Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:55:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

songs from the 2010s that looking back weren't really all that bad

Started by itsfredtitmus, April 09, 2018, 04:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

Bangarang - not sure what I see in this
I Kissed a Girl - I think it's just kinda glam sound that makes me like this and hot n cold.
I even kind of like the problematic lily allen-esque "the songs really twee, but there's rude words!!" and vaudeville of Ur So Gay

anticipating no replies

Lemming

We're just doing chart/pop music, right?

Katy Perry - Roar
Absolutely fucking hated it when it came out, but it's actually not a bad pop song.

OneRepublic - Counting Stars
Really grew on me, after initially despising it due to its omnipresence. There's a little alligator in the video!!!

Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
Yep, it's just a hook repeated over and over and over again, but I genuinely can't hear any catchy hooks at all in 90% of chart music from this decade, so I'll take what I can get.

Vance Joy - Riptide
Liked it since I first heard it, even if his voice is annoyingly moan-y.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
Another that I loved from the first time I heard it. The fact that it drives everyone else crazy only fuels my adoration of it.

If we stretch it back to 2009:
Lady Gaga - Poker Face / Bad Romance
Two QUALITY songs right there. Just Dance is pretty good too.

Owl City - Fireflies
Defended this song on here before and caught flak for it, but I will never back down

doppelkorn

grassbath

DrGreggles

When was 'Song For Mutya'?

Edit: 2007 apparently.

Never mind.

Pseudopath

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 10, 2018, 09:44:22 PM
When was 'Song For Mutya'?

Edit: 2007 apparently.

Never mind.

Easily done. The thread starter included a Katy Perry song from 2008.

Robyn - Dancing On My Own has got to be up there, surely?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Lemming on April 10, 2018, 03:30:32 PM
Owl City - Fireflies
Defended this song on here before and caught flak for it, but I will never back down
YOU BLOODY DESERVE IT TOO. A DIRTY SONG.

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend
I like The Rubinoos but I think I like this more than the original (realise it isn't a cover but it may as well be)

Dr Rock

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 10, 2018, 10:01:53 PM
user has been banned

Lil Wayne - Lollipop
Remember thinking this was utter wank but it's just FINE, really. The guitar solo in it is funny as well
It came out in 2008 but it sounds like it's from 2005 nowadays

Sebastian Cobb

Marina and the Diamonds - I am Not a Robot.

Uffie - Pop the Glock

buttgammon

Another that I loved from the first time I heard it. The fact that it drives everyone else crazy only fuels my adoration of it.

Crazy in a bad way? Because it drives me crazy in a very good way. I think she's fantastic.

It's a bit too recent to be looking back at it but Strangers by Sigrid. There's something about her that I find very irritating which put me off at first but I genuinely like the song.

I've had Be the One by Dua Lipa in my head all week but it's probably driven by the fact that I fancy her more than any other celebrity since I was single (Aldi advert woman a few years ago doesn't count as a celebrity). Last summer, my girlfriend, her sister and I spent a week decorating the flat and we played the same playlist on a loop all week. This song just happened to be on the playlist, so it also makes makes break out into a cold sweat thinking about how much trouble I had painting the corners.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 10, 2018, 10:09:38 PM
Marina and the Diamonds - I am Not a Robot.

Good shout. She's a massively underrated artist. Quite fond of Radioactive too.

Dr Rock

Stoneage Dinosaurs

What's the official consensus on 'Happy' by Pharrell Williams? Cause that's a nice one. I think that Pharrell is also a proper fun lad and would like to go hang out with him. His hat is also good

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Also why has everyone (including me) unanimously picked pop songs when that wasn't specified in the title? O_O

momatt

I have listened to it all, and I think the music made in this ten year period is rubbish.

asids

Quote from: Pseudopath on April 10, 2018, 09:48:29 PM
Easily done. The thread starter included a Katy Perry song from 2008.

Robyn - Dancing On My Own has got to be up there, surely?

I'll second this.

