday, I wasn't quite as surprised as I might otherwise have been. And yet, for all of that, it remains that Andy Kershaw taught me two important things, and for those, I will always remain grateful: (1) If you hear the right music at the right time, it can change your life; (2) Learn from what Andy Kershaw allowed to happen to him and never ever, ever allow that happen to you.

https://medium.com/@petepaphides/on-andy-kershaw-c18770eb0955

Friends who have attempted to speak with him in the pubs in town have found him quite unpleasant too, a boorish and arrogant old soak. It's a shame as he always struck me as a pretty nice bloke when I was younger.

buzby

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 10, 2018, 01:45:12 PM
His partner left him after she found a text on his phone relating to an affair the day after they moved to the Isle Of Man. He was imprisoned 3 times on the Isle Of Man for violating the restraining order on contacting his ex-partner and children, and was on the run at one point. He also became an alcoholic and ended up sleeping rough at one point before releasing a Partridge-esque autobiography No Off Switch in 2011. He does occasional reports for The One Show now.

Dusty Gozongas

DJs innit. There'll always be ones you like because they play the best stuff but they're all essentially parasites, so no surprises.