Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:04:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yet another VERY vague comedy memory: 90s spoof of Cathy Come Home?

Started by ajsmith2, April 10, 2018, 12:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Pretty sure this was a 90s British sketch show, think it starred one woman comedian. Had a similar approach to French and Saunders but I'm fairly certain it wasn't them, just had the one star. Or maybe the woman who starred in the one sketch I recall was one of many stars of the sketch show, but she was the focus of the one sketch I can recall.  Anyhow, the one sketch I recall was a black and white parody of 60s kitchen sink dramas and films, specifically Cathy Come Home. Woman comedian star was pushing a pram around in black and white with a dour voiceover and generally spoofing that kind of genre. and I think the sketch ended with her lined up behind tons of other 60s single mums pushing prams, the joke being that she was just one of many kitchen sink stars all lining up for their moment of fame or something.

Anyhow, I know it's vague as anything, but wondering if that rang any bells for anyone?

neveragain

Chriddof

The only two things I can think of that might have it, and I'm not sure of either of these, is Josie Lawrence's solo sketch show "Josie" (from 1991) and Jane Horrocks' one-off special Never Mind The Horrocks (1996).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Could it be this Harry Enfield one?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZQSQsAA_Ts

Chriddof

Just suddenly remembered that KYTV did something like this, but it was more about spoofing Georgy Girl...

Absorb the anus burn

ajsmith2

Quote from: Chriddof on April 10, 2018, 07:46:13 PM
The only two things I can think of that might have it, and I'm not sure of either of these, is Josie Lawrence's solo sketch show "Josie" (from 1991) and Jane Horrocks' one-off special Never Mind The Horrocks (1996).

Found it! You were right, it is indeed Josie Lawrence's 'Josie' from 1991, first sketch in this clip;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcSNsYXye6Q

Turns out I misremembered it pretty badly, but the last scene with the prams proves it's definitely the source of my memory. It's in colour for one thing, and it's more of a general spoof of Swinging London films than Cathy Come Home. Quite interesting to watch in retrospect: it's very basic reference humour of the kind you really wouldn't get away with these days but that was much more acceptable in the 80s and 90s. where making a semi specific cultural reference was enough to be the whole joke; watched today, it comes across more as an excuse for Josie to live out her 60s glamour puss dreams on screen than something that would have screamed comedy gold from the page.

Chriddof

Glad I could help. I know what you're saying about that 80s / 90s reference thing - reminds me in a way of that Open University sketch in an early episode of A Bit Of Fry & Laurie where the actual joke (the most minor, trivial mistake treated as the kind of thing that would get featured on It'll Be Alright On The Night) is completely swamped by the late 80s audience's hysteria at the fact that Stephen and Hugh are both wearing flares.

kalowski

Quote from: Chriddof on April 15, 2018, 07:13:20 PM
Glad I could help. I know what you're saying about that 80s / 90s reference thing - reminds me in a way of that Open University sketch in an early episode of A Bit Of Fry & Laurie where the actual joke (the most minor, trivial mistake treated as the kind of thing that would get featured on It'll Be Alright On The Night) is completely swamped by the late 80s audience's hysteria at the fact that Stephen and Hugh are both wearing flares.

That's still a funny sketch.

Chriddof

Quote from: kalowski on April 15, 2018, 08:25:55 PM
That's still a funny sketch.

It is a very funny sketch, I wasn't saying otherwise. It's just that the audience appear to get more enjoyment out of the fact that they're dressed in full 1973-era gear than the actual writing. (Although the reveal gets a big laugh too, to be fair.) The same sketch now would still be good, but people would just accept the clothes. Anyway, I don't want to get into an argument or anything about this.