Now let's pick some songs that are actually from the 2010s since you lot don't seem to know:

Dua Lipa - New Rules (I know she was already suggested up the thread but not this song)

Pink - Blow Me (One Last Kiss)

Lorde - Green Light

The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming

Karmin - Brokenhearted

Ariana Grande - One Last Time

Marina and the Diamonds - Primadonna (pretty much everything from the Electra Heart album actually)

Norton Canes

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on April 11, 2018, 01:14:08 PM
Also why has everyone (including me) unanimously picked pop songs when that wasn't specified in the title? O_O

Also, some of the records listed were never considered "bad" in the first place. "Call Me Maybe" was widely praised at the time. "Dancing On My Own," too. And Marina And The Diamonds have been fairly well reviewed from the get-go.

What's going on here, anyway, for god sake? 

purlieu

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 09, 2018, 04:24:15 AM
I Kissed a Girl - I think it's just kinda glam sound that makes me like this and hot n cold.
I even kind of like the problematic lily allen-esque "the songs really twee, but there's rude words!!" and vaudeville of Ur So Gay
Katy Perry - Roar
Lady Gaga - Poker Face / Bad Romance
Quote from: buttgammon on April 10, 2018, 10:18:00 PM
Be the One by Dua Lipa
Quote from: asids on April 11, 2018, 01:57:48 PM
Dua Lipa - New Rules
Ariana Grande - One Last Time
I think I liked all these from first listen. I mean something like 'Be the One' seems an odd choice, it's one of the least overtly commercial sounding pop hits I've heard in ages. Could easily fit on some independent dream-pop album.
QuoteLorde - Green Light
I hated this at first, though. Felt so generic and obviously 'anthemy' after the skewed minimal pop of her debut, and in comparison to interesting stuff like 'The Louvre', but it's grown on me over time, so I suppose this is a genuine 'looking back'.

I've always liked pop, though. I've had a steady stream of pop albums in my collection, regardless of what age I was, whether it was Britney and Girls Aloud and Robyn in the 00s or all of the above this decade. I wasn't aware of the term 'poptimism' until a couple of years ago, so I've never really followed trends with listening to pop (and I can't stand a lot of stuff that seems to be highly rated - Beyonce, for example).

Anyway, as this isn't intentionally a pop thread, I'll go for 'Wonky' by Orbital, a track which I absolutely loathed when I bought the album, but has really grown on me since. I still fucking hate 'Beelzedub' though, that's practically an album ruiner.

Vodka Margarine

There's a reservation for Ritual Union by Little Dragon in my eventual top ten of the decade, fo sho.

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

Twit 2

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 11, 2018, 03:15:31 PM
Lukas Graham - 7 Years

Always makes me do a little cry.

One of the few songs that can accurately be called 'shit-awful'. Sometimes I find myself hoping he's died in some sort of crash.

Also, most songs mentioned so far range between shit and tolerable - you're all too kind. Mind you, I have a soft spot for Ed Sheeran's Castle on the Hill, so can't fucking talk.

purlieu

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 11, 2018, 06:36:06 PM
Also, most songs mentioned so far range between shit and tolerable - you're all too kind.
You're a wrong bastard, you are.

Steven

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 11, 2018, 06:36:06 PM
Mind you, I have a soft spot for Ed Sheeran's Castle on the Hill, so can't fucking talk.

Get. Out.

grassbath

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 11, 2018, 03:15:31 PM
Lukas Graham - 7 Years

Always makes me do a little cry.

Soon I'll be sixty years old, my daddy got sixty-one
Remember life and then your life becomes a better one
I made a man so happy when I wrote a letter once
I hope my children come and visit once or twice a month

grassbath

Quote from: purlieu on April 11, 2018, 03:54:17 PM
Anyway, as this isn't intentionally a pop thread, I'll go for 'Wonky' by Orbital, a track which I absolutely loathed when I bought the album, but has really grown on me since. I still fucking hate 'Beelzedub' though, that's practically an album ruiner.

In the minority here probably, but I think that the first half of that album is among the best stuff they've done.