Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:07:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaguely remembered programmes/ bands/ films from many years ago... what WERE they?

Started by 23 Daves, January 28, 2005, 03:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Fucknose"Advert - Years ago, during the school holidays me and my brother would get up to watch an ad that was on at about 9.20am every day. it was like a series and the character was called 'Herbert the Terbert'. No fuckin idea what it was advertising but this has been bugging me for YEARS.

Did it have a fish in it?  It might be Herbert the Turbot...

I've not seen it, I'm just speculating.

Deadman97

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"
Quote from: "Fucknose"Advert - Years ago, during the school holidays me and my brother would get up to watch an ad that was on at about 9.20am every day. it was like a series and the character was called 'Herbert the Terbert'. No fuckin idea what it was advertising but this has been bugging me for YEARS.

It WAS Herbert the Turbot and I've got exactly the same peripheral memory-of-a-memory about that and it's now driving me bonkers too. So thanks for that.

Fucknose

SHit - yeah, should've noticed my shitty spelling mistkae - oops. But WELL glad someone else remembers it and I'm not going mad.....now I'm off to find the said Fish....

Jaffa The Cake

ITV comedy about solicitors. The start sequence had clockwork monkies, and a woman's name in it was Stella.

What was it called?

TJ

Quote from: "Deadman97"
Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"

It WAS Herbert the Turbot and I've got exactly the same peripheral memory-of-a-memory about that and it's now driving me bonkers too. So thanks for that.

For Findus, wasn't it? Supposed to be a long-running 'If You See Sid, Tell Him'-type campaign but it bombed and they withdrew it.

phantom power

Quote from: "Jaffa The Cake"ITV comedy about solicitors. The start sequence had clockwork monkies, and a woman's name in it was Stella.

What was it called?

"Is it Legal?" The clockwork monkeys are probably the only thing I can remember about it though...

nixon

Quote from: "Fucknose"kids programme - in the nineties, where a pyramid shaped thing that glowed spoke to the main characters in this really  scarey voice saying 'yamada' or summat like that. Proper wierd

either  "chocky" "chocky's children "  or "chocky's challenge" or "children of  the dog star"  the triangular thing in that was weather vane on a barn that was actually a piece of an alien space probe...

Bingo Fury

Okay, how about this one? A children's drama from the 70s, the kind that ITV would screen at about 4.20pm.  Unless I'm hopelessly confused, it was set in Britain during the era of slavery, and had a sort of wooden cylindrical piece of African art which sat on a table as an ornament and every so often would "wake up" and start emanating this monosyllabic chant which sounded like "boy .... boy ... boy", upon which strange things may have started happening. I didn't dream this. At least  I don't think I did

TJ

Quote from: "Bingo Fury"Okay, how about this one? A children's drama from the 70s, the kind that ITV would screen at about 4.20pm.  Unless I'm hopelessly confused, it was set in Britain during the era of slavery, and had a sort of wooden cylindrical piece of African art which sat on a table as an ornament and every so often would "wake up" and start emanating this monosyllabic chant which sounded like "boy .... boy ... boy", upon which strange things may have started happening. I didn't dream this. At least  I don't think I did

"The Georgian House"?

La Tristesse Durera

Could anyone, please let me know if they remember a programme where one of the characters, a small Scouse woman, possibly called Brenda, would occasionally sit upside down on the sofa and watch tv? It's not Bread is it? Does anybody know what I'm on about or is my head just a whole new kind of fucked?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "nixon"
Quote from: "Fucknose"kids programme - in the nineties, where a pyramid shaped thing that glowed spoke to the main characters in this really  scarey voice saying 'yamada' or summat like that. Proper wierd

either  "chocky" "chocky's children "  or "chocky's challenge" or "children of  the dog star"  the triangular thing in that was weather vane on a barn that was actually a piece of an alien space probe...
yamada?  If you mean jemeda then it cropped up in this thread and I could have sworn we got an answer but on reading the thread I didn't find it.

Des Nilsen

Quote from: "La Tristesse Durera"Could anyone, please let me know if they remember a programme where one of the characters, a small Scouse woman, possibly called Brenda, would occasionally sit upside down on the sofa and watch tv? It's not Bread is it? Does anybody know what I'm on about or is my head just a whole new kind of fucked?

Bloody hell, long lost memory alert...

I don't know what the programme is, sorry to say, but I do remember something relating to it. I remember seeing it and copying the watching TV upside down on the sofa thing. I was quite young - when did you see this?

-

TJ

Quote from: "Des Nilsen"
Quote from: "La Tristesse Durera"Could anyone, please let me know if they remember a programme where one of the characters, a small Scouse woman, possibly called Brenda, would occasionally sit upside down on the sofa and watch tv? It's not Bread is it? Does anybody know what I'm on about or is my head just a whole new kind of fucked?

Bloody hell, long lost memory alert...

I don't know what the programme is, sorry to say, but I do remember something relating to it. I remember seeing it and copying the watching TV upside down on the sofa thing. I was quite young - when did you see this?

-

"Watching", isn't it? I suspect I may have been slightly older than yourselves when it was on, as I was more interested in Liza Tarbuck than what the characters actually did.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "La Tristesse Durera"sit upside down on the sofa and watch tv?

May not be what you're after but I did see this happen on The Liver Birds.

Pinball

Quote from: "The Fanciful Norwegian"
Quote from: "fanny splendid"A short series in a similar manner to GBH, about the labour party trying, and eventually succeeding in winning a general election in the eighties. The series ended with the country nearly going broke, but being saved by Soviet gold?

