Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:43:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cabbage

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, April 13, 2018, 09:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Listening to their album now. It's alright.

Paaaaul

I saw them play a couple of years ago. They were really good.
I've not yet enjoyed anything I've heard recorded by then.

Is the album a step up from their EPs?

itsfredtitmus

hang on, be right back, just naming one of my albums 'nihilistic glamour shots' and 'uber capitalist death trade'

itsfredtitmus

sleaford mods and art brut are to blame for bands like this aren't they?

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I blame the Tories.

iamcoop

Quote from: Paaaaul on April 13, 2018, 09:43:16 PM
I saw them play a couple of years ago. They were really good.
I've not yet enjoyed anything I've heard recorded by then.

Is the album a step up from their EPs?

Album is ok. A couple of decent tracks. Some truly abysmal lyrics and plodding music make for a pretty underwhelming listen overall.

If you want a good fix of youthful, grotty post punk may I point you towards Songs of Praise by Shame which is infinitely better.

Kane Jones

Quote from: iamcoop on April 14, 2018, 01:27:44 PM
If you want a good fix of youthful, grotty post punk may I point you towards Songs of Praise by Shame which is infinitely better.

I've not listened to Cabbage (I can't get past the awful name), but this album is mighty good. I'm not into guitars much at the moment, but the opening riff to the first track is one of the first guitar songs in a while to give me goosebumps. When the drums kick in... Ruddy great.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: iamcoop on April 14, 2018, 01:27:44 PM
Album is ok. A couple of decent tracks. Some truly abysmal lyrics and plodding music make for a pretty underwhelming listen

A million times yes! I've been banging on about this lot for ages (I'm not Steve Lamacq). They almost sound like an angrier Senseless Things.

jobotic

I heard an interview with them on Radio 5 and I thought it was Sleaford Mods for about ten minutes. I know they have different accents but I was washing up and I'm not very interested in either of them.

I did spend an hour in Sleaford last year though.

holyzombiejesus

Are Cabbage the band whose singer sexually assaulted that young girl in their audience?

iamcoop

I saw Shame last Wednesday at The Cluny in Newcastle. They were fucking brilliant. But by Christ are they young! It was honestly like a group of year 9's coming on stage. Most charismatic frontman I've seen in aons as well. I think this tours all sold out but they're doing a bigger one later this year so if you get the chance, see them as they're excellent.

spamwangler

wow its like the dead kennedys meets the dead kennedys

Pebble_Mill

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 14, 2018, 03:07:00 PM
Are Cabbage the band whose singer sexually assaulted that young girl in their audience?

Yes. There is a thread of outrage about that here - https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/this-review-of-the-cabbage-album-is-a-disgrace/24242

Brundle-Fly

Shaky

I'd never heard of this lot until Nicky Wire mentioned them in an interview last week. Uber Capitalist Death Trade is a decent slab of silly, angry punkiness. That name though. Sheesh,

Icehaven

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 14, 2018, 08:44:54 PM
Brundle-Fly ahead of the curve

*cough

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55909.0

I was reading this thread thinking I'd never heard of Cabbage, then clicked on your link only to find I've posted in that thread too, and about another band I'd forgotten even existed. Who am I again?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: icehaven on April 16, 2018, 01:44:57 PM
I was reading this thread thinking I'd never heard of Cabbage, then clicked on your link only to find I've posted in that thread too, and about another band I'd forgotten even existed. Who am I again?

Mister Wonderful.