Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:33:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Miloš Forman

Started by zomgmouse, April 14, 2018, 08:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Everything from Loves of a Blonde and The Firemen's Ball to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus, everything Miloš Forman touched had a tenderness and savageness that created truly astounding films. RIP.

Twit 2

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

[tag]Man on the Mo(rtuary slab)[/tag]

the science eel

Quote from: zomgmouse on April 14, 2018, 08:08:56 AM
Everything from Loves of a Blonde and The Firemen's Ball to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus, everything Miloš Forman touched had a tenderness and savageness that created truly astounding films. RIP.

Yep. The most human director I can think of. He was funny and charismatic, too - a real mensch.

I went to see something at the Karlovy Vary film festival a few years ago, and before the main feature there was a short black-and-white clip showing Forman using his Oscar to grind up his tablets so he could swallow them easily (this was revealed to the audience slowly). Once the clip was over - it ended with MF sort of shrugging and smiling - it/he got a standing ovation. It was incredibly moving.

RIP.

marquis_de_sad

I like this interview with the young Milos. A revealing quote:

QuoteI used to love Italian neorealist films, they have the same style as documentary films, but I think neorealist films are films which have a message, and I prefer films from the heart.

Glebe

Crikey. Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus are classics, Larry Flynt I've only seen once, but I recall it being pretty good. Besides them, I've not actually seen any of his other films... I never got round to MotM somehow.

the science eel

See The Firemen's Ball if you haven't already. It's just beautiful.

Z

Never really liked him, but I haven't seen The Fireman's Ball, Taking Off and Ragtime yet; I kinda expect to really like at least one of those. Anyone wanna recommend an order?

watch them in that order. Taking Off is a bit of an underrated gem