Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,345
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fleetwood Finn

Started by TheMonk, April 09, 2018, 10:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

I love Neil Finn and I really like Fleetwood Mac...
But THIS is absolute bullshit. Just knock it on the damn head!
http://variety.com/2018/music/news/fleetwood-mac-to-tour-with-neil-finn-mike-campbell-as-lindsey-buckinghams-replacements-1202748185/

Steven

Have absolutely zero interest in hearing The Mac without Lindsey Buckingham involved, they must be aware he's the main draw, he really must be insufferable to work with if they're willing to sack him and go on regardless?

Go Your Own Way Lindsey! Love this solo industrial number and stupid Gothic video with Buckingham trying to look all moody and rocking the full Kramer in Slow Dancing.

Nowhere Man

I like Neil Finn too, and enjoyed Crowded House when I saw them on the bill at Hyde Park, but honestly in this day and age can't see interest in a Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey Buckingham. (Or Peter Green, but that's a different story)

Remember a few years ago when Stevie Nicks said NO to a new record and the rest of the band released the 'Buckingham/McVie' album as a solo project? Which kind of begs the question of what is the point of the group continuing if they haven't got anything new to show for it?

"Fleetwood Mac has always been about an amazing collection of songs that are performed with a unique blend of talents," Mick Fleetwood said. "We jammed with Mike and Neil and the chemistry really worked and let the band realize that this is the right combination to go forward with in Fleetwood Mac style. We know we have something new, yet it's got the unmistakable Mac sound."

"We are thrilled to welcome the musical talents of the caliber of Mike Campbell and Neil Finn into the Mac family. With Mike and Neil, we'll be performing all the hits that the fans love, plus we'll be surprising our audiences with some tracks from our historic catalogue of songs," said the group collectively. "Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution. We look forward to honoring that spirit on this upcoming tour."

Ah. Mick wants to cash in for his pension again. I'm guessing the rest of the band will get a bigger cut out of Lindsay's departure. Funny how Mike Love's decision making to bring an end to the reunion after the 50th anniversary Beach Boys tour comes to mind.

QuoteA source close to the situation tells Variety that Buckingham did not exit voluntarily — rather, says the insider, "He was fired."

Well that's just utter bollocks isn't it? You can't just fire the guy who's a large part of the reason 70s Fleetwood Mac were so good, and call it a fucking farewell tour!

PaulTMA

Quote from: Steven on April 09, 2018, 11:32:20 PM
Have absolutely zero interest in hearing The Mac without Lindsey Buckingham involved, they must be aware he's the main draw, he really must be insufferable to work with if they're willing to sack him and go on regardless? Slow Dancing.

Going to bet it's down to him finding another band member insufferable, just a hunch

Steven

Quote from: Nowhere Man on April 09, 2018, 11:39:12 PM
Well that's just utter bollocks isn't it? You can't just fire the guy who's a large part of the reason 70s Fleetwood Mac were so good, and call it a fucking farewell tour!

Listen to their version of The Chain when they had to get two guitarists in to replace him, and what a dull, bloated load of old overproduced wank it sounds.

Compared to this performance with Buckingham tearing it up and driving the entire song with that one guitar part.

Quote from: PaulTMA on April 09, 2018, 11:49:01 PM
Going to bet it's down to him finding another band member insufferable, just a hunch

Well, yes. But I imagine Buckingham wanted to do more studio work, too, which they couldn't be arsed with when they can just rake in their pension money from another tour.

famethrowa

Ah well Neil's large adult sons are out of a job for a while then!

Oops! Wrong Planet

I saw a Fleetwood Mac feature in a music magazine once where it's revealed that Buckingham and Nicks were once in a relationship that didn't end happily and although they still love each other there's always a palpable tension between them even now. Can anyone narrow it down for me?

TheMonk

If we get a new Split Enz album with Lindsey Buckingham out of this, that might make it all OK.

famethrowa

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on April 10, 2018, 01:32:39 AM
I saw a Fleetwood Mac feature in a music magazine once where it's revealed that Buckingham and Nicks were once in a relationship that didn't end happily and although they still love each other there's always a palpable tension between them even now. Can anyone narrow it down for me?

Wait 'til Lester Bangs hears about this!

Crabwalk

It is pretty apt that they'll go out with an act of infidelity.

DrGreggles

My girlfriend said that the rest of FM can't carry on without Buckingham as "he's an original member".

Had to break it to her gently...

Shit Good Nose

As someone who is a huge fan of the original Mac (and I mean the original, with Peter Green), it amazes me just how many hardcore fans think of the Buckingham/Nicks version as the original and are barely aware that anything came before Fleetwood Mac (the '75 album).  Aside from ignoring the Green era, they're also ignoring the numerous changes between Green going mental and Buckingham and Nicks coming in.

Okay, Green's Mac may as well have been a completely different band, but even so...

