Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:35:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bo' Selecta

Started by bgmnts, April 13, 2018, 02:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Rewatching this at the moment and forgot how funny it was.
It is very peurile and sometimes its a bit too much, especially the Avid crazy stalker stuff, but the masks and stupid voices are brilliant.

Any favourite bits?

One of my favourite stupid bits i totally forgot was Enrique Iglesias' mole:

"Howay, Enrique, let's gan' down the toon".

Replies From View

I enjoyed the first series at the time because it seemed genuinely abrasive towards the nature of celebrity and our cultural obsession with it.  Once it became clear that wasn't true, I lost all interest.

Gulftastic

Quote from: bgmnts on April 13, 2018, 02:51:08 PM
Rewatching this at the moment and forgot how funny it was.
It is very peurile and sometimes its a bit too much, especially the Avid crazy stalker stuff, but the masks and stupid voices are brilliant.

Any favourite bits?

One of my favourite stupid bits i totally forgot was Enrique Iglesias' mole:

"Howay, Enrique, let's gan' down the toon".

When they did the music for the Iglesias bit, they had terrible trouble trying to get permission for their soundalike version of 'Hero', so in they end they used the song about his massive mole as a dig at him.

Utter Shit

Loved it at the time. Zero interest in watching any of it again, but Jacko, Kelly Clarkson and Marilyn Manson were great.

"I call my baby Blanket, why I call my baby Blanket? Cos I put a blanket on that MUTHAFUCKA'S face"

Loved dirty scouse Christina Aguilera

"I'm dead dirty me, Alsations the lot"

studpuppet

I still say "SHAZAYAM!" when I grope the missus.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 13, 2018, 03:46:57 PM
Loved dirty scouse Christina Aguilera

"I'm dead dirty me, Alsations the lot"

The feud between her and Kelly Clarkson is great. Fighter? FIGHTER? I'll fuckin' fight 'er!

SteveDave

I remember taping the first episode and then showing it to people when they stayed over and watching their shock when the bear's cock popped up as he was watching the Liberty Kiss video.

up_the_hampipe

To this day, every time I see Davina McCall, I think of "you're live on Channel 4, please don't say fuck or bugger!"

Malcy

Been meaning to rewatch this myself recently.

Best bit? Meat Loaf and Avid singing to each other on the red carpet and Avid reaction to it all. Brilliant.

hedgehog90

Just before school broke for the summer holidays when everyone mucked about or watched videos, I sensed an opportunity and brought in my vhs copy of the first or second series.
I convinced my chemistry teacher to put it on, the moment it played was when Craig David was on a beach in Majorca standing next to an old woman with her tits out.
Word got back to some parents and the teacher got in trouble.
He died a few years later (cancer).

alan nagsworth

I've got the first two series on DVD and it gets a rewatch every once in a while. It helps that a lot of my close friends also love it, as I can imagine under the wrong type of scrutiny people could judge it as having not aged well, or whatever. Not me, though. I think it's fucking hilarious.

Ant and Dec taking out their earpieces and turning off the autocue every week for the "part of the show where we don't know what's gonna happen", and every time it's Ant getting bummed by someone. "It's like me fawa said when I was a bairn: Let's get crackin' with the knackin'!"

up_the_hampipe

I will admit that, despite some of the awfully tedious guests, I find Celebrity Juice often enjoyable as well. What has happened to this place.

Captain Z

Series 3 goes off a cliff but the first 2 are great. The Michael Jackson special was ok too, I can only ever sing 'Don't stop till you get enough cola cubes' now. Never understood why the bloke from Liberty X seems genuinely angry at Avid for apparently stalking the girl.

P.s. It's Kelly Osbourne, douchebags.

Any news on your transfer?
It's not a transfer, it's a real tattoo! And it says "My name is... *checks* David"

I really fancy beans and liver,
do you deliver
Beans... and liver?

QDRPHNC

Haven't watched it in years, but I remember laughing a lot at the first and second series. I think I watched a few minutes of the third and was turned right off.

Very "of it's time", I would say, without going back to check.

hedgehog90

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 13, 2018, 05:49:43 PM
I will admit that, despite some of the awfully tedious guests, I find Celebrity Juice often enjoyable as well. What has happened to this place.

It's the only show on UK telly right now that I genuinely look forward to every week.
It's trash but it's got soul.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: hedgehog90 on April 13, 2018, 08:08:44 PM
It's the only show on UK telly right now that I genuinely look forward to every week.
It's trash but it's got soul.

Russell Brand as a guest a couple of weeks ago was quite a sight. He seemed out of his depth for once, unable to keep up with the madness.

madhair60

Bo in the USA is one of the funniest things ever. It is stupid. Not "it is stupid", it is stupid.

Avid's song to Vanessa Feltz always makes me smile:

"Lady of the night,
cover me in shite,
let me get inside,
sweet fangita"

DrGreggles

Quote from: Malcy on April 13, 2018, 04:17:04 PM
Been meaning to rewatch this myself recently.

Best bit? Meat Loaf and Avid singing to each other on the red carpet and Avid reaction to it all. Brilliant.

First (only?) thing I thought of when I comes to a 'classic' bit.
Meat Loaf's the American Brian Blessed, isn't it.

Dannyhood91

I do have some good memories of this as a lad and I'm sure if I was to watch a full episode now I probably wouldn't get as much out of it as when I was a horrible little teenager.

Season 3 is a different beast all together. I remember the talk about the schoolyard and even with the unsophisticated taste of a 14 year old it was painfully obvious to me and everyone else that it was absolutely scraping the fucking barrel. There was character called dick nose and the joke was that he had a dick for a nose.

Anyway this is one of the best bits of that there show that we were on about just then there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb5vY2uWlZI

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on April 13, 2018, 09:30:02 PM
There was character called dick nose and the joke was that he had a dick for a nose.

Actually, I believe that he was called Cock-nose.  Not that it makes it any better.

up_the_hampipe

madhair60

Shit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfnZuqpNGzY

Fucking drivel. It makes no sense. Yet I can't help but be amused by it.

Dannyhood91

Quote from: madhair60 on April 13, 2018, 09:39:29 PM

lol at that fucking hop. I don't think I've seen that before

thraxx

Quote from: madhair60 on April 13, 2018, 09:39:29 PM

In Bo Selecta, Leigh Francis know exactly what his strengths and the show's are and he sticks to them rigidly; fucking about and being stupid in 60 second bursts.  It's only in the third series when it jumps the shark and Francis get all careerist that he brings in the slebs in on the joke. 

That Chris Martin one is brilliant, even the way he moves around on one foot is hilarious.

Wet Blanket

It was total nonsense but it did make me laugh. I still sometime say 'All right, gobshite?' like his Christina Aguilera would.

To give Leigh Francis his due, it's a talent of its own to be able to do that cheerfully puerile wee poo willy humour well. Misfire and you get nasty results like Sex Lives of the Potato Men or any of the woeful Viz rip offs.

hedgehog90

I know I posted this in the other thread last week, but this is very fucking funny:

Kerry Katona on This Morning

The framed photo of Pat Sharpe is what makes it.

chrispmartha

Rightly or wrongly im a big fan of early bo selecta, and also its early iteration 'pop stars day off'

This. https://youtu.be/yJMtRfZHKSU

Which was cut from the actual series remains one of the funniest things ive seen.

Famous Mortimer

The one where Michael Jackson invented a time machine still makes me laugh, just thinking about it. I liked pretty much all of Bo Selecta, even that absolutely pointless USA based one.