Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:29:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Unpopular' Opinions (That Are Secretly Popular)

Started by DrGreggles, April 13, 2018, 12:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

'Stairway to Heaven' is fucking boring for the first 5 minutes.

Shaky

Metallica did plenty of great stuff after their first four "classic" albums (eg. Load is fucking great).

Kane Jones

Quote from: Shaky on April 13, 2018, 12:11:26 PM
(eg. Load is fucking great).

Agreed, I prefer it to 'black' any day of the week. I still think Lightning and Puppets are their masterpieces though.

Fabian Thomsett

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 13, 2018, 12:11:08 PM
beatles stink

The thing with The Beatles is that, no matter how hard I might have tried in the past, they've always left me completely unmoved.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on April 13, 2018, 01:50:51 PM
The thing with The Beatles is that, no matter how hard I might have tried in the past, they've always left me completely unmoved.
new seekers are berter

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on April 13, 2018, 01:50:51 PM

Nursery rhymes essentially.

SteveDave

Norton Canes

The thing with the Beatles is that for every aspect of their music for which they're fêted, there's another group who did that thing better. Want plaintive songs about people's melancholy lives? Kinks mate. Want a band who defined a decade with chart conquering pop hit after chart conquering pop hit? Abba mate. Want a band whose influence stretched down the generations and inspired many new genres of music? Kraftwerk mate. Want a group that pushed the boundaries of what was technically possible with music? BBC Radiophonic Workshop mate.

Admittedly no band did all the things The Beatles did. But they weren't the best at any of them.

(plus yes they were just so fucking anodyne)

Head Gardener

Queen are one of the best British bands of the last 45 years

Lemming

Early R.E.M (Murmur and Reckoning) is vastly better than what followed, including Green

Also echoing the "Beatles are shit" sentiment

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 13, 2018, 02:52:11 PM
The thing with the Beatles is that for every aspect of their music for which they're fêted, there's another group who did that thing better. Want plaintive songs about people's melancholy lives? Kinks mate. Want a band who defined a decade with chart conquering pop hit after chart conquering pop hit? Abba mate. Want a band whose influence stretched down the generations and inspired many new genres of music? Kraftwerk mate. Want a group that pushed the boundaries of what was technically possible with music? BBC Radiophonic Workshop mate.

Admittedly no band did all the things The Beatles did. But they weren't the best at any of them.

All that in one record.

Brundle-Fly

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Lemming on April 13, 2018, 03:22:28 PM
Early R.E.M (Murmur and Reckoning) is vastly better than what followed, including Green

Ditto The Cure, it seems, to me. I don't really know anything about them but I've heard their late '80s stuff, and the hits of course, and they don't really do anything for me... but Faith is a great album.

Also, because this is a common point of contention on here: Bohemian Rhapsody is a fucking BELTER.

Dr Rock

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 13, 2018, 05:07:09 PM
Harold Shipman did nothing wrong.

You clearly haven't heard his ninth solo album then.

Absorb the anus burn

Television drama was much better when it was made on three cameras, vision mixed from a studio gallery.

Nowhere Man

Wings was the band The Beatles could have been

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 13, 2018, 02:52:11 PM

not having this kinks are better than the beatles lark

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on April 13, 2018, 05:35:07 PM
Television drama was much better when it was made on three cameras, vision mixed from a studio gallery.
Claudius is good, but nae. Only goes for sitcoms that

Nowhere Man

Despite Townshend's pretentions I really do like The Who a lot these days. Well not counting those last few dull as dishwater albums,  songs like Eminence Front, You Better You Bet aside. But apart from those glorious singles, So Sad About Us alone is a fucking gem of a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E5d-G-hFLo

I even like the ROCK stuff, although The Who Sell Out and Quadrophenia are my favourites.

The Rolling Stones, I still can't figure out that much. Obviously they have a lot of great songs, but they come off as a pretty humourless bunch at the best of times.

non capisco

Quote from: Lemming on April 13, 2018, 03:22:28 PM

Yup. The 'Chronic Town' EP is probably my favourite thing they did, with the first two LPs close joint seconds. I'm not wild about any of the Warner Bros stuff these days aside from quite a lot of 'Automatic For The People' and 'Country Feedback' off 'Out Of Time'. They were my favourite band for a few of my teenage years and the first stretch of their career still sounds magic but relistening today I tend to go off 'em around 'Document'.

RenegadeScrew

Prince made one decent album, and even then it was too long and had crap on it like 'play in the sunshine'.  Purple Rain (the song and the album) is utterly dreadful.  Prince made some good singles.  D'Angelo has made 3 albums and 2 of them are better than any Prince album.

Elvis is mysteriously overrated with some decent early stuff but even that isn't anything to get excited about.

The best Hendrix stuff is with the band of gypsys.  The other albums are meh.

Tom Waits and Bob Dylan are/were great singers.  Joe Cocker wasn't.

Queen weren't that bad and made some beautiful songs like 'love of my life', and they could've been a good band if they'd got rid of May & Roger Batterie.

Bach's only good tune was 'air'.  The rest of his songs are like listening to maths.  Beethoven pisses all over Bach while he shoots his nephew.

Gainsbourg was shite. Bashung and Nino Ferrer are much better.

Wiley's early singles (collected on Avalanche Tapes) is some of the most important and influential music made in my lifetime.

Every single album made by any type of rapper ever made would be better if I had edited out all the crap filler / singing / and if I had been at the recording to show the rapper the length of Marvin Gaye's what's going on album.

The best Beatles album is Abbey Road.

Sebastian Cobb

She's So Unusual is better than any LP Madonna has ever done.

Dannyhood91

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on April 13, 2018, 08:02:00 PM
Prince made one decent album, and even then it was too long and had crap on it like 'play in the sunshine'.  Purple Rain (the song and the album) is utterly dreadful.  Prince made some good singles.  D'Angelo has made 3 albums and 2 of them are better than any Prince album.

TRIGGERED

Dannyhood91

Tom Waits and Bob Dylan are/were great singers.  Joe Cocker wasn't.

ok i feel better now

itsfredtitmus

Gainsbourg was shite. Bashung and Nino Ferrer are much better.
I care so little for Gainsbourg that the only album I like by him is Rock Around the Bunker

Lemming

Quote from: monolith on April 13, 2018, 08:10:22 PM
Oasis are a great singles band.

Another Oasis potentially-popular-unpopular opinion: Definitely Maybe is one of the best rock albums of the 1990s. I used to prefer What's The Story but a recent re-appraisal has revealed that it's actually shite, but Definitely Maybe stands up perfectly.

Supersonic and Columbia are two superb songs, and the rest of the album isn't far behind. The fucking terrible lyrics (and Liam's inability to pronounce any word in the English language properly) are just part of the charm.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 13, 2018, 04:47:56 PM
Ditto The Cure, it seems, to me. I don't really know anything about them but I've heard their late '80s stuff, and the hits of course, and they don't really do anything for me... but Faith is a great album.

I've only listened to all their albums in full fairly recently and I'm finding a lot to like on all the albums up to and including Wild Mood Swings (which might be an unpopular opinion in itself), but the early darker-sounding material is definitely a lot more interesting.