Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:22:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Indiana Jones V

Started by St_Eddie, April 09, 2018, 07:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

I've never been that interested in fashion (plus autistic), and have spent most of the past 35 years basically wearing jeans and t-shirts. And I do have certain items of clothing I wear to do certain things - for example, I used to do a fireworks display at a school, and I always wore the same clothes (jeans, a specific black rugby shirt, and a black gilet on top) for that. Kind of a superstition thing I guess. So is it weird to me that an ageing archeologist wears similar clothes for all his, er, field trips? Not really...

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 12, 2021, 10:55:28 PM
...like if a new Bond film was solely focused on his off days when he's browsing laminate flooring in Wickes or watching Cornwall And Devon Walks With Julia Bradbury.

Not gonna lie; I'd watch the shit out of that hypothetical movie.

Harry Badger

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 13, 2021, 03:08:57 AM
Not gonna lie; I'd watch the shit out of that hypothetical movie.

Why do you think the last one is taking so long to finish? These shops have all been closed because of lockdown.

Butchers Blind

Its fine, its just his work clothes. Like someone wearing a suit to the office.

Shaky

I'd put money on the opening sequence being set during WW2, introducing the Macguffin, then jumping forward 25 years. As much as a creepily deaged Indy feels a bit galling, I think this could.work quite well.

El Unicornio, mang

The stuff with him in his outfit is just the flashback scenes, the rest of it is him walking around the Bigg Market looking for a decent kebab shop

St_Eddie

LATEST NEWS

Production today moved over to the exotic location of Hackney, London.

The make and type of the prop cars on the street suggest that this sequence is set in the swinging 60s.

Goldentony

heres what im reckoning

"whats that you got there boy, hello there dog yes its me indiana jones, whats that gold tr-oh my god jules rimet world what? oh its soccer, worthless, here - fetch"

buzby

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 15, 2021, 10:16:36 PM
The make and type of the prop cars on the street suggest that this sequence is set in the swinging 60s.[/center]
I dunno Ed, it looks more late 50s-early 60s to me. The flowing bodylines of the 1950s 'Transatlantic' styling are present, as opposed to the sharper, more European styling influences of the early and mid 60s (such as the Farina-styled BMC cars and Michelloti-styled Triumphs of that era).

The 'newest'  (i.e. the one with the latest final production date) car on there is the Rover P4 in the centre left, which ceased production in 1964, but dated back to 1949. The Standard Vanguard Vignale estate that's third on the right ceased production in 1961. The poor Austin A40 Somerset at the front right (ended production in 1954) has been terribly abused - see how the paint has washed off by petrol being spilled from the fuel filler.

Bad Ambassador

It makes sense the cars wouldn't all be from the mid-60s though, as they wouldn't all be new.

peanutbutter

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 15, 2021, 10:16:36 PM
LATEST NEWS

Production today moved over to the exotic location of Hackney, London.
My friend lives on this street, there was tons of security around up to fuck all when I popped over there last week. There's one particular house on the street that's had a fuckton of attention.

buzby

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 16, 2021, 11:38:03 AM
It makes sense the cars wouldn't all be from the mid-60s though, as they wouldn't all be new.
Only one of them is even near the mid 60s though, and the first one on the left (I can't place it at the moment, but it looks like an old post-war Jag with the separate bonnet and wings) would have been old-fashioned even in the late 50s. Added to that, most cars back then struggled to last more than 5 years before becoming bangers too, through a combination of rust and mechanical unreliability.

If it was set in the mid-60s Britain you would expect to see at least one Mk1 Mini there (launched in 1959) and probably a Morris Minor (launched in 1948 but ceased productiono in 1971) and probably soemthing like a Ford 105E Anglia (launched 1959) or Mk1 Cortina (launched 1962) as they were the most popular cars in the UK in that era. It's not like any of those would be difficult to get hold of from prop car suppliers either.

Ferris

Nearly half of all cars sold to Joe public between 1963 and 1971 were Morris/Austin 1100s.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: buzby on June 16, 2021, 09:48:47 AM
I dunno Ed, it looks more late 50s-early 60s to me. The flowing bodylines of the 1950s 'Transatlantic' styling are present, as opposed to the sharper, more European styling influences of the early and mid 60s (such as the Farina-styled BMC cars and Michelloti-styled Triumphs of that era).

