Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:21:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which Sitcom Has The Best Bottle Episodes?

Started by neveragain, April 10, 2018, 11:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 14, 2018, 07:57:05 PM
That's such an inspired moment of mundane observational comedy. It's something every single person on the planet has done at some point - idly checking your teeth when no one else is around, and not being sure if it's your fingers or molars that are moving - but Galton & Simpson were the only people who thought of writing it down.
Absolutely. It's such a magical line, it's stuck with me ever since I first saw it.

New page:  A - Cup - Of - Tea

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 14, 2018, 08:21:02 PM
Trying too remember when anyone left the bar and all I can  thunk of is them decorating someone's apartment.

They first left the bar in first episode of the second series and did so fairly regularly after that. I think the setting makes it virtually impossible for Cheers to have anything that could be described as a bottle episode as that suggests they are using only the main set as a money saver which goes out the window when virtually every scene is based there anyway. Maybe bottle series is appropriate for Cheers season one.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 14, 2018, 07:58:04 AM
I'm fairly certain Sunny did another Bottle Episode other than "Goes To Hell Pt. 2" ... possibly the one where they quarantine themselves? 

The one where they get held hostage? Although it does feature the McPoyle's so maybe doesn't count

easytarget

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 13, 2018, 10:48:04 AM
Brooklyn Nine-Nine did a fine episode two weeks ago, with just two sets and four actors (including the lawyer) for the bulk of the story, plus two cameos by members of the regular cast to bookend the episode.

Just watched this, it's a belter. Tough going when that show gets a lot of jokes from the very talented ensemble cast but this really worked.
The dentist was a great dead-pan actor and the script and frantic cutting really gave it a tight, claustrophobic feel.

I also love that feeling that dawns about 4 minutes into a show "Oooh! This is a bottle episode!"

Quote from: MattD on April 14, 2018, 12:18:22 AM
The first episode of Going Straight, the sequel to Porridge. I haven't watched the rest of the series (not really interested to be honest) but the first episode consists of Fletch being released from prison and finding himself on a train with the recently retired Mackay.

Saw this again a few weeks ago. I adore Porridge but I think this beats any episode in that show (even "A Night In") but this might be because I've only seen the first episode of Going Straight a couple of times and Porridge is very familiar.
(Big drop off in quality after the first Going Straight, feels much more like a trad 70s sit com, it's *fine*, even though that plonker Rodney is in it).

neveragain

Lead Balloon had a remarkable one with Robbie Coltrane (a two-hander in a hostage situation). Never thought much of the series besides that one.

itsfredtitmus

The first episode of GS is all-timer, the rest is sadly pretty minor

Autopsy Turvey

Of course there was also Hancock's Half Hour 'The Sleepless Night', where Hancock spends half an hour trying to get to sleep. As an old insomniac from way back that was my fave radio ep in my youth. I love Sid singing opera to himself, and the courting couple on a motorbike outside the window, and the whole wrong number/burglar scenario.

Cuellar

Must be a fair few Hancocks. The Radio Ham?

Autopsy Turvey

Yes indeed, three episodes of the 1961 Hancock series fit the bill. And these weren't brought about for budget reasons or because another script had to be dropped, they were entirely artistic exercises. Also of course, The Poetry Society is set entirely in one room. Mind you, as I remember it, many episodes of Till Death Us Do Part were set in one room.

The Wikipedia page for this phenomenon makes no mention of Hancock, even though it does say "Archer's Season 6, Episode 5, Vision Quest, features seven of the eight major cast members stuck in an elevator in real time." Wherever did they get that idea, the sodding hip American geniuses?

Steptoes_Son

The Desperate Hours from Steptoe and Son is an excellent bottle episode. Galton and Simpson were the masters of the form. As previously mentioned The Bedsitter is an astonishing tour de force.

Ferris

Peep Show in Zara's flat's vestibule.

The Area, The "nutritious, delicious pizza", Mark trying to kick the bloody door down. It's magic.