Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:54:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

All of Comic Relief 1988 is on youtube

Started by Replies From View, April 12, 2018, 12:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genevieve

Nice one.  I went to school dressed as a fairy and my brother went as Baldrick in Blackadder III.  Despite all that effort my Mum couldn't be arsed to go to the shops so just put lipstick on our noses, somewhat missing the point.

Small Man Big Horse

Lordy, I remember the excitement back then each new Comic Relief would bring. Ah, to be fourteen again. And thanks for posting the links, I look forward to watching some of this later tonight.

DrGreggles

Probably haven't seen 95% of that since it went out.
I recall it being a mostly enjoyable shambles.

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 12, 2018, 11:42:27 AM
Lordy, I remember the excitement back then each new Comic Relief would bring.

I was quite obsessed with the initial range of Red Noses, starting with the plain but rose scented one, which I remember them talking about on Blue Peter but I never had, then the one with hands and the tomato one.

I remember very clearly expecting the one with hands to have some kind of smell to it, because I didn't see why the thing they'd hyped on Blue Peter shouldn't still apply.  I was so disappointed that the nose with hands lacked a smell that I started spraying the inside of it with Glade air freshener.  Hardly made any difference and I felt like it was probably harming me, so I stopped after a while.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Glebe will need sedating 58 minutes in.

I just recall Lenny Henry hitting Griff Rhys Jones in the face with a custard pie at the start and laughing; then Henry trying to look all sympathetic when talking to a boy in some famine-hit area, and some sort of repetitive comedy-themed animated ident recurring again and again.

Genevieve

In the modern internet parlance, Philip at 32:15 of part one is our spirit animal/giving me life etc.

Replies From View

Here are some pages from the Radio Times that accompanied Comic Relief 1988:

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Thank you for sharing all of this, Replies. The anything goes excitement of those first few live Comic Relief telethons are a particularly fond childhood memory.

Dead Soon

Quote from: Replies From View on April 12, 2018, 12:20:48 AM
Plus 'The Pick Of The Nose' 1998 video compilation:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbSHEN1kQsk

What a tape that was.

It was years before I realised that the Comic Relief version of 'Living Doll' was not the original and definitive release, I remember wanting my parents to buy a compilation which listed the Cliff Richard solo original assuming it to contain the bellowing courtesy of Rik and co.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 12, 2018, 10:02:11 PM
Thank you for sharing all of this, Replies. The anything goes excitement of those first few live Comic Relief telethons are a particularly fond childhood memory.

You're very welcome!

I'm not the uploader of the videos of course, but I took those photos of the Radio Times yesterday.  Unfortunately I had to make do with a lack of decent light, and I hope their resolution leaves them sharp enough to read.  I found the file size shrinking when I emailed them to myself, for some reason, so they are blurrier than intended.

In case anyone's not aware, I've also regularly been sharing Radio Times pages in the (spam) thread.  Check it out if you're interested in this kind of thing.

Here is a pdf i just made of the 1991 Comic Relief Comic. sorry for the blurry images, its the best I can do taking phone images.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/jn3ohz

biggytitbo

This is the first studio one in the modern format isn't it? I remember it well, comic relief was such an exciting thinh back then, good even until relatively recently when  it became more celeb focused. Don't think I've bothered with it for a couple of editions now.

Replies From View

Here are pages from four issues of the Radio Times covering the 1988, 1989, 1991 and 1993 iterations of Comic Relief.  All are in .pdf format, and the 1988 issue from earlier in the thread now has sharper images using better lighting (as my previous attempt annoyed me).  I've no idea why the .pdf files are so large by the way; perhaps something to do with the process of converting them from .heic image files?  Anyway; enjoy!

The Plain Red Nose
Radio Times 30 Jan - 5 Feb 1988

https://mega.nz/#!u6pwmb4Q!R_HagqBT3WwIfY2o1zs9Rm2ciWstI8CRoSjOfmQvGyo

Red Nose Day 2
Radio Times 4-10 March 1989

https://mega.nz/#!i3QlGbCY!SZliP16GQ26T_-eeFXwjM1dEdJ4c_-4Yb7PkObG_HzU

The Stonker
Radio Times 9-15 March 1991

https://mega.nz/#!OrQWyATA!iVybxBASUwovIjQuAdjx4i2wSo9VFdcR1fDicLyJ_gc

The Invasion of the Comic Tomatoes
Radio Times 6-12 March 1993

https://mega.nz/#!m7o2wCxB!2A23ZeuzjCtnydvnLsK7_6e40_8v_QU2n1OBCrgVF-8

jobotic

I looked at this at work, stopping at random places to see what was happening. At one point I went from a report on famine in Africa, to Jim Davidson in a studio. What the fuck was he doing there? His Chalky voice?

Quote from: jobotic on April 14, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
Jim Davidson in a studio. What the fuck was he doing there? His Chalky voice?

That's lazy comedy, doing cliched stereotypes of Jim Davidson.

Replies From View

It's funny how most people can only keep their red nose on for a few seconds before they give up on it.  The ones who've managed to keep it on look constipated as they struggle not to move their face too much.

Replies From View

During the Michael Palin segment, when he was riffing on absurd film projects he was working on, I realised that A Fish Called Wanda hadn't yet been released.

Interesting what an in-between time it was, with the old guard of working-men's club showbiz guys like Jim Davidson and Little & Large rubbing shoulders with Lenny Henry, Griff Rhys Jones, Rory Bremner and Nigel Planer.

Ghost Dad

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

neveragain

Quote from: Replies From View on April 15, 2018, 12:57:14 PM
During the Michael Palin segment, when he was riffing on absurd film projects he was working on, I realised that A Fish Called Wanda hadn't yet been released.

Whereabouts does he appear? I've flicked through a few times and not found him. Haven't had time to watch it all yet, although I do like the fact they actually filmed a load of sketches to go through the night (as well as having comedy guests and indeed showing classic comedy clips). These days it's just a presenter riffing mirthlessly for an hour or two before a load of newsreaders and Apprentice judges come on to do a dance. Or worse still, Gary Barlow.

Replies From View

Quote from: neveragain on April 16, 2018, 03:36:49 PM
Whereabouts does he appear?

The Part 2 video, starting at 42 minutes, 48 seconds.  Then he's back shortly after the 51 minutes mark.

neveragain