Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:49:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Being Blacker (Molly Dineen's latest documentary)

Started by hedgehog90, April 13, 2018, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

It was broadcast almost a month ago but somehow I didn't get round to watching this until earlier this evening.
It's a wonderful documentary following the life of Blacker Dread (real name Steve Martin), a Jamaican record store owner in Brixton, a large figure of the community for around 40 years.
It has a really wonderful vibe throughout that is just pure Molly Dineen, even though much of it is rather troubling and new to an ignorant Devonshire boy like myself.
The spirit of the community is captured gloriously, the few brief shots of Saint Thomas Parish in Jamaica looked incredible... and the guy's dreads are really impressive. I don't care what he said I want to touch them!

WATCH IT

There's still 5 days left on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09w3wjg/being-blacker

And if you haven't already, check out some of Dineen's other documentaries.
I'd recommend Home from the Hill first but I can't find it online, so check out Heart of the Angel if you're not familiar.

EDIT: Cobb, just noticed your thread in Oscillations. This seems like a better place to discuss it though so don't hold nuffink against me aight. Peace.

Rocket Surgery

I watched it more or less by accident (probably saw the word 'reggae' and auto-clicked - though music didn't play a big part in the film in the end) and thought it was good telly.

Never heard of Molly Dineen but will be watching Heart of the Angel tonight on your say-so. (ie. if it's shite you're not invited to my birthday)

RedRevolver

Loved this. Absolutely loved it.

It was lovely to see home, it was lovely to see a representative of some of the best people who made South London a rich and vibrant place to grow up and it was heartening to see people from that specific community talk about migration, its problems, the racism that used to exist (and to some degree, still does, even if it pertains more to institutionalised poverty than active racism (although I don't dismiss that, either)) and addressing 'black-on-black' crime, which has always been troubling for me, seeing good young men die, for what?

It was funny, it was eye-opening, I don't think I've seen a documentary I've enjoyed quite that much and felt quite so moved by. There's so much poignancy to it.

manticore

Thanks very much for the alert - I'll make sure to watch this tonight.

Utter Shit

Watched this off the back of this thread and really enjoyed it. Didn't shy away from the bad decisions some of the people involved made, but didn't damn them either. Real people making real mistakes and trying to overcome them. Even as someone from London the grim acceptance of young people dying is an eye-opener, it's something I was aware of in my area (Harrow) but not something I ever had to face even indirectly. Horribly sad.

Loved the way the accents change dependent on the scenario, my mum is like this - one trip back to Dublin for the weekend and she spends the next month talking like she works on the Jamestown market.

Dannyhood91

I've just seen this thanks to this thread. I enjoyed it. Some bits were upsetting. I really liked Blackers mate who wanted to be a chauffeur.

manticore

That was so interesting and affecting, so many stories. Blacker seems like a fascinating man and I could have watched a whole lot more about him and also his ex-armed robber friend - it's so strange when you see someone so likeable who has also done things like hold up places and shoot policemen. It was very interesting what Blacker said about political correctness and racism under the carpet. And Black A Kill Black is still such a horrible problem.