The 'newest'  (i.e. the one with the latest final production date) car on there is the Rover P4 in the centre left, which ceased production in 1964, but dated back to 1949. The Standard Vanguard Vignale estate that's third on the right ceased production in 1961. The poor Austin A40 Somerset at the front right (ended production in 1954) has been terribly abused - see how the paint has washed off by petrol being spilled from the fuel filler.

Reckon that red coupe is something from a coachbuilder or definitely a Jag? Doesn't look like a Mark V

beanheadmcginty

Hispano Suiza possibly?

buzby

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 16, 2021, 12:32:38 PM
Nearly half of all cars sold to Joe public between 1963 and 1971 were Morris/Austin 1100s.
I don't think that's quite right, even with the umpteen badge-engineered variants of the ADO16. It sold 2.1m units between 1963 and 1974, with more than half of those being in the UK, There were way more than 2m cars sold in the UK between 1963 and 1974 (there were 965,410 new cars sold in 1969 alone). It was the best selling car in the UK from 1963 to 1966 and 1968 to 1971 though.

Considering the number of them sold, there are very few left these days - they rusted like it was going out of fashion, not helped by Alec Issegonis' habit of designing rust traps all over the bodyshells of his cars. It also makes them not easy to get hold of for period productions.

greenman

Its probably just trying to conform to an American image of what an upper class London street would look like, classy cars from the 40's rather than minis being what they'd view posh people as still driving.

Wouldnt be surprised is thats something to do with Wall-Bridges character, maybe were she lives or works.

St_Eddie

When I said that the scene in question was likely set in the "swinging 60s", I was simply using a descriptor as flair to say that the scene was likely set at some point in the 60s.  I hadn't been aware until reading this thread and looking it up that the swinging 60s was a period exclusively from the mid to late half of the decade.

Having said that, unless they're planning to de-age Harrison Ford throughout the entire movie to some extent (which likely wouldn't be financially or technically feasible), one would expect this movie to be largely set in the mid to late 60s, given how much Harrison has visibly aged between starring in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (set in 1957 - filmed in 2007) and now.

Quote from: greenman on June 16, 2021, 02:38:53 PM
Wouldnt be surprised is thats something to do with Wall-Bridges character, maybe were she lives or works.

Good call.  That seems very plausible.  I have also wondered if it may be where Charles Stanforth (Jim Broadbent's character) from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull now resides, having moved back to England, but we don't even know if he'll even be appearing in Indy V yet.

El Unicornio, mang

De-aging has come a long way in the past year or two. I mean, the video de-aging feature included with FaceApp is absolutely flawless and renders very quickly, and that's just a free phone app. There's also eBSynth (also free) which likewise works perfectly. That said, I doubt they'll do the whole film like that as there are other factors such as his body moving in an older way (although he's super fit for his age).

Sebastian Cobb

I think using cgi to effectively do a deepfake (read: both automatically or as a more manual 'face replace process') on to a body double has been pretty standard procedure for some time, I think it came to be common knowledge when Arnie and little John Connor's body doubles were posted in one of the many terminator cash-ins.

That would've also helped a lot in a few scenes in The Irishman. I'm not sure why they didn't do it really.

St_Eddie

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 16, 2021, 03:35:16 PM
De-aging has come a long way in the past year or two. I mean, the video de-aging feature included with FaceApp is absolutely flawless and renders very quickly, and that's just a free phone app.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 16, 2021, 04:01:57 PM
I think using cgi to effectively do a deepfake (read: both automatically or as a more manual 'face replace process') on to a body double has been pretty standard procedure for some time, I think it came to be common knowledge when Arnie and little John Connor's body doubles were posted in one of the many terminator cash-ins.

I think that you're rather confusing the point at hand; it's not that deepfakes can't be done convincingly, but rather a question of how much of the movie's runtime will be devoted to featuring deepfake technology.  The deepfakes for the first scene of Terminator: Dark Fate would have likely been worked on for a year (I certainly know that the 3 minute scene of young Arnie in Terminator: Genisys took a year to complete and was only finished one day prior to the filmmakers having to hand the final cut over to Paramount for distribution).  It's one thing to have a deepfake work its magic automatically for a fun iPhone app and another entirely to have a deepfake look completely believable, whilst avoiding the uncanny valley effect, in 4k resolution on a cinema screen.

