Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:18:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bo' Selecta

Started by bgmnts, April 13, 2018, 02:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 17, 2018, 11:04:48 AM
That seems to be true. When Nathan Barley came out I seem to remember it being destroyed in the old threads here whereas if you asked people on here now they would probably be more receptive.

Yeah, I liked Nathan Barley, especially the scene where he tries to rap while going down on Claire.

c

That seems to be true. When Nathan Barley came out I seem to remember it being destroyed in the old threads here whereas if you asked people on here now they would probably be more receptive.

Not me. Barley is the worst.

OK, second worst after Derek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqURN67mfJo&t=73s

RenegadeScrew

I liked Bo' Selecta at the time, and I was surprised when I seen it a few years ago and still found it funny/amusing.  I don't think I could watch more than an episode though.

I thought Nathan Barley was good though so I must be a complete buffoon.

Jumblegraws

I lurked around here in those days and I remember thinking that any TV show that wasn't original-run Brasseye was in for a very tough crowd.

I re-watched series 1 Bo Selecta and was surprised at how boring I found it. A lot of the grotesque-mask celebrity sketches are overly-reliant on the assumption that audiences will find mere mention of a famous person funny, à la Friedberg & Seltzer. Season 2 was more consistent in actually giving the characters funny things to do.

Season 3 was bollocks, with the writers getting way above their station in trying their hand at meta-humour in a lot of the sketches that ended up diluting what humor potential was there. Also, the writers seemed to amp-up the extremely dodgy racial caricatures, for example "Trisha" was in a sketch shilling Carribean-themed diet shakes, and the depiction of David Baddiel as a babbling Hasidic Jew was downright appalling. I remember Francis doing an interview after series 2 where he got super-defensive about suggestions of racism and I wondered if the minstrelsy in series 3 was him doubling-down. Also, making Abid a fully-fledged chat show host took away what was for me a legitimately interesting character; a dangerous dweeb dedicating his life to celebrities, like some sort of even more demented Rupert Pupkin.

Never watched The Bear's Tale and never deliberately watched Bo in the USA as I assumed both would be shit.

Malcy

Picked up series 1-2 and A Bear's Tail for £1 today. This thread made me realise i needed a rewatch.

nedthemumbler

Hated it instinctively at the time, possibly because of the type of kids who quoted bits of it and school, and to be honest no desire to explore it now.  I challenge to someone to find a clip that will win me over, as I realise he was very popular so there must be something to it, but I'm afraid his later incarnations have just made that seem even more unlikely.

Malcy

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on May 05, 2018, 04:40:58 PM
Picked up series 1-2 and A Bear's Tail for £1 today. This thread made me realise i needed a rewatch.

Some would argue that's one pound too many pennies.  Not me because I'm kosher, don't you know?

Jockice

Quote from: nedthemumbler on May 05, 2018, 05:36:01 PM
Hated it instinctively at the time, possibly because of the type of kids who quoted bits of it and school.

think yourself lucky. I was at secondary school when The Young Ones was on. "Oh Vivian, are you some kind of s*****c?" etc etc. I actually watched the programme and thought it had its moments (although it was also very overrated) but the kids who were into it were such tossers. Apart from my mate Rich, who was okay.

Malcy

I don't remember hearing Peter Serafinowicz's voice over parts in this before. I always wondered what part Jimmy Carr played in this. I think it was a bit of writing but i reckon he's under the odd mask as well,

Ferris

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 16, 2018, 12:20:17 PM
...I disagree strongly with Charlie Brooker and I don't see him as some wise sage whose opinion is infallible. He hated Monkey Dust as well and I think he was wrong on that too.

One of my all time favourite shows. What was Brooker thinking?

I love Bo Selecta. Silly, surreal, abrasive. All things I enjoy massively. The ones with the celebs in them were shit though.