Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Indiana Jones V

Started by St_Eddie, April 09, 2018, 07:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Solo was fine and little more but I thought Ehrenreich did a pretty damn decent job. Doesn't matter a jot he looks or sounds nothing like Ford; he embodied the character well.

Phoenix made a great young Indy, again despite looking nothing like Harry. The key was getting Jonesy's physicality right. He even had the man's weird, shambling run down pat.

phantom_power

Yeah Phoenix did a great physical impression of Ford without looking like he was just doing an imitation. He had the facial expressions down pat as well

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shaky on June 21, 2021, 07:59:39 AM
Phoenix made a great young Indy, again despite looking nothing like Harry. The key was getting Jonesy's physicality right. He even had the man's weird, shambling run down pat.

I agree that River Phoenix did a great job at capturing Harrison Ford's mannerisms, but I disagree that he looked nothing like Harrison.  I think that his boy scout outfit and long hair kinda throws people.  Look what happens when I photoshop Phoenix as Indy into his iconic outfit....

Comparison Ford

It's only really Phoenix's mouth shape that stops him from looking even more like Harrison.  The rest of the features are pretty close.  If I block Phoenix's mouth in the photoshop, this is the result...

You can't tell me that doesn't look like a young Harrison Ford.

mothman

Yeah but it also looks like Russell Tovey.

popcorn

Goldentony

Quote from: mothman on June 20, 2021, 03:56:25 PM
And nobody seems to complain much about the not-Ford Indy(s) in the Young IJ Chronicles either. Is that because it was TV so didn't count, do you think?

feel like this must be because nobody's actually ever seen any of them. Defining memory of these is they were all about 4 hours an episode and mostly contained talking and 'olden times' shite, so whenever they came on you knew it was time to fuck off out for a while.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Goldentony on June 22, 2021, 12:39:57 AM
feel like this must be because nobody's actually ever seen any of them. Defining memory of these is they were all about 4 hours an episode and mostly contained talking and 'olden times' shite, so whenever they came on you knew it was time to fuck off out for a while.

It was an edutainment series for young children and teens.  Each episode featured a different historical figure that Indy would encounter and it was really just a means to teach viewers about the historical importance of that person and the historical events surrounding them.  There's little entertainment to be had for adult fans of the movies, outside of novelty value.

When Lucasfilm released the remastered Indiana Jones movies on VHS, they were released alongside The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones and each VHS was given a chapter number on the side of the VHS box.  Somewhat annoyingly, they labeled the television series as Chapters 1-22 and the movies as Chapters 23-25, as though the movies were just a natural continuation of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones.  You were fooling no-one, George.

Shaky

I think we can all agree that Indy's finest moment was Ford's cameo in the TV show, where he pines for his first saxophone.

Bad Ambassador

Aired on the BBC in the early 90s, and was one of those series that would be on Saturday early evenings for a couple of months and then relegated to Sunday between On the Record and the EastEnders omnibus (qv Due South, Lois and Clark).

It's available on DVD, split into three box sets with nearly a hundred documentaries about all the people/places/events Indy encounters.

I recall the episodes set in the trenches of WWI were effective. The one where he meets a vampire, less so.

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57586672
QuoteHarrison Ford has suffered a shoulder injury while rehearsing a fight scene for the latest Indiana Jones film.

The Hollywood star has returned to the role of the all-action archaeologist at the age of 78.

The fifth and final movie in the series has been filming in the UK in recent weeks and is due for release in 2022.

Film studio Disney did not disclose the severity of Ford's injury, but said the filming schedule would be adjusted over "the coming weeks".

Thomas

forgot to de-age his shoulders

madhair60

Shaky

Maybe he'll just favour the other shoulder. He injured himself quite badly shooting Temple of Doom too.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 22, 2021, 08:58:46 AM
Aired on the BBC in the early 90s, and was one of those series that would be on Saturday early evenings for a couple of months and then relegated to Sunday between On the Record and the EastEnders omnibus (qv Due South, Lois and Clark).

It's available on DVD, split into three box sets with nearly a hundred documentaries about all the people/places/events Indy encounters.

I recall the episodes set in the trenches of WWI were effective. The one where he meets a vampire, less so.

I think it was on Saturday afternoons and then Sunday mornings for a while, I used to quite enjoy watching them then as the leisurely pace of the episodes felt more appropriate to that time of day.

In many ways I think this series was always on a hiding to nothing, as it was sold on the basis of it being a prequel to three of the most beloved films of all time, and yet was almost entirely absent of outlandish fantastical swashbuckling and wisecracking action. Perhaps if it had been able to stand on it's own without the weight of franchise expectations, it might've been looked on a bit more fondly.

There's an episode directed by Nicolas Roeg, think that might've been a WW1 one? (Just checked, it wasn't the one I was thinking of, Roeg directed the Mata Hari episode (with a script by Carrie Fisher!))

Another very memorable one is the Franz Kafka episode with Tim McInnerny as Kafka.

MattD

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 07, 2021, 08:06:41 PM
Principal photography began this week on Indiana Jones V and they're currently filming at Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland.

Joining Harrison Ford among the cast for the new movie are Mads Mikkelsen, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Thomas Kretschmann, Shaunette Renee Wilson and Boyd Holbrook.

