Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:55:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does Life Begin At 40?

Started by Konki, April 14, 2018, 03:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konki

I've got less than six months left until the big four-oh and I'm feeling pretty positive. I've spent the last two years retraining for a new career and have just secured a job which starts in September. Not everything is hunky dory, there's some heartbreaking stuff going on in my private life, but I'm certainly much more laid back and more secure than I was when I turned 30.

Any of you over-forties having the best time since sliced bread or are you just going to hell in a handcart?

Any of you on the 'right side' of 40 dreading the shit out it or is age just a number to you?

Alberon

Age is just a number, a depressingly large number.

40 is when everything starts to fall apart. I need glasses in low light and I have to shave my ears these days!

shiftwork2

Quote from: Konki on April 14, 2018, 03:21:58 PM
I've got less than six months left

Yep, heh heh.

In all seriousness though you should be pretty relaxed about this. Respite is on its way courtesy of the jaws of death.  Then it's an eternal fall into the abyss of nothing.

Are you having a party?

massive bereavement

I'd say life has got better as I've gone along but it looks as though it peaked around 40 and is now going downhill again.

Replies From View

Those in the know use the word "life" as code for "the great descent".

Like a big slide, innit, life.  WEEEEEEEE

Konki

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 14, 2018, 03:38:01 PM
Are you having a party?

Undecided yet. It took ages to clear up after my wife's 40th party last year. I probably should though considering the abyss awaits.

greenman

About 6 weeks left for me, can't have a midlife crisis if you never grew up in the first place I spose.

Replies From View

Quote from: Konki on April 14, 2018, 03:50:57 PM
Undecided yet. It took ages to clear up after my wife's 40th party last year.

Shitting herself the entire time?

And you started this thread pretending not to know.

We all have it coming to us.  You can't evade nature by avoiding the party.  It's coming mate.  Perpetual shitting is right there on the horizon and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Butchers Blind

*insert old joke about John Lennon*

thraxx

It is just a number and my 30s were brilliant, far better than my cunting 20s. However, as robust as I feel in life, weird feeling to note that the knees are starting to fail, younger people cruising past you in footy, and realising that you are probably quite set in your ways, unwilling or unable to adapt etc...  The 40s are fine, come in the water's lovely.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greenman on April 14, 2018, 03:53:34 PM
About 6 weeks left for me, can't have a midlife crisis if you never grew up in the first place I spose.

42 in a couple of weeks...how did that happen? I'm still 14, I'm still 14!!!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thraxx on April 14, 2018, 04:01:13 PM
It is just a number and my 30s were brilliant, far better than my cunting 20s. However, as robust as I feel in life, weird feeling to note that the knees are starting to fail, younger people cruising past you in footy, and realising that you are probably quite set in your ways, unwilling or unable to adapt etc...  The 40s are fine, come in the water's lovely.

I get pissed off when this schoolgirl comes charging past me on my walk to work so I speed up and (menacingly?) track her. By the time I arrive at work my shin splints have me in agony and I feel dead. I'm still 14! I'm the fastest walker in the town!!!

Konki

Quote from: Replies From View on April 14, 2018, 03:57:01 PM
Shitting herself the entire time?

You say that but I actually did shit myself a few weeks back (for the first time in about 20 years) while I was ill. I was going to start a thread about it once back to full fitness but completely forgot. Thanks for reminding me. Still, only fouling oneself twice in 20 years isn't a bad ratio I guess.

Dusty Gozongas

Arbitrary age shite.

It always lies somewhere between "Get over it!" and "Live! Laugh! Love!"

Happy Birthday hun X

DrGreggles

QuoteDoes Life Begin At 40?

No. It's fucking shit.

mothman

Yes, but by way of compensating, my sex life stopped.

bgmnts

Quote from: mothman on April 14, 2018, 07:33:48 PM
Yes, but by way of compensating, my sex life stopped.

My hope is when i hit 40 my sex life will start.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: bgmnts on April 14, 2018, 08:08:20 PM
My hope is when i hit 40 my sex life will start.

Dream on hun x

biggytitbo

I didn't think 40 was a big deal at the time but subconsciously I realised I was on the downward slope to painful decrepitude and death and that caused my crazy life decision last year.

non capisco

I'm 40 in just over four months. The looming prospect of World War 3 has helped to take my mind off it a bit to be honest but I still welcome any suggestions for mid life crisis-y things I could perhaps get up to in August if the planet isn't already a charred nub by then. I'm trying to think of some but as I don't really give a shit they keep coming out as more like new year's resolutions.

king_tubby

I had a kid at 41. Dunno about life beginning, but life has certainly been turned right upside down.

shiftwork2

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 14, 2018, 08:15:12 PMmy crazy life decision last year.

Would you like to share this with the group?  Comedy answers involving something unlikely happening with a budgerigar or Bernard Bresslaw are not what we're after.

Danger Man

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 14, 2018, 08:15:12 PM
I didn't think 40 was a big deal at the time but subconsciously I realised I was on the downward slope to painful decrepitude and death and that caused my crazy life decision last year.

Sell gold?

Brundle-Fly

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 14, 2018, 06:56:59 PM
No. It's fucking shit.

Absolutely. 40 itself was fine for me, which gave me a false sense of security.

biggytitbo

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 14, 2018, 08:46:55 PM
Would you like to share this with the group?  Comedy answers involving something unlikely happening with a budgerigar or Bernard Bresslaw are not what we're after.

It's too terrible to describe, which is why i have already described it on this forum.

Psmith

Blimey I thought everyone on here was about 14.

imitationleather

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 14, 2018, 08:15:12 PM

Bought a wig?

nero

I'm 38. I just got another tattoo. No fucks given, me.

Everyone around me is horrified and I'm sat here grinning safe in the knowledge that I'm down with the kids.

poo

There's a good reason why the big 4-0 is to be feared - everything goes to fucking fuck.