Oh, and also, I don't really give a shit either way to be honest.  I have a lot of respect for Buckingham as a guitarist, singer and songwriter, but his voice has been fucked for the hard numbers for some years now, and I'm sick to death of that awful sounding semi-electric he refuses to not use.  It's like when John McLaughlin dropped the Gibson double neck in favour of that Rex Bogue monstrosity, which always sounded like it was out of tune.

Bah.

Lemming

Laughed out loud at this, and have no idea why. What the hell did he do to get fired?

So Lindsey's gone, but does Stevie even show up to anything anymore? They had to do the Buckingham/McVie album (which was pretty good) purely because she couldn't be bothered with it.

Guess we'll just have to hope for some nice Christine McVie piano songs on the next album.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 10, 2018, 07:25:50 AM
My girlfriend said that the rest of FM can't carry on without Buckingham as "he's an original member".

Had to break it to her gently...
In terms of "famous songs written or played on", he's worth a bit more than (presumed original member who I can't be bothered to look up who left after a few albums). Although I...have no idea why I'm commenting as I barely know anything other than the radio fodder. I just read the news the other morning and was quite surprised they still cared enough to fire anybody. Just collect the damn paychecks!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 10, 2018, 05:02:28 PM
In terms of "famous songs written or played on", he's worth a bit more than (presumed original member who I can't be bothered to look up who left after a few albums). Although I...have no idea why I'm commenting as I barely know anything other than the radio fodder. I just read the news the other morning and was quite surprised they still cared enough to fire anybody. Just collect the damn paychecks!

Stop pretending to not know Peter Green!

non capisco

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: non capisco on April 10, 2018, 08:05:54 PM
Oooooooooooh wee.

First interviewer to mention the split to him: "Sorry, Lindsey. C'mon man, don't be like that. C'mon Lindsey, let me know we're cool..."

thraxx

I'd forgotten what a massive bellend Mick Fleetwood is, grateful for this timely reminder.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on April 10, 2018, 01:32:39 AM

Didn't every member of stadium era Mac sleep with each other?

thraxx

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 10, 2018, 11:28:42 PM

I bet John McVie and Mick Fleetwood are still at it like knives every night.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 10, 2018, 11:28:42 PM

I was being unsubtly ironic. It comes up in every single piece on them.

The live pantomime of meaningful stares between Buckingham and Nicks when the band perform 'You Can Go Your Own Way' and 'Dreams' got old so quickly.

Wasn't Buckingham Nicks the title of Paul Burrell's autobiography?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 10, 2018, 07:09:29 PM
Stop pretending to not know Peter Green!
Sorry, I do like "Oh Well", but if you held a gun to my head I couldn't name another Fleetwood Mac song from before Buckingham and Nicks joined. Also, I'd wonder why you were holding a gun to my head over something so trivial.

famethrowa

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 11, 2018, 03:22:48 AM
Sorry, I do like "Oh Well", but if you held a gun to my head I couldn't name another Fleetwood Mac song from before Buckingham and Nicks joined. Also, I'd wonder why you were holding a gun to my head over something so trivial.

ALBATROSS! come on

famethrowa

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 10, 2018, 03:41:49 PM
I'm sick to death of that awful sounding semi-electric he refuses to not use.

Thank you! Finally someone else says the great blasphemy. Yeah that guitar sucks, it's rubber band string sound should stay back in the 80s where it belongs.

Also, are Fleetwood and McVie the 2 luckiest bastards in rock history? Are they up there with Graham Nash, Mike Love, Nick Mason et al?

TheMonk

Pour yourself a beverage and let this wash over you.
https://youtu.be/aey4OXVkUTQ
The rest of the band must be so frustrated he'd choose karaoke on Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow over this. His last solo album shows he's still got the writing chops too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 11, 2018, 03:22:48 AM
Also, I'd wonder why you were holding a gun to my head over something so trivial.

That's the chap.

colacentral

Anyone else can't help but sing "tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies (tell me porky pies)" whenever they listen to that song?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: thraxx on April 10, 2018, 10:46:33 PM
I'd forgotten what a massive bellend Mick Fleetwood is, grateful for this timely reminder.

Buckingham is, apparently, quite the bellend as well, mind.

Steven

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on April 11, 2018, 12:27:39 AM
The live pantomime of meaningful stares between Buckingham and Nicks when the band perform 'You Can Go Your Own Way' and 'Dreams' got old so quickly.

Pantomime? Why, such cheek! They obviously don't cynically pull that shit in almost every performance together as some lame 'fan service'!

Quote from: famethrowa on April 11, 2018, 05:07:59 AM
Thank you! Finally someone else says the great blasphemy. Yeah that guitar sucks, it's rubber band string sound should stay back in the 80s where it belongs.

Yes, what the fuck tone is that? Sounds dreadful.