Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New (genuine) Dr Octagon album! Where did that come from?!?!

Started by kngen, April 10, 2018, 02:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

The real deal, with Dan the Automator and Q-Bert - didn't know a thing about this until I got an email from the PR company, and it's already been out for 4 days!

Listening to it on Spotify right now - it's obviously not going to move planets like the first one, but pretty solid so far.

Barry Admin

This is have to hear! Still gutted I never got to see Koll Keith at Glato that time.

kngen

alan nagsworth

The closest Keith came to putting out something decent was the Time? Astonishing! collaboration with L'Orange in 2015, and even that was pretty lacklustre. Feature Magnetic from 2016 proved that he struggles to write a full song and needs guests to prop him up. After hearing the lead-up track Octagon Octagon, which follows the same one line formula throughout and even then Keith can't write something fully decent and accomplished in that simple formula, my expectations for this (or, at least Keith's bars) are extremely low.

Dr. Octagonecologyst is my favourite hip hop album of all time, and I sincerely hope this is actually a good sequel, because Deltron 3030 is another supreme favourite, and their sequel album fucking sucked as well.

kngen

I thought Magnetic Pimp Force Field was a lot of fun, with some nice Dirty South production, but - like you say - a LOT of guests on it.

This was never going to touch Octagonecologyst because that is probably the best hip-hop album of all time, and there's a fair bit of fan service/blatant rehashing on it, but definitely less of a disappointment than the Deltron follow-up. Also, no Damon Albarn!

alan nagsworth

Yeah, listened to it today, it's crap. Dan the Automator's production is way too beat heavy and overall quite dull to be honest, and Keith, who admittedly here is a damn sight more fluent and weird than he has been in many years, still doesn't deliver anything anywhere near as grotesque, hilarious, unsettling or downright Bill Burroughs as he did on Octagonecologyst. Flying Waterbed is probably the best song, and there's one or maybe two others here that are reasonably good, but the rest is not on point at all.

I really don't understand people who are willing to applaud the effort just because some new material is better than none, and it isn't quite as bad as the the sound of a massive 10ft arse being eviscerated with a deep sea drill, so hey that's nice in't it, Andy? The comeback is fucking pointless. Go on tour and do the old shit again if you have to, but stop dumping on your flawless one-album legacy. DELTRON 3030 I AM ALSO LOOKING AT YOU. You nailed it once, as a standalone work it is a fucking masterpiece, you're involved in all sorts of other projects, so bloody LEAVE IT ALONE.

Anyway I've been tediously hoping for ages now that Keith will have one last hurrah, as he's been stupidly prolific but monumentally naff for like ten years or more, and the last glimmer of that hope was probably resting on this album. I really don't think I can be arsed any more.