Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:14:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP W1A's Alex Beckett

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 12, 2018, 05:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Not someone I know a huge amount about, but it's a shockingly young age to go: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43737714

QuoteW1A actor Alex Beckett dies aged 35

The actor Alex Beckett - who played Barney Lumsden from Perfect Curve in BBC comedy W1A - has died suddenly, his agent has confirmed. Beckett, 35, was also known for his theatre work and had been starring in The Way of the World at the Donmar Warehouse since last month. The rest of this week's shows have been cancelled as a mark of respect.

He was described by acting agent Gavin Denton-Jones as "a wonderful man and a hugely talented actor". He added: "Our thoughts are with his family and we kindly ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult time." The Welsh actor had been playing Waitwell in the restoration comedy by William Congreve, first performed in 1700. It opened to positive reviews last week, having been in previews since 29 March. It is due to run until 26 May.

Shane Allen, controller of comedy commissioning at the BBC, said: "We're all incredibly crushed to hear of Alex's untimely death. "He was a very prolific, versatile and much admired comedy star whose role as Barney Lumsden in both Twenty Twelve and W1A was a key ingredient of their success. "We think of him fondly and our hearts go out to his family and friends at this painfully sad time."

In W1A and Twenty Twelve, Beckett's character was part of the quirky brand consultancy agency Perfect Curve, led by Jessica Hynes, who played PR Siobhan Sharpe. Hynes said she was "so sad he is gone".

And then there's a whole bunch of twitter tributes after that.

BlodwynPig

I liked him in those shows, the other guys and girl from Perfect Curve were the highlights, not Jessica. A suppose a modern meditation on Sugar Ape.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Sad news, 35 is no age. He seemed to be cropping up on TV more frequently of late, he should've had a long, comfortable career of character acting ahead of him.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 12, 2018, 06:46:51 PM
I liked him in those shows, the other guys and girl from Perfect Curve were the highlights, not Jessica. A suppose a modern meditation on Sugar Ape.

Jessica Hynes' performance in Twenty Twelve and W1A was so painfully accurate, I found it hard to laugh at that character. I've met so many media drones who are exactly like that, they're insufferable.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 12, 2018, 06:56:46 PM
Sad news, 35 is no age. He seemed to be cropping up on TV more frequently of late, he should've had a long, comfortable career of character acting ahead of him.

Jessica Hynes' performance in Twenty Twelve and W1A was so painfully accurate, I found it hard to laugh at that character. I've met so many media drones who are exactly like that, they're insufferable.

the awkwardness of her supporting colleagues, especially Fry, was great. Beckett pretty much underused. Pascoe getting the most line-time.

willpurry

Liked the way he peered in the fridge in episode 1 of "Love, Nina".