Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

God of War

Started by madhair60, April 12, 2018, 11:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Reviews are coming in, universally positive, 10s, 9s. Looking fantastic, can't wait. Eight days

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Angry man hits things with blades axe in Greece Norway.

Dannyhood91

I hope this is good and not shit.

itsfredtitmus

I hope it's shit so you won't enjoy it

brat-sampson

100% in. I was wavering when they first unveiled it (I mean, a beard? an over-the-shoulder camera angle??? a KID?!?) but reviews look insanely high, the studio's got pedigree and I'm ready for an in-depth, structured SP journey through an incredible-looking world.

itsfredtitmus

Saw a comparison to TLoS
Hmm

Penfold

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 12, 2018, 04:27:59 PM
Saw a comparison to TLoS
Hmm

TSOL?

Interesting soundtrack choice. Thought it would be more Finntroll or something.

I'm probably going to wait a month or two for this, there is Yakuza 6 out on Tuesday and my copy of the new Fist of the North Star game should be arriving at the same time. That'll keep me occupied, and I started playing GOW Chains of Olympus yesterday because I am very interested in my old PSP recently.

wooders1978

One of my favourite series in gaming - I have very high expectations on this

Twed

Noodle Lizard

See, I'm kind of dreading it.  GoW3 is one of the funnest games ever, barely a dull moment.  The story is simple, and entirely in service of the gameplay (basically "what's the shortest route to get him from fighting one God to another?")

Now there's this.  There's this trend in games to make them all very po-faced and gritty, and it's fine to have games like that, but it's taken a couple of franchises formerly focused on "fun" down with it.  From what I've seen of this, it's gonna be a lot of ponderous staring, weird dialogue stirpped from bad modern movies, that trite "woman wailing over some strings and percussion" score that's been in every "ancient" movie/game since Gladiator, the pretense of focusing on "emotional beats" and "human stories" in a franchise about a mad bloodthirsty demigod.  Maybe they'll let us do some fighting at some point, I dunno.

Fuck The Last Of Us, basically.  If I never saw another kid as a main character in a video game, I'd be happy with that.

biggytitbo

It's not a true God of War game unless it has bad ps2 era cgi boobies in it, imho.

Cuellar

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 12, 2018, 04:27:59 PM
Saw a comparison to TLoS
Hmm

The ancient ruined Lycian hilltop citadel near the resort town of Kalkan in the Antalya Province of southern Turkey, some 4 kilometres northwest of Saklikent Gorge?

Mobius

The reviews have been great but they all talk about how deep it is. So there'll be loads and loads of cutscenes and long pauses where nothing happens then... like it's a movie.

I just want to fuck gods up, not have to worry about some little scrote

falafel

No cut scenes, apparently - all done from the in-game camera. Sure there will be plenty of moments where control is wrested away, though.

biggytitbo

Or you get to run around pushing stuff over and throwing things whilst the other character is trying to tell you something important.

The Roofdog

Anyone played this yet? Limmy didn't like it. I'm suffering from Witcher 3 withdrawal though so I think I'll give it a go.

brat-sampson

Eh, Limmy's a career contrarian. In fairness, the first hour+ is pretty slow, so ripe for taking the piss out of if you were hoping to get into the action immediately and don't want to be asked to care about the actual protagonists.

This is enormous, ambitious, gorgeous and fantastic fun. Combat feels excellent and the variability of your combat options is nice. I'm always wondering which attributes to focus on, which runes/attacks to have equipped, where to focus my skill points etc. I love how even though it retains little of previous GoW titles, Kratos himself still shines through. He's mellowed a little, but only through time. He's become more tired, but is still constantly gruff, serious and on the brink of unleashing his furies at whatever happens to be nearby.

It feels closest to an older Zelda game. Say, OoT/twighlight Princess. There are little puzzles for chests dotted around everywhere, there's some Metroidvania-style gear progression elements where you know you'll be coming back to areas so you can get through some barrier you can't progress past just now. The combat's clearly better than anything Zelda's ever done though. The windy linking world design and sense of exploration is great too, side-quests feel rare enough to allow for them all to have meaning and value, and there's no 'go kill five draughr that have been irritating my nephew' or that kinda thing. Aso somebody who loves this kind of SP-focused adventure game, this might be the best thing I've played since BotW. Thankfully it's not open-world, it's largely a focused game, based around a linear narrative, but some of the areas are big enough to go exploring in and I'm always willing to get sidetracked while I work out how to solve a rune puzzle or access that thing I can see over there. For this alone I prefer it to, say, Horizon, which I really enjoyed playing through but would always feel a little overwhelmed at that map full of shite. They've taken pieces from a bunch of successful games and franchises, injected them into a fascinating a richly-storied world, courtesy of existing Norse Mythology, and then honed everything to perfection. If anything, the thing it reminds me of most is Darksiders, if Darksiders was better.

