Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:24:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Unpopular' Opinions (That Are Secretly Popular)

Started by DrGreggles, April 13, 2018, 12:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyhood91

As by George Micheal & Mary J Blige is better than the original by Stevie Wonder

thraxx

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on April 13, 2018, 08:02:00 PM

Gainsbourg was shite. Bashung and Nino Ferrer are much better.

This is a very narrow view of Gainsbourg.  He he did indeed do a lot of shit, but he also went through so many musical styles and collaborations that he still casts a huge musical shadow and still is hugely influential in France outside his music too.

I love Bashung, but you're not pinning Bashung on Osez Josephine are you?  That is a massively overated record.

If you had said Dutronc or Barbara are better, I might have agreed with you.

thraxx

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 13, 2018, 04:47:56 PM
Ditto The Cure, it seems, to me. I don't really know anything about them but I've heard their late '80s stuff, and the hits of course, and they don't really do anything for me... but Faith is a great album.

The Cure are another band who have gone though so many musical phases and styles that they are actually quite hard to classify, but one thing that is sure that their run of records from their debut up to Wish is an astonishingly fertile and brilliant series of records ever.  There are weaker (but not bad) records, sure, (The Top, Japanese Whispers), but it's hard to name a band that has such a good run over a 15 year period.  Even the B-sides compilations are fucking awesome.  Post Wish, noticeable drop off to WMS, which has stood up better over time than expected, after that it's fucking terrible introspective dreary bollocks.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: thraxx on April 13, 2018, 10:30:58 PM
This is a very narrow view of Gainsbourg.  He he did indeed do a lot of shit, but he also went through so many musical styles and collaborations that he still casts a huge musical shadow and still is hugely influential in France outside his music too.

I love Bashung, but you're not pinning Bashung on Osez Josephine are you?  That is a massively overated record.

If you had said Dutronc or Barbara are better, I might have agreed with you.

Yeah I was being a bit OTT, similar to my Bach comment.  They both made so much stuff that I'd be more accurate saying I'd not heard anything that justifies the hype.

Bashung I rate based on Fantasie Militaire and L'imprudence.  Nino Ferrer's album Nino & Radiah is the reason I rate him.  Discovered them all quite recently as I went through a period at the end of last year discovering French music.

Magma (Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh) & the first Le Rita Mitsokou album are better than any Gainsbourg for me as well.  The former being absolutely mental, like the band Focus crossed with Stravinsky's Le Noces or Gamelan.  It sounds like demented Russian voodoo wedding music.

I'll need to check out Dutronc and Barbara. 

thraxx

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on April 13, 2018, 11:29:41 PM
Yeah I was being a bit OTT, similar to my Bach comment.  They both made so much stuff that I'd be more accurate saying I'd not heard anything that justifies the hype.

Bashung I rate based on Fantasie Militaire and L'imprudence.  Nino Ferrer's album Nino & Radiah is the reason I rate him.  Discovered them all quite recently as I went through a period at the end of last year discovering French music.

Magma (Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh) & the first Le Rita Mitsokou album are better than any Gainsbourg for me as well.  The former being absolutely mental, like the band Focus crossed with Stravinsky's Le Noces or Gamelan.  It sounds like demented Russian voodoo wedding music.

I'll need to check out Dutronc and Barbara.

I've never heard of Nino, so I'll listen to that.  Dutronc is just a show off and a piss taker really, but Barbara was fucking amazing, often terribly bleak and sometimes a bit too trad french (you know loads of accordions and pretentious etc...), but amazing like.

Magma are on my lists of bands I love but have never got round to hearing a note of their music.  Really need to solve that.

Oh, and of course, my absolute favorite French songstress is France Gall, and we have Serge to thank for entirely, so I am a bit biased. 

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: thraxx on April 13, 2018, 11:39:21 PM
Magma are on my lists of bands I love but have never got round to hearing a note of their music.  Really need to solve that.

Why do you say this out of interest?  I'm the opposite, I know their music but not much about them.

thraxx

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on April 14, 2018, 12:00:46 AM
Why do you say this out of interest?  I'm the opposite, I know their music but not much about them.

Just heard lots of people say they are awesome, they look awesome, they were in Jodorwsky's Dune.

Sin Agog

Quote from: thraxx on April 13, 2018, 11:39:21 PM
I've never heard of Nino, so I'll listen to that.  Dutronc is just a show off and a piss taker really, but Barbara was fucking amazing, often terribly bleak and sometimes a bit too trad french (you know loads of accordions and pretentious etc...), but amazing like.