To do a deepfake for a 5-10 minute sequence in a major Hollywood movie is a considerable time and money sink.  Though technology is getting there, I don't believe that it's currently feasible to do a convincing deepfake for the main protagonist in a movie for 2 hours straight, where the main character is being de-aged in literally every single scene.

St_Eddie

The title for the new movie has been revealed as Indiana Jones and the Edit Glitch Removal.

greenman

You look at past Indy films and really they have always tended to play around with the reveal of his character, we don't see his face for awhile in Raiders, Willies dance number in Temple, young Indy in Cursade and stuck in the trunk in Skull. I could see the new film following that and making Sgt Indy a bit mysterious early on limiting how much we see of him perhaps with more of the scene shot from the perspective of other allied soldiers meaning less CGI work is needed.

Physically I felt Ford was credible enough fighting with Gosling in BR2049 so I'd say punch ups should be ok but maybe not some of the jumping/falling stuff? I wouldnt mind seeing a more conventional car chase as a big action scene as well, you could argue Indy has never really done that dispite being Bond inspired, lots of scenes on vehicles of course but not really with the driving as the main focus.

St_Eddie

Quote from: greenman on June 16, 2021, 05:05:50 PM
You look at past Indy films and really they have always tended to play around with the reveal of his character, we don't see his face for awhile in Raiders, Willies dance number in Temple, young Indy in Cursade and stuck in the trunk in Skull. I could see the new film following that and making Sgt Indy a bit mysterious early on limiting how much we see of him perhaps with more of the scene shot from the perspective of other allied soldiers meaning less CGI work is needed.

Indeed.  I'm not doubting that Harrison Ford will be de-aged to some extent within the new movie.  Going by the leaked material, it's all but officially confirmed at this point.  However, I suspect that it will be for a flashback opening sequence, as opposed to the duration of the entire movie.  I don't think that some people appreciate the sheer workload that goes into the de-aging process for major Hollywood movies.  A 15 minute introduction sequence?  Feasible.  An entire 2 hour runtime?  Not so much.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 16, 2021, 04:14:49 PMIt's one thing to have a deepfake work its magic automatically for a fun iPhone app and another entirely to have a deepfake look completely believable, whilst avoiding the uncanny valley effect, in 4k resolution on a cinema screen.

I did a test on a 4k proper camera film (not phone) of myself using ebsynth and it looked really good. Like, if someone didn't know they would think it was a film of me when I was 18. The technique is slightly laborious, you have to render the film to individual frames (so 24 per second) then alter a few random frames and the software does the rest (takes about 1 minute per second of footage to render), then do some other subtle mods.

But like I say, that's just free software and me working alone. A team working with a more advanced version of the tech could do it, at least for the odd flashback scene, and it wouldn't take that long or be very expensive.

mothman

"Looks like Jonesy will be finding lots of artifacts in this one - from all the image processing, eh, readers?!"

Rich Uncle Skeleton

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 16, 2021, 05:13:42 PM
Indeed.  I'm not doubting that Harrison Ford will be de-aged to some extent within the new movie.  Going by the leaked material, it's all but officially confirmed at this point.  However, I suspect that it will be for a flashback opening sequence, as opposed to the duration of the entire movie.  I don't think that some people appreciate the sheer workload that goes into the de-aging process for major Hollywood movies.  A 15 minute introduction sequence?  Feasible.  An entire 2 hour runtime?  Not so much.

Again I could potentially see it being very limited though or maybe even not present at all, they could say mix Raiders and Crusades openings, we see Indy from behind in the opening sequence using the whip on Nazi's and just as he's lifting the hat we cut to old Indy.

Thomas

They could be ageing him up for a sequence set in the '90s.

Blumf

Indy was apparently born in 1899, so whatever decade of the 20th century is roughly his age.

As it stands, Harrison Ford is 78 years old, so this film should really be set in the late 1970s. I want a Jones/Sweeney[nb]Preferably a CGI John Thaw, not Ray Winstone, we've had enough of that![/nb] crossover - Indian Jones and the Shut It You Slag