Meanwhile, a person on Reddit (so take the following with a mountain of salt) claims to have some insider information regarding the title and general plot of the movie...

For those who aren't aware, if that leak is true (and that's a big if) then the new sequel's MacGuffin will be the Die Glocke, which was a fabled Nazi secret weapon.  The train mentioned at the beginning of the supposed synopsis would presumably be this mythological one.  It is perhaps worth noting that the synopsis above does tally with other recent rumours that the plot for Indiana Jones V would involve the space race in some way.

EDIT: A stuntman wearing a young Harrison Ford mask was spied during filming (which for those wondering, would be the foundation for a deepfake of young Ford applied in post-production).  This does align with the synopsis above.

Not going to lie, but this sounds epic so I'd hope it's true. And with Magnold's ability to tell a story that is deep and meaningful, I expect a bit more depth to this one than the awful Crystal Skull. Aspect of 'bending time' will be the Macguffin to something more prescient about mortality and ageing I wonder? I realise that takes the b-movie aspect fun away from Indy which was the whole intention of the series, but I think in today's world, people expect a bit more depth and progression from their blockbuster franchises. The cast is top drawer too so high expectations for this.

And even though I think Spielberg still makes excellent films, it's good news he's not on this one. He has failed spectacularly at the popcorn flicks after Jurassic Park. What was his forte is now his biggest weakness. God knows how, but it's like watching a cheap pastiche of his earlier work at times.

His collaborators on big budget flicks have been suspect, particularly the risible David Koepp. Have no idea what he's playing at to be honest.

Shaky

The idea of a de-aged Ford made me very queasy at first, but it's actually a canny move - one last burst of Indy in his prime, then fast forward to him in his old age. I'm tentatively excited.

Custard

So he destroyed his leg on the Force Awakens set

Flies a helicopter into the ground and nearly explodes

Now he's knacked his shoulder whilst trying to be Indiana Jones

Its almost like 80 year old men might wanna take it a bit easy

mothman

It's not completely unheard of to retire. Connery did, Hackman, even... Cameron Diaz?! And given his filmography over the past 20 years has not matched the heights of his 80s/90s heyday [nb]excepting his franchise returns, which have a certain guarantee of success hardwired in - though in the case of Blade Runner, not so much[/nb], you'd think the idea would have a certain attraction. He surely can't need the money. If he really likes acting, then do small personal projects [nb]and I mean small; if you really want to be in an adaptation of Call Of The Wild, don't be in a $150million one because that's not making its money back[/nb]. His (public) persona has always been that of someone uninterested in the trappings of fame - sooner spend time in his ranch, or go on a canal boat holiday in the UK, etc. Maybe it is just that, a public persona; maybe he really craves a return to being box office gold.

Blumf

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 27, 2021, 11:17:53 AM
So he destroyed his leg on the Force Awakens set

Flies a helicopter into the ground and nearly explodes

Now he's knacked his shoulder whilst trying to be Indiana Jones

Pretty sure he can afford the trip to Dignitas if he's really that desperate to end it all.

St_Eddie

LATEST NEWS

Whilst Harrison Ford recuperates from his shoulder injury, production has now moved to Glasgow and the streets are currently being kitted out to resemble Manhattan, New York.  Some of those set decorations are of particular note...

That's a banner for the Apollo 11 Ticker Tape Parade, which provides us with the time period the movie will be set within (potential flashback sequences aside) - Summer, 1969.

El Unicornio, mang

Limmy went and had a look

mothman

"They've turned Glasgow intae US!"

mothman

Pushed back a year. Assorted Marvel films (Thor, Strange, Black Panther, Ant-man sequels) also pushed back varying numbers of months.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/disney-delays-doctor-strange-thor-black-panther-1235091673/

Shaky

Bumpity bump

The trailer for this has leaked - won't post it here in case that's verboten, but it's on Reddit and the like (for now). Shitty quality sneaky footage from that Disney Expo but it sort of looks fun, I guess? Although the Crystal Skull trailer was fine too. This one definitely has the slightly more elegiac feel of one last hurrah, though, and a look at
Spoiler alert
Sallah and de-aged Indy.
[close]

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shaky on September 29, 2022, 01:16:18 PMBumpity bump

The trailer for this has leaked - won't post it here in case that's verboten, but it's on Reddit and the like (for now). Shitty quality sneaky footage from that Disney Expo but it sort of looks fun, I guess? Although the Crystal Skull trailer was fine too. This one definitely has the slightly more elegiac feel of one last hurrah, though, and a look at
Spoiler alert
Sallah and de-aged Indy.
[close]
I foolishly thought the "last hurrah" would be the one with "last" in the title, but here we are, over thirty years later. Like the opposite of "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins".

Glebe

Got to be an improvement on Crystal Skull, surely?!

Blumf

Quote from: Glebe on September 29, 2022, 04:03:53 PMGot to be an improvement on Crystal Skull, surely?!

Is it 2 hours of Harrison Ford making fart noises with his armpit?

Ferris

I liked Crystal Skull. It was daft and fun. Sue me.

Replies From View

It would be staggeringly good if the MacGuffin for this fifth movie of it was a pumpkin made of Dan Aykroyd's own head.