Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:48:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worzel Gummidge Remake

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 09, 2018, 04:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Normally I'd be scepticle, but after Detectorists I've a lot of faith in Mackenzie: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/worzel-gummidge-mackenzie-cook-reboot_uk_5acb3746e4b07a3485e669e2?ncid=fcbklnkukhpmg00000001

Quote'Worzel Gummidge' Set For TV Return Starring 'The Office' Star Mackenzie Cook
The walking, talking scarecrow is making a comeback.

'Worzel Gummidge' is set to return to our TV screens, it has been revealed. The children's TV show featured 'Doctor Who' star John Pertwee in the titular role in the original series, which ran between 1979 and 1981. It's now been confirmed that Mackenzie Cook, best known for his roles in 'The Office' and 'Pirates Of The Caribbean', is developing a brand new adaption of the books by Barbara Euphan Todd. It's understood that the script has yet to be written, but Mackenzie is set to play Worzel.

A spokesman for the actor told Mirror Online: "Mackenzie Crook is currently in the very early stages of developing a contemporary adaptation of Barbara Euphan Todd's original Worzel Gummidge books as a new TV series for the BBC." In the original series, Worzel would come to life and get up to mischief with children John and Susan when they would come to visit Scatterbrook Farm in the school holidays. One of Worzel's more memorable features were his interchangeable heads, made from swede, turnip and mangelwurzel, which would give him different skills.

The series made a brief comeback between 1987 and 1989 on Channel 4, which followed Worzel and his love interest Aunt Sally (played by Una Stubbs) as they relocated to New Zealand.

Glebe

Gulftastic

The original is one of the rare kids TV programme that is as good as people remember. The new one has big shoes to fill.

bgmnts

Makes sense, he looks quite like him anyway.

Danger Man

Serge

Captain Z

I feel Mackenzie Crook is just being made a straw man in this role.

biggytitbo

non capisco

Will Crook's version feature this cracking bit of dialogue from the original?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyCqi7tTl9g

I can see this working. I watched one of the original episodes not long ago and thought it definitely retained a charm, I liked how utterly and deliberately unlikable Aunt Sally actually was. I never watched it as a kid because the opening credits of him "crucified" on his perch freaked me out.

St_Eddie

I must say that Mackenzie Cook is the perfect candidate for a new take on the character.  This will be good, I reckon.

biggytitbo

Yeah, he already looks like a tramp made out of straw and turnips.

Steven

I thought they'd already done a Gummidge reboot that's on all the time, the character design has barely been updated:

purlieu

Only be good if he makes it as genuinely fucking unsettling as the original.

Custard

Keep the original theme tune, or I'm oot

Norton Canes

Crook would make a better Crowman.

Dafthead absolutely terrified me as a youngster. In fact so did the handsome head too.

Serge

It's interesting that they're making the point that the new series is to be based on the original books, rather than the TV series. I have to admit that it's a long time since I read any of them, but I seem to remember Aunt Sally being a minor character (who is actually, unsurprisingly, Worzel's aunt), so I wonder if they'll stick to that or build her up again? He's married to Earthy Mangold in the books, who I think may be mentioned in the TV version, but I'm not sure if she ever appeared.

Norton Canes

That article says it'll be a 'contemporary adaptation', which sounds disconcerting.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 10, 2018, 12:31:53 PM
That article says it'll be a 'contemporary adaptation', which sounds disconcerting.

"There's nothing like instagrammin' yer cuppa tea and nice slice o' Cake"

TheMonk

Nothing could be as frightening as this song from Pertwee's Worzel. Chilling. https://youtu.be/PBSU0JYwIvo

itsfredtitmus

sorry, norman tebbit hasnt died yet

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 10, 2018, 12:31:53 PM

The Crow Man is forced to increase his scarecrow animation programme exponentially to make up for all the Eastern European farmworkers no longer available for the picking. Featuring a cameo from James Corden as "The Voice of the People". There'll be a furore when he drowns a guy in slurry, in case it prompts kiddy attacks on the faecally allergic.

Gulftastic

Quote from: TheMonk on April 12, 2018, 12:32:47 PM
Nothing could be as frightening as this song from Pertwee's Worzel. Chilling. https://youtu.be/PBSU0JYwIvo

Holy fuck, that's amazing.

TheMonk

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 12, 2018, 03:31:01 PM
Holy fuck, that's amazing.
Isn't it bizarre. That upbeat Tijuana brass each time Worzel tells children they just might end up dead.
It's haunting my dreams.

St_Eddie

Never ever talk to a man who shoves straw down his pants.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 13, 2018, 03:22:21 AM
Never ever talk to a man who shoves straw down his pants.

Is it less disturbing to think of him as a man shoving future particles of his genitals down his pants?

I wonder if Worzel Gummidge is some kind of T-1000.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Replies From View on April 13, 2018, 10:44:33 AM
Is it less disturbing to think of him as a man shoving future particles of his genitals down his pants?

I wonder if Worzel Gummidge is some kind of T-1000.

That would make the Crowman Skynet?

kalowski

It's just about time for the Stranger Danger talk with my kids. This jaunty number will help. Especially the line, "You could just end up dead."

TheMonk

Quote from: kalowski on April 15, 2018, 10:34:46 AM
It's just about time for the Stranger Danger talk with my kids. This jaunty number will help. Especially the line, "You could just end up dead."
I find it especially offputting coming from someone who befriended two children by climbing through the roof of their caravan and forcing them to talk to him.

yesitsme

Must include.

Cup of tea an' a slice of cake.
Cake fights.
And the Ruffian Roulette of whether he's going to fall forwards or backwards at the end.

As long as they've got these things then it'll be ok.

I bet they give him laser eyes or summat.