Pretty sure I've a long way to go to, though I must be 8-10 hrs in at this point. For anyone else playing I'm currently in the mine below the Mountain, so I think nearing the summit. At which point I'm intrigued to see how this whole thing will explode outwards, because there are already so many clear options for it to do so...

bgmnts

I must admit I have seen around 45 minutes of gameplay and it looks very good. A combination of good mechanics before it.

Plus obviously the mixing of Greek and Norse mythology is boner inducing to nerds.

Its a shame such a game is wasted on such an abysmal game series protagonist.

biggytitbo

I agree, this game would be much better with Woody Allen in the lead role.

Space ghost

wasp_f15ting

Played several hours of this. Brilliant... but feels like God Of Tombraider rather than true GoW..

brat-sampson

Kratos is less of an all-out fucking douchebag in this one. Still a grumpy old asshole, but his rage has been restrained a tad, especially out of combat, and he's generally encouraging towards the boy. They also take him a little less seriously, with his poor storytelling ability, lack of any sort of tact in social interactions etc being played more for laughs, while remaining true to the character. Like, yeah, he *would* act like this. Atrius strays a little to close to the wise-cracking America videogame sidekick trope at times for someone brought up in this beautiful but dangerous land of Norse mythology, but at other times he's easy to feel bad for, and has clearly had a rough time of it all. Plus it helps that he's genuinely and visibly helpful in combat, with moves you can control and decent AI.

mobias

Apparently the 5.1 sound design is something to behold and worth getting a surround sound set up for. The sound design team for this game was huge.

Intersting article here about how they made that flying axe mechanic. https://combatrecall.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/recalling-leviathan-axe-after-spending.html

bgmnts

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on April 23, 2018, 07:33:00 PM
Played several hours of this. Brilliant... but feels like God Of Tombraider rather than true GoW..

It looks like the Last God of Us from what I have seen but with some more traditional gameplay.

brat-sampson

Tbh it doesn't *feel* anything like TLOU. The entire atmosphere of the game is more of a grand adventure, compared to post-apocalypse/dread, and Atrius isn't the last hope of mankind or some vulnerable kid to be protected at all costs, he's there because he wants to be, and because, well, he's useful. You often get the impression Kratos would've left him at home given the choice, but he grudgingly accepts the help and perhaps, under it all, actually does have a soft spot for the little guy. Also the gameplay's entirely different, aside from sometimes having to heft him up a wall so he can drop down a chain, in which case, screw it, you could just say it's the same as RE4. I anything it feels more like RE4 in terms of the incredible pacing and constant willingness to mix things up and be inventive, something TLOU often lacked.

Mobius

I basically hate all games nowadays because they're uninspired and repetitive, but this is pretty fucking mint.

Probably the best gfx I've seen. The landscape is beautiful, the weather effects etc are amazing.. Not quite Open World, but a genuine sense of exploration when you work your way into a hidden area. Which then opens up into more areas. Even little dead end paths with a chest feel well designed. The way the story unfolds and the 'cutscenes' meld perfectly into the gameplay, like even when you lose control of the character you still feel you're playing the game.

Throwing that axe about is tremendous fun. Such an ace weapon.

I hated The Last Of Us. Not really arsed about stories in games, just want to kill stuff. But this is fucking brilliant.

bgmnts

Quote from: brat-sampson on April 23, 2018, 11:14:24 PM
Tbh it doesn't *feel* anything like TLOU. The entire atmosphere of the game is more of a grand adventure, compared to post-apocalypse/dread, and Atrius isn't the last hope of mankind or some vulnerable kid to be protected at all costs, he's there because he wants to be, and because, well, he's useful. You often get the impression Kratos would've left him at home given the choice, but he grudgingly accepts the help and perhaps, under it all, actually does have a soft spot for the little guy. Also the gameplay's entirely different, aside from sometimes having to heft him up a wall so he can drop down a chain, in which case, screw it, you could just say it's the same as RE4. I anything it feels more like RE4 in terms of the incredible pacing and constant willingness to mix things up and be inventive, something TLOU often lacked.

Fair enough. Sounds bang tidy.

Is the first boss fight Baldr? My knowledge of Norse mythology leads me to believe its Baldr from what i've seen.

brat-sampson

Technically first boss fight's a troll...

Spoilers for first hour+ish:
Then at the end of the tutorial section you get paid a visit by a character known only as The Stranger, a bearded gentleman capable of dishing out quite the pounding and who apparently doesn't feel any pain.

And spoilers for that:
Only about 10+ hours in do you discover that, yes, that was Baldur, son of Odin, brother of Thor, who's taken quite the interest in you and your boy, for reasons unknown. Though it does seem he might know a fair bit about Kratos as well...

brat-sampson

GOTY material. No doubt. After some of the stuff I've just done, GOTY. Also, yes, it's still absolutely, 100% God of Fucking War.