A Very British Coup.
bump

ITV4 recently repeated all three (60-minute) episodes of this excellent programme, which I recorded. It explores the fascinating scenario of a British PM attempting to remove US military forces and disarm our nuclear deterrent, amongst many other things. The US uses IMF funding as leverage, MI5 colludes with the CIA, the chief scientific advisor to the MoD on nukes is killed by MI5 (sounds familiar?), there is a media baron trying to destroy the PM and receiving info from MI5 etc.

Oh, and one of the advisors to the programme (made in 1988 by C4) was Alastair Campbell!

I don't recall this prog ever being repeated before, and though I'm not surprised, it is a real shame...

Favourite quote:

PM - "The UK no longer wants to be an aircraft carrier for the Americans"

Catalogue Trousers

phantom power wrote (over a year ago!):

QuoteAlso, does anyone remember a bizarre American series from the 4 Later strand called Spy Game? Or possibly Spy Games, I think there was a film with a similar name. It was a slightly surreal drama series about a US intelligence agency that seemed to be privately funded. In order to get into the secret base, they had to drive their car very fast towards a brick wall that would open up at the last second to let them in. I distinctly remember one episode about a woman who wanted to stop all of the traffic lights from working. I think it got cancelled pretty quickly in America... which is a shame, becuase from the handful of episodes I saw it was very entertaining in a nonsensical sort of way...

Bloody right it was! A great little series courtesy of Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert's gang, which sadly only made the one season before they moved on to the still-fun, but not so groovy, Hercules and Xena series.

A superspy in a comfy pullover, a gorgeous female sidekick (Alison Smith, wasn't she played by? Surprised me when I found that out!), Patrick MacNee in a semi-regular role, and one of the coolest theme tunes ever. Does anyone know where a copy of that theme - or any episodes - might be found?

Along with such brilliant episode titles as You Just Can't Trust Anybody These Days. Very much (as MacNee's presence might have indicated) an American Avengers, and rather good as well.

thugler

I remember a kids show, on BBC, in the mid-early nineties. Which was something to do with computers taking over the world, and hypnotising people when they typed in 'hello'. Anyone recall what it was?

butnut

thugler

nah I'm pretty sure it wasn't that. But it was similar. It definately had a different bad guy.

Catalogue Trousers

thugler

that's it I think! thanks.kate winslet was in it too apparently.

Catalogue Trousers

And Jacqueline "Servalan" Pearce. And the legend that was and is Cyril Shaps...

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Bingo Fury"Okay, how about this one? A children's drama from the 70s, the kind that ITV would screen at about 4.20pm.  Unless I'm hopelessly confused, it was set in Britain during the era of slavery, and had a sort of wooden cylindrical piece of African art which sat on a table as an ornament and every so often would "wake up" and start emanating this monosyllabic chant which sounded like "boy .... boy ... boy", upon which strange things may have started happening. I didn't dream this. At least  I don't think I did

"The Georgian House"?

Yes, definitely The Georgian House.  My mum, for years, would whisper 'boy...boy...boy' at me and always mention it was from a TV show I used to watch, although I never had any memory of it.  It was only after asking about it in a similar thread here, I found out it was The Georgian House.  After that, I searched the net to see what else I could find out about it.  It was made in 1976 (and presumably aired sometime early in '77) so it's no wonder I've forgotten it.  As far as I know, it's remained unseen since.

The Widow of Brid

Quote from: "fanny splendid"
Also, I'm in search of a book about a college lecturer who is politically active, leaning way to the left, and trying to organise his students to protest the imminent arrival of a Eugenics professor to give a lecture. In amongst all of this he tries to sleep with as many women as possible, culminating at the end of the book in a big party in which his wife commits suicide.

I think.

The History Man, by Malcolm Bradbury. Allegedly based on Laurie Taylor, though Taylor denies this (well he would, wouldn't he?). BBC made an adaption in the late seventies-early eighties I think. Very good book.

Phil_A

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"
Quote from: "nixon"

yamada?  If you mean jemeda then it cropped up in this thread and I could have sworn we got an answer but on reading the thread I didn't find it.

Referring back to the other thread, I can confirm Jemeda was actually the shape-shifting villian in "Watt On Earth" - he was always hunting Watt for some reason, and every time he appeared in some cunning new guise the soundtrack would go "JEMEDAAAAAH!", spookily. I don't remember any talking pyramids in that, though.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "Pinball"
Quote from: "The Fanciful Norwegian"
A Very British Coup.
bump

ITV4 recently repeated all three (60-minute) episodes of this excellent programme, which I recorded.

It's now available to buy on DVD.  It also appears to have been directed by Mick Jackson, who of course made Threads.

actwithoutwords

there was a film on telly in the late eighties/very early nineties that was set in a mad max-esque post-apocalyptic kind of world involving kids playing some kind of violent roller hockey game. the film centred around one particular team as they succeeded on their own terms etc etc.
it's been bugging me ever since what that bloody film was.

Mr Colossal

well you haven't said that it's not Rollerball, which is the obvious one that springs to mind.

there's another similar one too, which centered around a half pipe i think- where I think  they'd skate back and forth and bash each other in a  kind of duel?   Im trying hard to remember it, all i can remember is that the lead had long hair and it was a bit like the Warriors.

actwithoutwords

sorry, i should have specified that. no it's not. the game is done in some sort of ramshackle venue organised by the kids themselves.