Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:19:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Unpopular' Opinions (That Are Secretly Popular)

Started by DrGreggles, April 13, 2018, 12:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Crabwalk

If that opinion is secretly popular jockice, people must be much better at keeping secrets than is generally thought.

manticore

My Bloody Valentine were a brilliant live band who let themselves down on their recordings by obsessive overproduction.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Michael Nesmith was a better singer/songwriter than Gram Parsons, and he should be recognised as the true creator and ruling genius of the cosmic American country-rock sound that Parsons claimed as his own.

Sin Agog

I'd say The Dillards deserve the credit in that arena, and The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard and [Gene] Clark is better than anything the Burrito Brother or the Monkee ever put out.  Arguably a way more consistent album than Sweetheart of the Rodeo from the same year. Whatever, I love the jangly bluegrass shit all of them cooked up around that time.

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 16, 2018, 12:48:45 AM
I'd say The Dillards deserve the credit in that arena, and The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard and [Gene] Clark is better than anything Parson or the Monkee ever put out.  Arguably a way more consistent album than Sweetheart of the Radio from the same year, Whatever, I love the jangly bluegrass shit all of them cooked up around that time.

yeah i just love all of that stuff and am grateful that it all exists. really rich period, lots of talent at peak performance across the board

Sin Agog

You heard Have Moicy featuring Peter Stampfel from The Holy Modal Rounders (first band to ever use the word 'psychedelic' on record) and Michael Hurley, Verd?  One of the most joyful albums I own in that style.  Always put it on when the earth's gravity starts getting a bit too noticeable.

Slurf Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZA7OT3Ib5I

Midnight in Paris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7CQBtlreIs

Shaky

Quote from: manticore on April 15, 2018, 11:32:25 PM
My Bloody Valentine were a brilliant live band who let themselves down on their recordings by obsessive overproduction.

I've tried to love, er, Loveless, god knows I have, but bar a handful of tracks it just doesn't work for me at all. Even with all the studio brilliance and gorgeous ambience they were still trying to be a song based band and that album just doesn't have the songs.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Jockice on April 15, 2018, 10:54:29 PM
Sailor were better than Roxy Music.
Was just going through Sailor before
Not sure they're better, but I...

Chriddof

Quote from: Shaky on April 16, 2018, 02:43:16 AM
I've tried to love, er, Loveless, god knows I have, but bar a handful of tracks it just doesn't work for me at all. Even with all the studio brilliance and gorgeous ambience they were still trying to be a song based band and that album just doesn't have the songs.

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jN8SII8ytI

Lemming

The Shonen Knife cover is really incredible. Loveless had always sounded like an impenetrable wall of tuneless droning noise to me, even by shoegaze standards, but when I first heard that cover I thought that if Naoko was able to turn that monotonous droning into a fantastic pop song, there must be something to it, and it got me to re-appraise the whole of Loveless.

That said, I've come to think of Loveless as being decent, but that cover still kicks the shit out of anything MBV did. <<< unpopular/secretly popular opinion

Shaky

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 16, 2018, 02:25:12 AM
You heard Have Moicy featuring Peter Stampfel from The Holy Modal Rounders (first band to ever use the word 'psychedelic' on record) and Michael Hurley, Verd?  One of the most joyful albums I own in that style.  Always put it on when the earth's gravity starts getting a bit too noticeable.

Slurf Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZA7OT3Ib5I

Midnight in Paris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7CQBtlreIs

i have not heard of that record before, but these two tracks you posted here are fantastic, so i'm going to have to track down the album asap

itsfredtitmus

The covers to the Michael Hurley albums remind me of something but I don't know what
might be Ralph Bakshi

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 15, 2018, 11:43:46 PM
Michael Nesmith was a better singer/songwriter than Gram Parsons, and he should be recognised as the true creator and ruling genius of the cosmic American country-rock sound that Parsons claimed as his own.

Nesmith is seriously underrated as a writer.
Even those mostly awful late 60s Monkees albums have the saving grace of some* cracking Nes tunes.

*Loads, if you get the deluxe versions

PowerButchi

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 16, 2018, 08:04:51 AM
Nesmith is seriously underrated as a writer.
Even those mostly awful late 60s Monkees albums have the saving grace of some* cracking Nes tunes.

*Loads, if you get the deluxe versions

Listen to the Band is one of my favourite tracks ever.

Jockice

Quote from: Crabwalk on April 15, 2018, 11:04:22 PM
If that opinion is secretly popular jockice, people must be much better at keeping secrets than is generally thought.

It's a well-known fact. But people just won't admit it. Like curry/Guinness/U2/Graham Norton being crap and Ian Brown solo being better than the Stone Roses, it's total King's New Clothes stuff. But someday everyone will accept that I'm right. And give me all their money too.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: manticore on April 15, 2018, 11:32:25 PM

I have to disagree on this. Live they sounded amazing, as a wall of noise but a lot of the subtleties and hidden melodies that you hear on Loveless were buried. Their more visceral pinky sounding stuff sounds better live though, the Isn't Anything/You made me realise type stuff. That said this is quite close to the recorded version of THKW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DEnwUAzPG4

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Shaky on April 16, 2018, 02:43:16 AM

Trust me the songs are there, just buried under sound and texture.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Psmith on April 14, 2018, 07:40:36 AM
The Dave Clarke Five were better than the Beatles.

Shattering statement. Leaves me in pieces.

Dr Syntax Head

Elbow are brilliant except for that fucking awful Day like today song (turgid pile of shit that was). Especially the first couple of albums.

hermitical

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on April 13, 2018, 10:22:07 PM
As by George Micheal & Mary J Blige is better than the original by Stevie Wonder

The wife agrees if the amount of times I hear it from the kitchen is anything to go by...

hermitical

Coverdale Purple is better than Gillan Purple

the ouch cube

Jim Morrison was a drunkard who only THOUGHT he was a poet

Waters-era Pink Floyd is a bit turgid innit

and

Frank Zappa was quite the sexist sometimes

...are all regular entries in the "I'm gonna blow your tiny minds with my sacred cow slaying" lists, even though all three of those artists split opinions from day one and as such aren't actually sacred cows at all.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 16, 2018, 05:04:55 AM
i have not heard of that record before, but these two tracks you posted here are fantastic, so i'm going to have to track down the album asap

Let me know if you need any 'help'.

Anyway, back to the subject.  Cale>Nico>Reed.  Though I love the glam-trash of Street Hassle.

Chairman Bodog

Hey, I know in the Scripture it says "Judge not, lest ye be judged." But I'm going to just come out and say it. That Ian Watkins guy was a real jerk!