Oh, and of course, my absolute favorite French songstress is France Gall, and we have Serge to thank for entirely, so I am a bit biased.

That Nino Ferrer and Radiah album is so...rad, eh?  The perfect merging of psyche pop and funk.  Just couldn't possibly gel better.  Sipping mint tulips...

Also, on the subject of Jacques Dutronc, he may have been a piss-taker, but there are few songs on earth more swag than Hippie Hippie Hoorah.  Always think back to him whenever people start quoting the Simpsons about French rock music being shite.

I actually might prefer Evariste to Serge Gainsbourg.  Love anything with a primitive drum machine, but add fucked up barking and songs about selling your soul to the devil to get better at maths and you've got me.  (His two eps are genuinely great, so this isn't a novelty thing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMOWumBQh7o

To be honest, I've pretty much listened to nothing but ye-ye and j-pop for a couple of years now with a few minor blips.  Will broaden out again eventually, but they serve my needs a little too well.

Psmith

The Dave Clarke Five were better than the Beatles.

(I thought I'd keep the posters talking utter bollocks theme going)

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 14, 2018, 12:21:34 AM
That Nino Ferrer and Radiah album is so...rad, eh?  The perfect merging of psyche pop and funk.  Just couldn't possibly gel better.  Sipping mint tulips...

Yes indeed.  Can't remember how I discovered it.  I think by sheer luck clicking on youtube.

QuoteI actually might prefer Evariste to Serge Gainsbourg.  Love anything with a primitive drum machine, but add fucked up barking and songs about selling your soul to the devil to get better at maths and you've got me.  (His two eps are genuinely great, so this isn't a novelty thing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMOWumBQh7o

This is amazing, although the other less crazy tunes I can find by him on youtube arent.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on April 13, 2018, 10:22:07 PM
As by George Micheal & Mary J Blige is better than the original by Stevie Wonder

Knew you were waiting is an absolute banger.

doppelkorn

I mean this most sincerely: the rapping on Put a Donk on It is better than any syllable Kanye West has ever uttered.

Golden E. Pump

Nowhere Man

As incredible as the Elvis Sun Sessions were, I think it's daft when people try and pretend the 1956-1961 years weren't just as brill. Obviously its cooler to say you liked him more before he became proper mainstream and well known but there's just far too much great stuff after he started at RCA.

The 'Elvis Is Back' era in the early 60s is probably the most fun era to listen to as well, the late 60s Memphis sessions aside.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 13, 2018, 04:10:52 PM
Damon Albarn is actually alright.

Yup and all superior music forums can manage to discuss his musical output without having to bore on about him being a dick every time a thread comes around

Bazooka

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on April 15, 2018, 01:56:27 AM
The Backstreet Boys were fucking excellent.

I think what they did for the exposure of alley ways and jitty's was ahead of it's time

Dr Syntax Head

Never mind the bollocks is musically brilliant and has brilliant guitar playing on it.

Spiteface

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 15, 2018, 11:00:32 AM
Never mind the bollocks is musically brilliant and has brilliant guitar playing on it.

This, I can agree with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SsxRs0vsCA

Steve Jones plays down his abilities here, but he does a lot more with a lot less than some shredders or uber-technical players.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to put some pinup girl stickers on my Les Paul...

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Spiteface on April 15, 2018, 11:56:08 AM
This, I can agree with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SsxRs0vsCA

Steve Jones plays down his abilities here, but he does a lot more with a lot less than some shredders or uber-technical players.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to put some pinup girl stickers on my Les Paul...

That video was ace, thanks. Massive Steve Jones fan here, his tone is just gorgeous. And the obvious influence on James Dean Bradfield is a wonderful thing.

Jockice

Ian Brown's solo material is better than The Stone Roses.

DrGreggles

Dr Syntax Head

The guitar solos on second coming are actually good

Crabwalk

The Manics should've called it a day after 'Everything Must Go'.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Crabwalk on April 15, 2018, 08:24:41 PM
The Manics should've called it a day after 'Everything Must Go'.

I only half agree with this. I think they should have left JDB write the lyrics and call themselves the James Dean Bradfield Band. Because the music is still impeccable.

Dr Syntax Head

MBV should have spent a bit more time on the follow up to Loveless